Laptop posibilities in 2022

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

tomwman

Laptop posibilities in 2022

PostTue May 10, 2022 7:31 pm

Hello everyone, i try last few weeks find some good answers for me and for choosing new pc for BMD DR studio.

At first let me kindly thank you to all that will help and give me answers. Am sorry for english if i make some mistake, im writting from phone so some mistake can be here.. Also here are sources which i mainly make and do in DR:

-editing video in 1080p or 3840p timeline
-files are mostly from mirorless cameras Panasonic or Sony so video up to 6k 10bit 4:2:2- 90% of all time i can tell its 4k 25fps video from sony a7s3 with 10bit 422, and 4k 100fps at same 10bit ( sometimes i get few raw files from bmp 6k - but maybe once per year i have thoose files.)
-timeline is mostly under 10 minutes
-minimum fusion clips (95% are titles)
-coloring clips (with about 5-10 nodes)

Thoose are things i used to make 99% of time and i had for last 2 years HP OMEN 15.6" dh0107nc

I mostly of all above do coloring or correcting in color page, thats where i spent most of time. This is why i am looging for better screen, as you can see that HP OMEN have "on paper" 100%dci-p3 coverage.
I travell lot, I've also considered building a pc many times, but at the moment it still doesn't pay off for me. I don't have a monitor at home, maybe in time I'll buy it as a second monitor at home, but I'm still looking for a quality screen in my laptop.

The second main information is that apple isnt an option. I think about apple many times, and yes i do not have nothing bad with it, but lot of app i need to use are working only with Windows, and thats maybe why i am not able to take apple now. If I wasn't limited by windovs, I really like the new ones apple laptop versions. Unfortunately, as well as the "technician" who works with dji products, I must be able to have my ntb work with dji applications such as dji assistant and they only work on windows. Also i use dji terra which have acceleration for RTX cards only... so my choices are shrinking.

Actually on market HP isnt good in my opinion, qualitty is much worse than years ago. I am decideing to grab Dell or Asus or maybe Gygabite, if you should be able to help me.

Now, most models which i found to be really great for me, arent no longer at stock... (sad but true, trust me i search whole our market), i found model from ASUS : G533ZW-LN123W and G533QS-HQ221T (links will be in the end). Thoose two have 100% dci p3 screen and are new models with solid specs, but i am not really sure with build qualitty . Then i had my NO 1. which was dell: N-AWm15R5-N2-951K. Trust me or not, month back this ntb was able to buy and now dell isnt able to supply this model so its EOL. Last one opinion is Gigabyte: XE4-73EE614SH. . I do not have experience with this brand, but it looks like it have solid screen with calibration. So if someone have this model or know them, i would be glad for some feedback.

Now to my questions... I really have Dell as number 1. models i found which should be also good for me and are awalible to order are: N-G5521-N2-715K-US, N-AWm15R5-N2-752K - thoose two notebook should be maybe good for me at least for next year or two. BUT ! DELL claim that thoose two notebooks have 99% DCI-P3 coverage, and now i am not really sure if it should be good or not. In any cases i will calibrate monitor.

My two questions should be:

1, do you think that display that claim 99% dci-p3 which will be calibratet is still better than 100% dci-p3?
2, do you think AMD Ryzen R7 5800H and 3060 will be enought for at least 4k 10 bit "smooth" editing (it will suffice in half or quarter mode)?

Thanky ou all for helping me !

links (sorry i figure out that i cant post links, but when you type https://www it may work...) :
asus
G533ZW-LN123W- (here without www, just https://) rog.asus.com/cz/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-scar-15-2022-series/spec
G533QS-HQ221T- .jrc.cz/ASUS-ROG-Strix-SCAR-15-G533QS-HQ221T-cerny-p15469

Gigabyte
XE4-73EE614SH - .czc.cz/gigabyte-aero-5-xe4-intel-12th-gen-cerna/338000/produkt

Dell
N-AWm15R5-N2-951K - .czc.cz/alienware-m15-ryzen-editon-cerna_6/323283/produkt
N-G5521-N2-715K-US - .czc.cz/dell-15-g15-5521-special-edition-cerna_5/341919/produkt
N-AWm15R5-N2-752K - .czc.cz/alienware-m15-ryzen-editon-cerna_2/323282/produkt

Uli Plank

Re: Laptop posibilities in 2022

PostWed May 11, 2022 1:06 am

Next week I'll have an Asus ProArt laptop for extensive testing against my MacBook Pro. If you can wait, I'll report my findings to you.
Can you please prepare a clip in 6K for download? I've only got UHD in 10 bit 422 GOP codecs (but all kinds of BRAW footage).
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

tomwman

PostMon May 16, 2022 6:00 pm

Hi Uli,
thank you for answer, of course I can wait. At the moment I didn't have BM raw files, cause I had only sony a7s3 - so 10 bit and that BM raw files I sometimes get from client. But I dont care if I have to make om or proxy at bm raw, so 10 bit should be enough for me. Actually I got reply from our local dell dealer and he wrote me that due to new display panels all new AW models will be 99% DCI P3 only. (Just for info). But I got offer for solid dell with new ryzen 7, RTX 3070ti and 32gb ddr5ram w/ 1TB ssd dell AW model also with their QHD display. But still I am waiting for some other models.

Thank You for now and I would be glad to hear your results with Pro art.

Philip Kapadia

PostMon May 23, 2022 8:52 pm

Hi Martin,

What exactly is your budget?

The video files codec which you will edit is really important. Long-GOP codecs like H.264 use significantly more processing power than Intraframe codecs like DNxHR for example.

If you're working professionally, I would seriously advise against doing any sort of colour work on a laptop screen. Going for a laptop is fine, but then also invest in an external monitor for proper colour work when home. Look into buying an I/O box like a blackmagic ultra studio monitor 3g to give you a "clean and correct" SDI output, and a good monitor with luma, phase, and chroma adjustment. Make sure the monitor can do 'blue gun' - that's an important feature to calibrate to SMPTE bars.

Likewise, your working environment is just as important as the screen... All it takes is for a lightbulb to be too warm by a few kelvins and your grade will compensate for that. You look at your work on another system and notice that it looks completely different!

I was going a bit off-topic, Just highlighting the importance of colour work on a good monitor and a good environment.

Any system with at least 32GB of ram, 6 CPU cores, and an 'okay' GPU will work for most people.
Editing Movie Magic.
Freelance Film Editor // Technical Expert
Avid Media Composer // DaVinci Resolve Studio 18
philipkapadia.com

Wolfgang S.

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 1:58 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Next week I'll have an Asus ProArt laptop for extensive testing against my MacBook Pro. If you can wait, I'll report my findings to you.
Can you please prepare a clip in 6K for download? I've only got UHD in 10 bit 422 GOP codecs (but all kinds of BRAW footage).

I have purchased and tested the Proart Studiobook 16 oled h7600 with 6K BRAW 50p footage now for 2 month, and it works great in Resolve. Using Samsung T5/T7 as SSDs for the footage.

Connecting a ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG by using Ultrastudio 4K Mini is a great grading solution.

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 1:07 am

Good to know.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Post Production