Is there a way to get Intensity Pro on my PC?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

lookitdisguy

Is there a way to get Intensity Pro on my PC?

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 10:33 pm

This is my current PC:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02628244&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5049516#N361

I have only upgraded the ram to 16gb and wanted to buy an Intensity Pro to install on the available PCIe slot that it has.

The problem that I am having is that there is this note in the description of the "video graphics"

"NOTE:*Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently."

I wanted to know if it's possible to get a regular PCI graphics card since I know that the integrated card on the PC is not adequate for the Pro while still use the PCIe slot for the pro to use. Or will the PC automatically assume that anything that goes into the PCIe slot MUST be a graphics card??

If this can be done and anyone has a recommended PCI graphics card I would greatly appreciate the help..

If this cannot be done then I guess there is nothing I can do because this PC does not have USB 3.0 and I heard that not all USB 3.0's work with the shuttle.

Thanks

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Is there a way to get Intensity Pro on my PC?

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Err...okay. I've looked at this system and the motherboard has 3 additional 1x lane PCI-express slots. One of these should be useable by the Intensity Pro without issue.

The note you are reading is telling you that you can use EITHER an added Graphics card (say an nVidia GTX580) OR the onboard (built into the motherboard). Which is fine. You can disable that onboard in the BIOS and use an add-in Graphics card.

The Intensity Pro is NOT a graphics card so it shouldn't cause an issue there.

That said, we haven't tested this system for compatibility so I cannot promise it would work, but just from looking at it I cannot see why it would not.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

lookitdisguy

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:Err...okay. I've looked at this system and the motherboard has 3 additional 1x lane PCI-express slots. One of these should be useable by the Intensity Pro without issue.

The note you are reading is telling you that you can use EITHER an added Graphics card (say an nVidia GTX580) OR the onboard (built into the motherboard). Which is fine. You can disable that onboard in the BIOS and use an add-in Graphics card.

The Intensity Pro is NOT a graphics card so it shouldn't cause an issue there.

That said, we haven't tested this system for compatibility so I cannot promise it would work, but just from looking at it I cannot see why it would not.

ohh ok that's great news to me then cause that means I have an order to place..

So I just need to order the Pro and also a video card as well since the on board one will not work... I guess the video card will use the PCIe x16 slot and the Pro one of the 3 PCIe x1 slots.

Thanks for your help on this.

Also would have have any good/cheap recommendations for a video card, I have heard it does not need to be anything fancy but I just want to make sure before I buy.

lookitdisguy

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 12:08 am

This card seems like it should work right?

I know you guys cannot guarantee anything but does this look like it should work?

http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Radeon-Express-Graphics-900331/dp/B004DCA8W6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345766661&sr=8-2&keywords=VisionTek+PCI+Express+x16

Return to Post Production