cloud pod design flaw?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

cloud pod design flaw?

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:33 am

I'm not very technically talented, but i noticed that the cloud pod is advertised with a 10Gb connection. But it has usb-c gen 1 connections, which is basically 600Mb/ps, which theoretically only uses half of the 10Gb speed.

Am i correct? If so, why this decision to use usb-c gen1?

Uli Plank

Re: cloud pod design flaw?

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:39 am

That's correct. I can only speculate about the reasons, maybe price of components.

I'd be happy if you could RAID the storage on two devices, though. OTOH, the Pod is obviously aiming at folks who need to distribute incoming shots to a team, which works perfectly fine. You can even copy from two connected devices at the same time.

If you need fast storage, there's the Mini.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Bob Zelin

Re: cloud pod design flaw?

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:11 am

Hi -
the Mini is wonderful and fast. The Cloud Pod is not. It's designed for a remote editor to get proxy media off of dropbox from a remote location, and be able to edit.

If you think that you are getting a full 10G NAS system for $395 - you are dreaming. This is never going to happen (not while I am alive). The Cloud Store Mini is $2995, and you get 8 TB of super fast storage. For $395, you are not replacing a more expensive product from QNAP, Synology, or even Blackmagic. You don't get to spend $395 and have a full fledged 10G shared storage product for your company, by simply plugging in a Thunderbolt 3 drive.

If you feel that I am being rude, Blackmagic has made things cheaper than ever before in history. I fully understand that you still may not be able to afford this - but that is the state of our industry at this time.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Return to Post Production