Intesity Pro 4K Lag in Resolve Studio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tony Leps

Intesity Pro 4K Lag in Resolve Studio

PostFri May 13, 2022 12:00 am

I just added an Intensity Pro 4K as a monitor device in Resolve Studio 18b2 and there a ~1ms lag on the video from the system. My timeline is 4K but outputting to a 1080p Sony TV via HDMI. I've adjusted the project/timeline outputs to 1080p.

I've tried the following to correct the issue:
•Adjust monitoring delay
•Change Audio I/O Engine
•Ensured fps output from Desktop video matches (23.976)
•Ensures Resolve and Desktop Video are latest version

System is Windows 10, AMD Threadripper 3960X, 128GB ram, nVidia 2080 Super, all drivers up to date.

What can I do to correct the issue? Thank you for your help.

Tony Leps

Re: Intesity Pro 4K Lag in Resolve Studio

PostThu May 19, 2022 9:14 am

Response from Blackmagic Support:

"Depending on what you're doing some very minimal latency can be expected, as your computer would need to do some processing before hitting the Intensity Pro 4K. However, most of that would greatly depend on your system and what you're doing in DaVinci Resolve. Unfortunately, there is not necessarily a setting to just fix this."

Since I work with a lot of moving video and critical audio timing, any latency makes it difficult to work with. I'll have to find a different solution. Hope this helps someone else who might be considering this as a monitoring solution.

Uli Plank

PostSun May 22, 2022 5:26 am

One millisecond? Come on. A frame at 30 fps has 33.3 ms.
Do you really say you can see that? Sound is traveling 30 cm in that time. How close is your camera to the subject generating the sound?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Tony Leps

PostSun May 22, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply, Uli. A bad estimate/definition on my part. It would be more accurate to say ~1-3 @ 24fps of difference. So let's say 41.7ms to 125.125ms delay. Or what I would define as "significantly noticeable".

In particular, the discrepancy was between my monitors. I had one Video Clean Feed via GPU and wanted a matching image through the Intensity Pro. When I hit play, there was a 1-3 frame delay on the TV which continued throughout playback. It was jarring.

As it turns out, the problem actual in the TV refresh rate. After I connected the TV directly to my graphics card HDMI, I noticed the same lag. The output was set to 23.96Hz (I assumed the exact refresh/frame rate would be optimal). Changing the refresh rate to 60Hz, the lag was gone.

I'll be giving the card another shot and see if setting the refresh rate helps.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 23, 2022 1:55 pm

There is at least 2 frames delay through any video I/O and then the Monitor can add a frame too.

There are settings in Resolve to handle a/v sync due to these natural latencies but I’m expecting the viewer UI won’t be frame matched to an external monitor
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostMon May 23, 2022 6:04 pm

Some monitors or TVs need quite a bit of time to process a frame.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve