Where can I find information about the BMD Cloud?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Where can I find information about the BMD Cloud?

PostFri May 06, 2022 9:13 pm

I'm looking for information about the cloud library from BMD that can be accessed from DVR 18. I recall Grant talking about it. I wanted to know more about it - details, pricing, and hopefully some documentation on utilizing it.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Andy Mees

Re: Where can I find information about the BMD Cloud?

PostSat May 07, 2022 10:03 pm

Have a look at Chapter 193 in the DaVinci Resolve 18 Manual, Ellory, specifically the section on Cloud Project Libraries (pg 3932) that explains that Cloud Project Libraries (project libraries are just BMD's new name for project databases) are hosted on BMD's own Project Library Servers at datacenters around the world that you access remotely. The section offers info on working with projects stored in these remote databases (libraries) and setting up cloud based collaborative workflows that use them. Documentation wise, this chapter contains largely all there currently is to tell.

Pricing wise, seems pretty straightforward... each project library (database) that they host for you currently costs you $5 USD per month. (You have to register your payment method with your BMD Cloud ID before you can create a library). Up to 10 users can access the same library. All users you invite need to register a BMD Cloud ID (free), only the 'owner' of the library pays the hosting fee. Beyond the project server, any cloud based file sharing, if you are not shipping drives, is handled per your choice of file sharing service (Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc) obviously with whatever separate cost that may incur. Everyone signs up as necessary to access the shared folder etc... this is all coming from the manual by the way.

I dare say there may be more official documentation once its actually a fully fledged shipping product (vs beta). As is, for 5 bucks it's probably not going to break the bank to try it out and test the latency of working with a remote project library from your location.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Ellory Yu

Re: Where can I find information about the BMD Cloud?

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:38 am

Andy Mees wrote:Have a look at Chapter 193 in the DaVinci Resolve 18 Manual, Ellory, specifically the section on Cloud Project Libraries (pg 3932) that explains that Cloud Project Libraries (project libraries are just BMD's new name for project databases) are hosted on BMD's own Project Library Servers at datacenters around the world that you access remotely. The section offers info on working with projects stored in these remote databases (libraries) and setting up cloud based collaborative workflows that use them. Documentation wise, this chapter contains largely all there currently is to tell.

Pricing wise, seems pretty straightforward... each project library (database) that they host for you currently costs you $5 USD per month. (You have to register your payment method with your BMD Cloud ID before you can create a library). Up to 10 users can access the same library. All users you invite need to register a BMD Cloud ID (free), only the 'owner' of the library pays the hosting fee. Beyond the project server, any cloud based file sharing, if you are not shipping drives, is handled per your choice of file sharing service (Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc) obviously with whatever separate cost that may incur. Everyone signs up as necessary to access the shared folder etc... this is all coming from the manual by the way.

I dare say there may be more official documentation once its actually a fully fledged shipping product (vs beta). As is, for 5 bucks it's probably not going to break the bank to try it out and test the latency of working with a remote project library from your location.

Hey Andy, thanks for summing it up. I have to read the 18 manual because my work setup is still on 17. My 18 is on another computer that I play around to try the new features when I have some downtime. $5 is a sweet deal. I will check it out in the coming weekend.

For the remote file sharing, on another forum someone suggested a cheap peer to peer file sharing solution. I am checking that out too. Here’s the link to the post on it. It’s called Rosalio.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=160072&p=848837#p848720
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production