Ultrastudio monitor 3g not working in windows

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Cucho Olivares

Ultrastudio monitor 3g not working in windows

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 10:04 pm

Hello everybody, this is my first post.
And it’s going to be a long one.

I’m not a tech savvy person as I’m a commercials director and editor, working since the old days of film… all my life in mac platform, beginning with Avid many years ago, after that Adobe. Now Resolve! :D

I hope this is the right place to ask this.
I’ve been using Resolve for some time and I love it. Just the free version for now as I’m trying to buy a full license, as soon as I can resolve (no pun intended) the purchase process here in Chile.

Now the main question:
In order to get a more accurate picture I know the best way is to send the clear feed from Resolve to a calibrated second monitor bypassing OS color management.

So, I purchased a Blackmagic Ultrastudio Monitor 3G Thunderbolt from a reseller here in Chile.

It works perfectly in my (now kind of outdated) MacBook Pro (2017, 16gb / 512 SSD) it connected easily -as Macs usually do- with the last DesktopVideo version (13,3), sadly the MacBook has not enough power to handle 4K streams that most of my projects are now (I know about proxies and I use it all the time, but I’m talking about finishing / mastering process here.
Sadly, newer Macs are out of question as I need to use RTX cards for my 3D work, so I bought a Windows 10 PC -Gigabyte Z590 VisionD motherboard / i9 11th gen CPU / 64gb Ram and a couple of M2’s and a single RTX3800Ti) -ordered to a very capable builder-. All apps and hardware works flawlessly, except for the Ultrastudio…

Sadly, OS or Desktop Video App doesn’t detect the BMD Ultrastudio Monitor 3G. (The Motherboard does have two thunderbolt ports).
I have tried many different configurations (Bios, installing older DesktopVideo versions etc) but I haven’t been able to make it work.
Talked with Gigabyte’s tech support and they weren’t helpful at all.

It doesn’t shows in Windows device manager, in Thunderbolt app (intel), not in Desktop Video app neither.

Any suggestions?

(Sadly, after two weeks of trying to make it work I realized the PCI card by BMD was a better option to use, but I would like to have the chance to use it).

Do I have any chance to use it or it’s better to sell it and get a PCI form card?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Uli Plank

Re: Ultrastudio monitor 3g not working in windows

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:55 am

The first thing I’d try is another cable. Make sure it’s Thunderbolt, not just any cheap USB-C.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mike Ambrose

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 1:02 pm

Do any other thunderbolt devices work on this pc? The first thing that came to mind before I saw you mentioned that you already looked was that the device wasn't approved in the thunderbolt app. Thunderbolt is a very complex stack and there's a lot of little things that can go wrong.

A few things to check:
    BIOS (I know it's very generic to just say this there are so many thunderbolt related options that could be looked at. In particular, look at the device approval/security mode to make sure you can do it from the operating system)

Thunderbolt controller firmware upgrades (this would be in the download section of your motherboard support page on the manufacturer's website)

How many other pcie cards do you have installed? Your motherboard shares pcie lanes between the thunderbolt port and some of the slots on the board.

Ensure you have all the proper power connectors plugged on the motherboard. Newer boards and processors are very power hungry and there are so many additional power connectors these days it's easy to miss one.

Cucho Olivares

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 7:35 pm

SOLVED!
Replaced motherboard. Now BDM Ultrastudio monitor works perfectly.
Just on of those things…
Thanks for the help. I

asafblasberg

PostSun May 14, 2023 11:30 pm

Which motherboard works?

Return to Post Production