Cloudpod accessing a NAS over the network?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

CaptainJack

Cloudpod accessing a NAS over the network?

PostTue May 17, 2022 9:31 pm

Can we access the 8-bay Synology DS1821+ NAS with the Cloudpod?

Our media lab is located in a building that has a network switch that connects our 16TB NAS to the internet which we can access with a browser remotely. Could the Cloudpod connect to the network and allow us to use our NAS for collaboration remotely using the ethernet port? The video only shows little SSD drives connected to the USB port so I'm not sure.

Bob Zelin

Re: Cloudpod accessing a NAS over the network?

PostSat May 28, 2022 3:29 pm

The Cloud Pod can be thought of as a "poor mans" equivalent to the Synology DS1821+ or any NAS product from QNAP or Synology. You connect it to a network switch, and once a drive is plugged into the CloudPod, everyone on the network can access the drive that is connected to the Cloud Pod. Currently, the only way to sync data on the Cloud Store products is with Dropbox, so if you were to say "can we sync the data on the Synology DS1821+ to the drive that is attached to the Cloud Pod" - the only way to do this is to manually drag the data from the Synology to the Cloud Pod on the local network (once they are both mounted on your computer) - OR to sync both the Synology and the Cloud Pod to the same Dropbox account.

Please remember that currently, you cannot create shared folders, create users, or assign permissions on the Cloud Store product line - like you can on the Synology. It will just instantly mount on your network. I am sure that updating this capability on the Cloud Store products is a top priority for Blackmagic, so that users can create shared folders, users, and assign permissions (as well as have some sort of login security).

Currently, the concept from Blackmagic is to purchase a larger Cloud Store product (the Cloud Store or the Cloud Store Mini), and sync to Dropbox. Then a remote user at home could buy a Cloud Pod, plug in his little drive, it will sync to Dropbox over the internet, and both system will have the same media. If you join Blackmagic Cloud, and are using Resolve 18, you will be able to share the project database of your Resolve project as well, so the media that now appears on your Cloud Pod (the little drive you plugged into the Cloud Pod) will be able to play back the Resolve project. (and you can now edit this).

bob

Bob
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Jack Fairley

PostMon May 30, 2022 3:04 am

Bob Zelin wrote:Please remember that currently, you cannot create shared folders, create users, or assign permissions on the Cloud Store product line - like you can on the Synology. It will just instantly mount on your network. I am sure that updating this capability on the Cloud Store products is a top priority for Blackmagic, so that users can create shared folders, users, and assign permissions (as well as have some sort of login security).

I hope so. For my purposes the product line may as well not even exist.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 10:41 am

Hello,

just a question/thought...
I already own a QNAP NAS.

So far I did not understand what Cloudpod or Cloudstore can do for me that I can't do now, but maybe I am missing a point.

Let's say I can sync my QNAP NAS to another one over the Internet already.
Then I use Blackmagic Cloud to sync the project. Is there any difference how the media storage would appear or be handled by Davinci Resolve?

(Projects I could host on the QNAP NAS too which I did in the past, but it is more complicated)

I mean, I totally understand that Blackmagic is providing a solution for non-IT techs (which I am..).
But I definitely don't want to invest into anything that I already can provide.

Maybe someone can shed a light on this...
Merry Christmas!
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Laptop: DR 18.5 / i7 Quad 16GB / GTX 860m
Macbook Air M1

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 4:09 am

IMHO it's nothing else but "NAS made Easy".
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 11:04 am

Danke Uli!
Dachte ich mir schon...
Ich werd mal was aufsetzen mit QNAP und Blackmagic Cloud und sehen ob das geht...

Translation:
Thank you Uli!
I thought so...
I'll set something up with QNAP and Blackmagic Cloud and see if that works...
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Laptop: DR 18.5 / i7 Quad 16GB / GTX 860m
Macbook Air M1

Curtis Artsoap

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 7:41 pm

Hi guys,

we run a Synology NAS DS1621+ we also run a BMD Cloud Store 20TB for editing in the office.

Now we have fond a solution to sync the Cloud Store with our NAS.

We connect the Cloud Store via SMB in a Skript that in the Taskplaner.
After that we run actually a rsync script. Biggest issue was the file permissions, the script dropped on the first runs. Now it's fixt.
The only issue we have now, I like to have a since process like Dropbox - recognizes newer files, deleted files and restructures in the directorys and in the best case renaming.

If you guys are interested I will share the process.

Greetings

Ron Eggleton

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 11:36 pm

Curtis Artsoap wrote:Hi guys,

we run a Synology NAS DS1621+ we also run a BMD Cloud Store 20TB for editing in the office.

Now we have fond a solution to sync the Cloud Store with our NAS.

After that we run actually a rsync script. Biggest issue was the file permissions, the script dropped on the first runs. Now it's fixt.
The only issue we have now, I like to have a since process like Dropbox - recognizes newer files, deleted files and restructures in the directorys and in the best case renaming.

Greetings

Definitely interested in how you are doing this.

I am in the process of ordering a Cloud Store 20TB because it seems like an ideal product for me. If anyone is able to respond to this with real world experience with a Cloud Store 20TB, I'd be happy to hear about it.
Cloud Store 20TB
ATEM Mini Pro
BMPCC
ATEM Camera Converters
ATEM Studio Converter v1

Immersive Sound Tech

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 6:37 am

Curtis Artsoap wrote:Now we have fond a solution to sync the Cloud Store with our NAS.

Hi Kurt

I would love to know how to sync my Cloud Store Mini with my Synology server to be able to automatically backup the data on my server, and to be able to access the data without maxing out my Dropbox account.

I would love to know how you manage to sync them up, please.

I just got the Wirebear Studio Server running and it will make it easier for me to switch between editing DaVinci Resolve projects on my studio computer and my laptop.

Thanks in advance
Frederick

Immersive Sound Tech

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 12:52 pm

CaptainJack wrote:Can we access the 8-bay Synology DS1821+ NAS with the Cloudpod?

Our media lab is located in a building that has a network switch that connects our 16TB NAS to the internet which we can access with a browser remotely. Could the Cloudpod connect to the network and allow us to use our NAS for collaboration remotely using the ethernet port? The video only shows little SSD drives connected to the USB port so I'm not sure.

I have a Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini 8TB and just like you, I wanted to connect it to my NAS and be able to have the NAS backup my video files and make them available online - without maxing out a Dropbox account.

Here's what I did:

Set a fixed IP-address for the Cloud Store unit in the Blackmagic settings app. It's also good to set that IP in your DNS-router, just in case it wants to assign another local IP-address for the Cloud Store.

Then open your Synology (I don't know how other NAS are configured but the general idea is the same) in your webbrowser.

Add a [Shared Folder] (if you want to be able to remotely access the video files). Let's name it "Cloud Store".

Open the [File Station] app (file explorer) and add a folder inside the Shared Folder and also name it "Cloud Store".

Then, in [File Station], select the folder you've just created inside the Shared Folder, and chose the menu option [Tools] -> [Mount Remote Folder] -> [CIFS Shared Folder].

And add the following information:

FOLDER: \\[your Cloud Storage local IP-address]\Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini
ACCOUNT NAME: guest
PASSWORD: guest
MOUNT TO: [browse to the Cloud Store folder you created inside the Shared Folder] and press [OK]
MOUNT AUTOMATICALLY ON START UP: [Check box]

If everything is configured properly, your Blackmagic Cloud Store storage will show up as a mounted network drive inside your NAS, thus giving you the opportunity to create a local backup everyday, where the networked video files are automatically copied to your NAS storage for backup. And you're also able to remotely connect to your NAS and download the proxy files of the video project that you are working on - let's say on your laptop.

My CIFS remote connect are configured as followed:

Mount Remote Folder
File protocol: CIFS
Folder: \\192.168.1.250\Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini
Account Name: guest
Password: guest
Mount to: [blackmagic_cloud_store] -> [Blackmagic Cloud Store]
Mount automatically on startup: Enabled

I hope this is helpful for you guys.

Let me know if it works out for you as well, alright.

All the best
Frederick
Immersive Sound Tech on YouTube

Return to Post Production