Multidock 10G

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

UnixMover

Multidock 10G

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 9:52 pm

I have purchased a MD10G to allow me to read the SSDs being generated by the UMP-12k SSD unit. I selected an SSD (PM983 model: MZ-QLB1T90) which was in the recommended SSDs in the manual. I found the SSD worked great to collect video even in 12K 5:1, never even droppinng a single frame.

The problem is my existing BlackJet SSD reader does not read the PM983 SSD as there is a pin header where the usual space between the data and power header on the SSD interface lives. I also can't plug the SSD into the MultiDock 10G as the same pin header prevents me from inserting the SSD into any of the slots.

If the MD10G cannot read disks recommended by Blackmagic for the SSD UM Recorder on the UMP-12K... what can?
Thomas Klinect

UnixMover

Re: Multidock 10G

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 12:30 am

Figuring I'd RTFM, I found an interesting "oops" on page 13 of the MD10G manual. In the paragraph "Getting Help", the last sentence states: "... latest support material available for your video assist." Of course, this is the manual for the MD10G ;)

Just thought I'd help debug the manual.
Thomas Klinect

UnixMover

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 12:40 am

The manual and the website all state, "You can use any 2.5” SSD" which is not true as I am finding . I purchased a
SAMSUNG MZ-QLB1T9NE 983 DCT SERIES
as called out in the UMP12K recommended SSDs section of the manual, and it does not work in the MD10G.

Is there something I am doing incorrectly?
Thomas Klinect

UnixMover

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 12:59 am

Interesting results using the MultiDock 10G (MD10G) and the Blackmagic Cloud Pod (BMCP). I attached the MD10G to the BMCP directly... which worked. The BMCP recognized the four disks in the MD10G and offered them up for storage. I then connected to the BMCP through the Windows explorer and found each disk had a network share exposed.

I pushed a file to each of the drives in the MD10G with outstanding performance throughout the upload to the BMCP. I then opened the file I placed on the first drive and "whoops" things got weird. The file started to playback and then the BMCP just disappeared from the Windows explorer. It denied every attempt to access the files with a "resource detached" message from Windows.

I removed power from the BMCP, and when it came up, the files were there and I could see them again. But every time I went to use the files, I ran into the same problem. After a few attempts, I powered on the BMCP, and it just stopped showing the drives. Even the configuration app and the interface to the BMCP showed no drives attached.

So, I hooked the MD10G to the Windows box and reformatted each of the drives. I removed the cable from the from the Windows box and reattached it to the BMCP; and, low and behold, the disks were there again. I gave up for the night but it looks like the BMCP and MD10G do not have all the kinks worked out yet.

More fun to come tomorrow.
Thomas Klinect

swtaylor

PostFri Oct 14, 2022 2:22 pm

Have you gotten this to work any better? I'd love to add a MultiDock to my Cloud Pod.

Does it work any better if you split it into 2x2 and had only two drives per usb cable to the Cloud Pod?

UnixMover

PostSun Oct 23, 2022 3:48 pm

swtaylor wrote:Have you gotten this to work any better? I'd love to add a MultiDock to my Cloud Pod.

Does it work any better if you split it into 2x2 and had only two drives per usb cable to the Cloud Pod?

I've kinda given up trying to make the 10G work the way I want. Now I work the way it wants, and it does a relatively good job. The Cloud POD is a good idea; however, I find myself using my BlackJet chassis more than the BlackMagic chassis. The reason for this is simple: I've switched from USB driven SSD's, to NVMe discs on my 12K. While the cost is a tad bit more per gigabyte, the speed difference is exponentially better on the NVMe drives.

So my Blackmagic 10G just sits there and I do very little editing off the Cloud Pod.
Thomas Klinect

Return to Post Production