Render at Source Resolution - Does Color Change?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mxmrtin

Render at Source Resolution - Does Color Change?

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm working with a colorist who colors in an HD timeline, with source media that ranges from UHD to 8K.

We're roundtripping to a different NLE, so my plan is to render all the clips in his HD timeline as individual clips at source resolution, to bring back into the other NLE. However, will this affect his color in any noticeable manner, since he was coloring in HD? If power windows/tracking are done in the HD timeline, will all of that appropriately scale in the source resolution renders?

Lastly, for in-progress postings, he likes me to change the timeline resolution to UHD, then post a UHD export instead of just uploading an HD export. Same questions apply to that - any potential changes to color/tracking/etc? Input scaling is set to "scale entire image to fit" and all repos, etc are removed, so all the footage resizes automatically and appropriately when the timeline resolution is changed.

Thanks!

John Paines

Re: Render at Source Resolution - Does Color Change?

PostFri May 27, 2022 10:20 pm

You'll get more responses in the Resolve forum, but yes, power windows, tracking, etc. *should* scale accurately across different resolutions. You can test this easily enough yourself by changing the timeline resolution and observing the results. That process is non-destructive; you can go back and forth freely from one resolution to another.

There could be subtle differences with some Color fx -- for example, film grain -- when rendering them out a higher resolution than was used for previewing, but it won't be obvious.

Return to DaVinci Resolve