Teranex Mini IP Video 12G - switch set up

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

chlowden

Teranex Mini IP Video 12G - switch set up

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 6:35 am

Hello
I am trying to connect 2 pairs of Teranex Mini IP Video 12G over a simple network using 2 Cisco C9300 48P switches.
The manual is rather vague as to specific switch setups needs.

"About Network Switches
When connecting to a network switch, we recommend using a managed switch with PTP
precision time protocol and E2E end to end enabled. This type of network switch lets you
change the configuration to suit your network requirements, for example prioritizing traffic for
smoother data flow and improved reliability.
If you are connecting to a network switch with VLAN functionality, ensure VLAN is disabled.
Non managed network switches can still be used. However, without the IGMP management
systems enabled, a destination unit may be getting traffic from several sources, thus exceeding
its port’s bandwidth.
NOTE The number of IP video streams you can have routed on your network depends
on the bandwidth of your network switch. Refer to the your network switch’s
manufacturer specifications for more information."

My issue is that when the boxes are connected to the network, they seem to flood the network, bringing it to its knees but they do not see each other.

The manual mentions to turn off VLANs ,but most pro switches have at least one VLAN just to work. Is this an issue? (I would have a tendency to have a VLAN dedicated to these boxes so that it limits the choices of connection.)
What version of IGMP is being used?
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/s ... _0110.html

For a sophisticated switch like the Cisco, are the default ptp settings sufficient or is there a more optimised setup?
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/s ... _ptp_.html

Any help would be most welcome

chlowden

Re: Teranex Mini IP Video 12G - switch set up

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 5:45 am

PTP protocol is seemingly supported only by a few high end Cisco switches and it is an extra licence cost.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/ ... te-en.html

chlowden

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 4:10 pm

Hello,
I thought I would update what I have discovered.
I have eventually got 2 pairs of Teranex Mini IP Video 12G working, only after having created 2 separate VLANs for each pair.

Having 2 pairs of Teranex Mini IP Video 12G on the same 1Gbs trunk fibre line was saturated at 1920x1080.
Having 2 pairs of Teranex Mini IP Video 12G on separate VLANs connected between 2 switches on the same 1Gbs trunk fibre line was saturated at 1920x1080.
Having 2 pairs of Teranex Mini IP Video 12G on separate VLANs connected between 2 switches on the same 10Gbs trunk fibre line WORKED at 1920x1080.

The documentation does not explain anything about network bandwidth / screen size needs.
I am under the impression that if there is no SDI entrance, the Teranex Mini IP Video 12G assumes it is 4K and saturates the network. Again, as the documentation is unclear, I cannot confirm this is a fact.
What I have confirmed in testing is that the Teranex Mini IP Video 12G does saturate the network if not controlled.

Which begs the question:
What sort of network setup can work where many of the Teranex Mini IP Video 12G are deployed?
Thank you

chlowden

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 6:33 am

A response I had from BM dev ..

Having communicated with the Development team, they have pointed me in the direction of the IGMP Snooping Querier function, and confirming that it is switched on and operating.
According to what I have been told, without this function regulating the flow of data and where it goes, you could see the type of behaviour that you have described, with the network getting flooded.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 2:45 am

In terms of the bandwidth usage, I believe the Teranex Mini IP converters use 4:1 TICO compression on the video signals. TICO is a lightweight, low-latency compression codec that is visually lossless and intended as an alternative to uncompressed video. But the tradeoff is that the data rates are fairly high.

So for 12G SDI video signals (2160p50 or 2160p60), 4:1 compression would take the bandwidth down to about 3 Gbps (which requires a 10G rather than 1G network connection). For 3G SDI video signals (1080p50/60), 4:1 compression would lower the bandwidth to around 750 Mbps. For 1.5G HD-SDI video signals (up to 1080p30 or 1080i60), the bandwidth would be about 375 Mbps.

So depending on the video resolution and frame rate, the bandwidth requirements of multiple simultaneous IP video streams (over the same network link) are fairly high.

chlowden

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 6:09 am

Thank you so much for your summary.
I wish that BM would add what you wrote to the tech spec and the manual.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... TERAMIN-30

Thank you

Medienlabor

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 8:47 am

Hi everyone,
I stumbled across your thread since I have the same issue trying to get two Teranex Mini IP Video 12G setup on a university campus.
They created such a high data traffic and the IT-guys discovered that they use a "multi cast" way of distributing the data, meaning they flood all channels (like you described) instead of using a "single cast" to let them talk directly to each other and not to all switches in the network.
Is setting up a 10Gbs VLAN only for the two Teranex really the only solution to get this to work?
Is there no single cast option available?
Thanks and best regards!
Toni

chlowden

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 9:00 am

Dedicated P2P VLANs worked for me, at least for up to 2K. Above that, my Cisco switches started dropping packets.
As you might have noticed, the manual spends a lot of pages explaining how to integrate these boxes into a BM network and have dynamic patching. I don't know what kind of infrastructure they are testing on with but I doubt it is a hybrid IT network / Video network.
In the end, I have cabled these boxes via Fibre using Cisco 10gb Gbics and they more stable on higher bandwidth. Old way seems to be the better way.

Medienlabor

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 9:15 am

Thank you for the fast reply!
I'll give this info to the IT-guys and see what they can do. A fixed fibre connection might not be our way to go since we never know which part of the campus we'll be called to for the next shoot, but let's see.
Thanks for the support and have a nice day!
Toni

Return to Post Production