Decklink 4k Extreme simultaneous dual resolution output

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Adam Prest

Decklink 4k Extreme simultaneous dual resolution output

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 4:36 am

I'm trying to output 1 UHD SDI feed and 1 HD feed at the same time, I have a Decklink 4k extreme,

in the manual it says "Ultra HD Down Conversion Built in, high quality hardware down converter outputs Ultra HD to HD with down converted signal on SDI outputs C & D and HDMI output when connected to an HD only TV"

But on the card and in the manual I can only see SDI in A and B and SDI out A and B. Where are the SDI out C and D? I can't seem to find a setting in desktop video software to switch the inputs to extra outputs either?

Any help here would be appreciated :?

Jack Fairley

Re: Decklink 4k Extreme simultaneous dual resolution output

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 pm

SDI C & D would refer to the option to replace the mezzanine card with optical ports with a quad link SDI mezzanine card, I believe. Have you tried connecting SDI A and B to see if you get a downconvert? I feel like I made this work in the past without replacing anything, but I may have been using HDMI.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Adam Prest

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 11:07 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:SDI C & D would refer to the option to replace the mezzanine card with optical ports with a quad link SDI mezzanine card, I believe. Have you tried connecting SDI A and B to see if you get a downconvert? I feel like I made this work in the past without replacing anything, but I may have been using HDMI.

Hey Jack, thanks for your insight, I have tested all the SDI ports and none are doing a downconvert at the moment

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 7:53 pm

I have the exact same question as the OP here. Does anyone know the answer?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

mpetech

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 8:57 pm

Adam Prest wrote:I'm trying to output 1 UHD SDI feed and 1 HD feed at the same time, I have a Decklink 4k extreme,

in the manual it says "Ultra HD Down Conversion Built in, high quality hardware down converter outputs Ultra HD to HD with down converted signal on SDI outputs C & D and HDMI output when connected to an HD only TV"

But on the card and in the manual I can only see SDI in A and B and SDI out A and B. Where are the SDI out C and D? I can't seem to find a setting in desktop video software to switch the inputs to extra outputs either?

Any help here would be appreciated :?

Are you in Single SDI mode instead of dual or quad SDI?

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 9:51 pm

I don't think simultaneous UHD and HD output is possible, with any BMD device. Although this unit has hardware downscaling, it does not specifically state, from your quote that these two signals are possible, at the same time. My Ultrastudio 4K Mini will downscale to HD from UHD quite happily, even though it has no specified hardware downscaler, to my HD reference monitor but it then delivers only HD to my 4K client monitor. The only way round this I have been able to achieve is via a Video Assist 12G HDR, which I use as a waveform monitor. So, SDI in>VA>HDMI out to Client monitor in UHD. HDMI from US 4K>HDMI in, reference monitor downscaling to HD, from a UHD timeline. I may be wrong but this does most certainly work for me, on that unit.

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 11:54 am

I contacted BMD support about this question and according to the tech who wrote me back, the Quad SDI mezzanine card option (that is swapped for the HDMI + Fiber mezzanine card that comes with the Decklink 4K Extreme) is what provides the C & D SDI outputs. The tech confirmed that with that SDI mezzanine card it is possible to output UHD and HD simultaneously from the Decklink 4k Extreme. This matches with what Jack Fairly wrote earlier in the thread.

The SDI mezzanine card appears at the bottom of the main Decklink page:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink

I ordered one from B&H and I'll report back on whether I've been able to get it to work once it arrives.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

tristansummers

PostFri Aug 18, 2023 4:33 pm

BMD documentation!
Did you figure it out?
And it is ridiculous that support did not help you
the connection diagram clearly shows which is the downres port and you can downconvert UHD to HD on port B, but it will not take embedded audio when downconverting UHD to HD.
You set it in the conversions tab of Desktop Video.
You do not need the quad SDI card unless you need a quad HD connection. (4 x 3G HD)
I am not sure if you can run 12G Single Link from the main card and quad-link from the other card, but I assume so. I do not know if one of those ports camn run a second 12G signal, but I assume they are all 3G only
You don't get 4 x 12G connections.

Return to Post Production