Using a DAS with the cloud pod

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Parmachin

Using a DAS with the cloud pod

PostFri Jun 03, 2022 2:31 pm

We got a cloud pod to test out its capabilities for our studio and we've been running into issues while trying to connect larger DAS towers to it.

Single drives work fine, same as our CyberNetor DAS (16TB actual capcity in RAID 5) however connecting our larger Areca ARC-8050T3-12 or ARC-8050T3-6 doesn't seem to work. The tower seems to detect it is plugged into something as the fan ramps up for a second but never actually boots up.

Looking at the documentation quickly I didn't see any mention of max capacity for connected drives or other reason the cloud pod shouldn't be able to connect to the towers. Am I missing something ?

Our drives are all formatted in HFS+, our Areca towers are 40TB and 144TB in size.

Thanks for your help !

Bob Zelin

Re: Using a DAS with the cloud pod

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 pm

I am unhappy that you have received no replies, and I keep looking - but I can tell you that you cannot plug a consumer RAID from Promise, G-Tech, SanDisk Pro, Areca, OWC, etc. into a QNAP or Synology, so I am not surprised. As the expression goes - "it is what it is".

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

tapethis

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 1:47 am

I can confirm cloudpod does not work with speed shuttle 3 with SSDs. I reformated to exfat and still nothing. Cannot find any documentation on why this does not work, nor how to get it working. This thing is useless.

Bob Zelin

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:05 pm

In defense of Blackmagic Design - no NAS will allow you to plug in "someone else's" RAID into their box. This applies to Blackmagic Design, QNAP and Synology. They will read HFS+ and exFAT (QNAP and Synology will read NTFS as well) - but no one reads APFS formatted drives, and NO ONE reads a RAID array from G-Tech, OWC, Promise, Areca, Cal Digit, etc.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

tapethis

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 7:23 pm

Not asking to read someone else's RAID. We are not taking the drives out and connecting them to a new RAID card /enclosure trying to be read. This is equivalent to plugging the whole array, enclosure, and hardware raid into a device/computer. So yes... this absolutely should be compatible.

mlgh50678

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Hi all,

Having the same issues here with a 60TB Lacie "6big". The Cloudpod won't see the device, regardless of Raid Mode / File system. Lacie "2big" arrays seem to work fine, although performance is considerably worse compared to simply sharing the volume via SMB on a Win or MacOS machine.

Does anybody have news on this topic?

Maurice

Merola

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 12:34 pm

Bob Zelin wrote:In defense of Blackmagic Design - no NAS will allow you to plug in "someone else's" RAID into their box. This applies to Blackmagic Design, QNAP and Synology. They will read HFS+ and exFAT (QNAP and Synology will read NTFS as well) - but no one reads APFS formatted drives, and NO ONE reads a RAID array from G-Tech, OWC, Promise, Areca, Cal Digit, etc.
Bob Zelin

That is not correct, we used two 60TB Lacie "6big" connected to our Qnap (TS-1263U-RP), and shared it over SMB.

We have the same problem unable to use our 6big with the cloud pod.
Tried Hfs+ and exFat

BobLafleur

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 11:49 am

I am interested in this thread and others' experiences. I just got a Cloud Pod and my plan us to use Orico 5-bay RAID enclosures with it. These enclosures take 5 hard drives and allow you to set them up as RAID, and you connect it via USB to your "host". I just looks like one big USB drive in this mode. I have two and I've been able to connect them to Windows, Mac, Linux, and Synology with no issue so I assumed I could connect them to the Cloud Pod.

Currently they are formatted as NTFS and full - one one has 5x14TB drives, giving a total of 52TB of space (14TB "lost" on each one for parity). So when you plug it into a computer it just looks like one 52TB volume. To use these with a Cloud Pod, it will be a bit of work for me - I need to use another Orico enclosure, and another set of drives, which I will format as exFAT, then copy all of the contents of one of my NTFS formatted volumes to it - then I can plug that newly copied drive into the Cloud Pod. After that, I can take the recently "cleared" drive, format it as exFAT, and copy the 2nd NTFS volume to that one. Then I'll have two exFAT formatted Orico boxes and a 3rd one as a "spare" which I can then clear and begin to fill.

But it sounds like some people are having trouble with larger devices. I'm not familiar with the other devices being discussed in this thread, and there are many parameters - like are they formatted correctly with just ONE exFAT for HFS+ partition? There are a lot of variables in play.

However, I would like to try to figure out if my scenario is going to work before I go out and spend the money on the 3rd set of drives. If this isn't going to work, I'd like to know before my return window expires, as $400 is a bit of money to spend on a device that won't work for me.

Thoughts?

Ben Hilton

PostWed Mar 08, 2023 7:25 pm

I'm also having trouble with larger drives connecting the cloudpod - I have tried G-tech 20tb Gspeed (internally raided) drives and although they can be shared across the network and read/written via ethernet, cause some sort of issue where they are not recognised by the cloud sync and so will not sync to my dropbox folder.
I scaled down the sizes from Lacie d2 16TB then Lacie d2 6TB (all of these HFS+) and these share the same issue... they switch off any 'internet' sync happening on the cloud pod and only function locally on the network.
bus powered drives work seamlessly on the same cloud pods.

incidentally I was working on Lacie d2 6TB (externally powered) drives absolutely fine for weeks but since attempting to use larger storage, now no externally powered drive will work.

mpetech

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 1:01 am

Some RAIDs require drivers so I doubt those will work. But some don’t and hopefully BM can fix that.

Return to Post Production