QNAP NAS Question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

danielpanev

QNAP NAS Question

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 11:06 am

Hi all,

I am by no means a professional videographer, but still as a hobbyist I have the following question:
For my home network I'm looking to add a NAS for general purpose (backups and so on) and a place to store my raw video. Currently looking at https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-473a/specs/hardware
My question is (just an example): Is it possible to assign drive bays 1-2 to network port 1 and drive bays 3-4 to network port 2? The idea is to have all my raw video stored on drives 1-2 and my kids' data (you know - movies, music and so on) stored on drives 3-4... If it matters - I have 2 physically separated networks: for my kids and for myself, so I can easily connect "their" network to port 2 and "my" network to port 1 on the NAS.

Helge Tjelta

Re: QNAP NAS Question

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 1:04 pm

Normally not.

but since you have two physical ports...

Make 2 logical drives (storage pools) and those use only 1-2 and 3-4 drives...

Then tell the kids to only use one of them...
and you the other

mpetech

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 3:40 pm

Helge Tjelta wrote:Normally not.

but since you have two physical ports...

Make 2 logical drives (storage pools) and those use only 1-2 and 3-4 drives...

Then tell the kids to only use one of them...
and you the other

This.

Creating two storage pools and a respective shared folder in each achieves similar results - drive traffic is limited and sent to a specific network port.

Though 2 drive RAID may not perform that well for Resolve use.

Nick Lavigne

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 6:54 pm

I wouldn't bother with two storage pools, you will get the max speed (and parity) if you use all the drives for one pool http://www.raid-calculator.com. In that pool create as many volumes (drives) that you want, with the storage size that you want. Next create usernames and passwords and link them to those, you can access all, they can access only one or so.
*Also buy actually RAID hard drives. and don't buy Western Digital drives (yes even RED) unless you can verify that they are CMR and not SMR

Bob Zelin

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:06 am

Hello -
I am only responding, because you had the word "QNAP" in your post, and I basically do nothing but QNAP installations for professional video editors. I have to "assume" that you are using Davinci Resolve, and posting here, instead of a QNAP forum, or a Reddit forum, because you are using Davinci Resolve (and not iMovie - I hope I am correct).

The TS-473A is not a great product for video editing, and if you are doing full res video media, with professional codecs, this is not a product that you would want to use. But even if you are just doing HD, you only have 4 drive slots in this model, and the native ethernet ports are max 2.5G ethernet, so your speeds will never exceed 200 - 250 MB/sec. I have no idea of what you are trying to play back, but with professional products that are doing 4K, 6K, and 8 K from Blackmagic, you will get stuttering video.

What you do is create a single RAID array with ALL FOUR matching 7200 RPM SATA drives, so you can achieve speeds that will be able to play back your videos.

In the QNAP user interface (and you may ultimately choose to get a cheaper Synology) - you do the same process. You create SHARED FOLDERS, from this single RAID array that you created with all four SATA drives. And you create USERS - so when you say "your kids" - you create a SHARED folder for YOU (that is doing Davinci Resolve editing) - and you assign your USER NAME to that shared folder, and your kids do not get access to this folder. You create another shared folder for your kids (FUN FOLDER), and you give them each a name and a password, and you give them permission (shared folder permissions) to access ONLY their folder. They will NEVER be able to access your folder.

Now you have the full bandwidth of all 4 drives (still not enough bandwidth in my opinion for professional video editing with Davinci Resolve) for your video editing, and the kids can have their shared folder (they can no longer access your shared folder), and they can do whatever they want.

Remember - the native ports of this model are 2.5G ethernet, not 10G ethernet, so unless you get a 10G card and a 10G switch, you are not going to get 10G bandwidth. You will be limited to 2.5G, and that is based on the QNAP. If your PC does not have a 2.5G card, you are only going to get 100 MB/sec, not 250 MB/sec. As for your kids, make sure that they only have a native 1G connection, so they will never exceed 100 MB/sec.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Nick Lavigne

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 1:57 am

Bob reiterated a lot of what I said. I would add that with raid 5 (I wouldn't bother with 0 or 1) you will get a theoretical max read of 375MB/s as you will only get a 3x performance increase of a standard 7200rpm RAID HDD (IRONWOLF, Exos). Still this is more than 2.5GbE which is 312MB/s. 4 SSDs can theoretically hit 1,500MB/s in RAID5, which is more than 10GbE (1,250MB/s).
I would recommend 10GbE in general prices aren't insane like back when I did it. You can get started for a low cost by using the mikrotik CRS305 4 port switch/router. And 10GbE cards for your computer are actually not incredibly overpriced anymore.

Return to Post Production