Cloud Pod Mini Feature Requests

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

im.thatoneguy

Cloud Pod Mini Feature Requests

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 11:33 pm

The cloud pod mini is perfect for what it is: a place for producers to easily attach external drives. We often get all of the raw footage for a shoot which can be many TBs and we just need 1TB of that on our 100gbe flash NAS. But multiple artists might be looking for the raw footage to pull to our working NAS.

Ok that being said there is room for improvement.

1) A web interface please for the love of god. Installing 1.5GB on any machine that needs to manage it is crazy. There's already a webserver running. There's not only a webserver already running... it's how you already configure it through a 1.5GB application. e.g.
Code: Select all
curl -X PUT http://cloudpod/admin/api/v1/identity/name -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"name":"new-name"}'

:D

It should take a developer like... a day to put together an HTML form that wraps the setup configuration around

2) Custom username\passwords. Bonus points for Domain (realm) join and a basic checklist of domain usernames.

3) Tailscale.com support would be extra peachy.

4) Web based firmware updates

Bob Zelin

Re: Cloud Pod Mini Feature Requests

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 9:57 pm

I love this post.

I have to ASSUME that a web interface is coming. Remember - Blackmagic was in a big rush to have this come out for April 2022 - so I fully understand, but yea - a web interface - users, shared folders permissions, etc. Blackmagic wants this to be as easy as possible to configure - but just look at Resolve. It's not easy. Professionals (like Resolve Professionals, or ATEM professionals) need more than "plug and play". I have to ASSUME that Blackmagic get this (I hope).

As for integration with tail scale - not only does not Blackmagic do this, but neither does QNAP or Synology. QNAP and Synology - with all the Ransomware attacks since 2020, should be integrating both Zerotier and Tailscale (and so should Blackmagic) - for remote VPN. Will they do it ? Who knows !

Web based firmware updates - of course, you are 100% correct.

And let's face it - this is a shared storage solution. Shouldn't the ability to keep PostgreSQL 13 on the Cloud Store product line. They want to sell a $10,000 Cloud Store - why shouldn't this include an area to hold Project Server - why the need for a dedicated Mac mini ?

Like I said - this is a great post !

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

im.thatoneguy

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 2:53 am

One minor correction: Synology does have a Tailscale package.

Bob Zelin

PostSat Aug 27, 2022 4:20 pm

Dear Mr. im.thatoneguy

you sir, are correct, I am am wrong -
https://tailscale.com/kb/1131/synology/

I was about to say that you were wrong, as I searched the Synology Package Center and did not find Tailscale listed, but as the above link shows, YOU are correct !

Thank you for showing me this !
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Return to Post Production