Cintel stabilization issue

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Bumblebee75

Cintel stabilization issue

PostTue May 17, 2022 8:50 am

Hello everyone,

I work with a Cintel Scanner since a few months, most of the time everything's ok,
but we encounter a recurring problem with some films, mostly 16mm.

Something it seems that the perforation area isn't recognized by the software, and that it's unable to stabilize it. The file is always vertically shaking, and unusable.

By looking on the internet I can see that we're not the only one, I guess there's a problem with the algorythm that is looking for the perforations on each frame to stabilize the frame, but I can't really figure out what's wrong exactly with the films; sometimes they are films with a very clear perforations zone, but sometimes not at all...

I don't really get help from after-sales service, so I come here. I imagine that if the problem comes from the design of the scanner and its method of stabilizing, there is not much I can do, but that penalizes me enormously in my work.

Do you have an idea of ​​a solution to stabilize these films, in another way perhaps? Once, on a 16mm film, it worked to flip the picture before scanning it ; but it only worked on one movie...

Thank you everyone,

Gavin Lucas

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cintel stabilization issue

PostTue May 24, 2022 1:19 pm

Hi Till,

16mm stabilisation can be a challenge, and subject to film integrity may require manual setting of the stability region or disabling of an axis and stabilising in Resolve stabiliser post scanning.

If you haven't already; Can you contact our support team, and supply them a short CRI clip (5-10 seconds) with an example/s of your issue please.

Return to Post Production