Desktop Video M1 Chip Macbook Air "No Device Detected"

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jconduit

Desktop Video M1 Chip Macbook Air "No Device Detected"

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 10:40 am

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a 2020 Macbook Air with M1 Chip running OS Monterrey 12.4

I have installed Desktop Video 12.3.1 in the hope of running my UltraStudio Express (Something I have done with previous Macbooks and previous versions of Desktop Video without issue)

I have gone so far as to alter the security settings in recovery mode to allow user management of kernel extensions.

My 'system report' identifies the UltraStudio in the Thuderbolt/USB4 port and provides the below detail...

---------------------------
UltraStudio Express:

Vendor Name: Blackmagic Design
Device Name: UltraStudio Express
Mode: Thunderbolt
Device ID: 0xA127
Vendor ID: 0x4
Device Revision: 0x1
UID: 0x000400000084DC90
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 7.1
Port (Upstream):
Link Status: 0x2
Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x1
Port Micro Firmware Version: 0.2.5
Cable Firmware Version: 1.0.16
Cable Serial Number: C4M6381023RF797AV
-------------------------

I have noticed that in "/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions" I only have "BlackmagicIO.kext" where as on my 2016 Macbook Pro I have not only that file (or similarly named) but also "Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext" and "BlackmagicUsbIO.kext"

The outcome of all of the above is that I cannot get Desktop Video to detect the Ultrastudio Express when launched. It displays the following message...

"No Desktop Video Device Detected. Please check that your product is connected via Thunderbolt, USB3, or PCIe and is powered on."

I should say that I have very limited knowledge of OS Monterrey and most of the above points of interest I've gleaned from forums, so excuse me if I'm mentioning redundant or irrelevant points.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

jconduit

Re: Desktop Video M1 Chip Macbook Air "No Device Detected"

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 10:57 pm

Nevermind. Hopefully Blackmagic can confirm, but the following list appears to tell the story.

M1 and Intel Macs:
- DeckLink Duo 2
- DeckLink Quad 2
- DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder
- DeckLink 8K Pro
- DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
- DeckLink Micro Recorder
- DeckLink SDI Micro
- DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
- DeckLink Mini Recorder
- DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K
- DeckLink SDI 4K
- DeckLink Studio 4K
- UltraStudio Recorder 3G
- UltraStudio Monitor 3G
- UltraStudio HD Mini
- UltraStudio 4K Mini
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3
- Intensity Pro 4K
- DeckLink 4K Pro
- DeckLink 4K Extreme
- UltraStudio 4K
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme

Intel Macs only:
- DeckLink Mini Monitor
- DeckLink HD Extreme 3
- DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
- DeckLink SDI
- DeckLink Duo
- DeckLink Quad
- DeckLink Studio
- UltraStudio Express
- UltraStudio Mini Monitor
- UltraStudio Mini Recorder
- Intensity Pro
- Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

I have tested an UltraStudio HD Mini and it worked fine, so no problems with software or security permissions.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 6:44 am

Some older I/O devices by BM or not compatible with M1.
IIRC there’s a list at their site somewhere. Ok
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Brad Hurley

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 8:53 pm

The Macbook Air M1 and M2 are limited to one external monitor only, but does it view an Ultrastudio connected to a reference monitor as a "monitor," or something else? In other words, would I be able to run both a regular 4k monitor and a reference monitor for grading from the Macbook Air, if the reference monitor is connected to the computer via an Ultrastudio Monitor 3G or an HD Mini?

I assume the answer is "no" but would be pleasantly surprised if it were "yes."
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Username

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 1:42 am

Yes.
The ultra studio will enable a grading monitor being used in apps like resolve and others which support the US3G et al. You will not be able to use that monitor as an ordinary monitor in macOS though.

It’s basically a dedicated data stream fed into the ultra studio and displayed on the grading monitor.

That said you would need power to feed the MBA, a usb-c to display cable and the ultra studio over TB3.
But you only have two TB3 ports.
So you would probably need a powered TB hub like the OWC 4-port TB hub. But I’ve never used them with a MBA. But the arrangement works smoothly on a M1 Mac mini and MBP M1.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Brad Hurley

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 11:33 am

Username wrote:Yes.
The ultra studio will enable a grading monitor being used in apps like resolve and others which support the US3G et al. You will not be able to use that monitor as an ordinary monitor in macOS though.

It’s basically a dedicated data stream fed into the ultra studio and displayed on the grading monitor.

That said you would need power to feed the MBA, a usb-c to display cable and the ultra studio over TB3.
So you would probably need a powered TB hub like the OWC 4-port TB hub. But I’ve never used them with a MBA. But the arrangement works smoothly on a M1 Mac mini and MBP M1.

Fantastic news, thanks! I have the Caldigit TS4 hub (amazing but expensive), so this will work well.

I work only with 1080p footage, mostly ProRes HQ but sometimes CDNG raw 3:1 and the Air should handle it just fine in Resolve though I haven't stress-tested it yet. It might throttle during rendering but that's okay with me, I am working only on personal projects with no deadlines. I have the M2 Air with 24 gigs of RAM, 8 core CPU and 10 core GPU. It's kind of amazing that this little computer can replace my 2013 Mac Pro trashcan with 32 gigs of RAM and dual GPUs, but it looks more than capable. I also do on-location music recording and having a silent laptop is key for that purpose, otherwise I would have gotten an M1 or M2 Mini or Studio.
Last edited by Brad Hurley on Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 1:41 pm

I just ran a test from my MacBook Pro M1.
USB-C to DP in on Eizo @ 2560 x 1440.
TB-3 to US Monitor to HDMI 1080p24 in on Eizo for grading in rec 709

Worked good in both Resolve and FCPX.
I did not feed the MBP with power via the OWC TB Hub but I know that the TB Hub works perfect with both power to MBP as well as with the 3G US Monitor/Recorder.

:)

Brad Hurley wrote:
Username wrote:Yes.

Fantastic news, thanks! I have the Caldigit TS4 hub (amazing but expensive), so this will work well.

I work only with 1080p footage, mostly ProRes HQ but sometimes CDNG raw 3:1 and the Air should handle it just fine in Resolve though I haven't stress-tested it yet. It might throttle during rendering but that's okay with me, I am working only on personal projects with no deadlines. I have the M2 Air with 24 gigs of RAM, 8 core CPU and 10 core GPU.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Brad Hurley

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 1:50 pm

Username wrote:I just ran a test from my MacBook Pro M1.

Thanks! I have to upgrade my Ultrastudio (I have the first-generation mini monitor) but didn't want to spend the money until I was sure it was going to work with my new setup. Thanks for confirming.

Return to Post Production