Sending video signal out & back in on the same computer

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

spodzone

Sending video signal out & back in on the same computer

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 7:41 am

Hey,

I have a few external processors I like to use, (SD, a Fairlight CVI & a Panasonic MX70) and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to send a video signal from your computer & record it back in? Audio sound cards do this, and i'm looking for a more elegant solution than sending video out from Premiere on my PC to a DV Deck / firewire into my iMac to record, then passing that footage back to the PC to edit in resolve.
Windows 10 / RTX 4090 / Ryzen 5900x / 32gb ram / Resolve 18.1

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Sending video signal out & back in on the same computer

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 12:52 pm

The multi-channel DeckLink cards are capable of output and input of different video signals simultaneously. For example, on the DeckLink Duo 2, you get 4 channels (each up to 1080p60 capable) that can be assigned as either video inputs or video outputs. So you can use one of the SDI ports to output a video signal for some external processing and then bring it back into the one of the other SDI ports as a video input.

The multi-channel DeckLink cards behave similarly to having multiple separate video capture/playout devices installed in the computer. So you could have one program using one video channel (the first DeckLink subdevice) and a second program on the same computer using a different video channel (the second DeckLink subdevice), even though both DeckLink subdevices are actually on the same physical card.

In addition to the DeckLink Duo 2 (4-channels 1080p60), the other multi-channel DeckLink cards are the DeckLink Quad 2 (up to 8-channels 1080p60) and the DeckLink 8K Pro (up to 4-channels 2160p60).

PMCuser

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 3:34 pm

I used to do this when I needed a "live stream" workflow that worked for Resolve, Avid, and Premiere (before I acquired a BM Webcaster). As long as you have a full-duplex BM card, it def works. My setup was BM signal SDI out, looped back in and receiving SDI input in OBS Studio, combined with webcam, to NDI Virtual Input/Loopback, then on to zoom.

The two cards I did this with were the Decklink HD Extreme and the Decklink SDI 4k.

spodzone

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 3:16 pm

Great, thanks for the replies!! I’ll look into these.
Windows 10 / RTX 4090 / Ryzen 5900x / 32gb ram / Resolve 18.1

Return to Post Production