Audio Distortion on New Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini...

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Stephen Bolech

Audio Distortion on New Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini...

PostThu May 12, 2022 3:39 pm

but not on old Hyperdeck Studio Mini.

What we're doing is digitizing analog media and capturing on the new Hyperdeck Studio HD mini. We go from analog deck into a Leitch DPS 575, which does the digital conversion, then SDI into the Hyperdeck. Anything we record this way has distorted audio. This is not just a single faulty Hyperdeck, we have three and they all have the same issue. I have access to some of the older model Hyperdeck Studio Mini, so we tried recording via the same chain to one of those and the audio is clean. We also have an older Hyperdeck Studio Pro, and it records clean audio.

Here's a link to samples:
https://baylor.box.com/s/hqfugkdgs5j83bseaw4iocexsegui0i0

Any ideas what could be causing this on the new model?

Thanks!
Stephen Bolech

BCernetisch

Re: Audio Distortion on New Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini...

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 6:16 pm

We are getting the same issue here. Going from a PreSonus sound board to a Data video SDI audio embedder. The Old Hype decks worked perfectly but the new ones have some distortion. Were you able to find out the cause and or a workaround?

Stephen Bolech

PostWed Mar 08, 2023 1:31 pm

No, we never found a solution. Our “workaround” was to trade them with another facility that had the older ones and who was using them differently. I wonder if the same problem happens if you use one of Blackmagic’s own analog audio to SDI embedders. Might be worth trying that out.

Reed Bovee

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 4:10 am

I have the same problem with three brand-new Hyper Deck Studio HD minis. After several interactions with tech support, the problem persists. Tech support acted as though they have never heard of the issue and instead of providing a solution, the y asked me for the serial number of the units, I sent them a link to a brief recording of the audio issue, but they act as though they have no idea what is happening. I have three older versions of the hyper decks that work perfectly. Here is the YouTube link to the noisy video.

Return to Post Production