(OLD) Ultrastudio SDI - USB 3.0 in 2022 !

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Darko Djerich

(OLD) Ultrastudio SDI - USB 3.0 in 2022 !

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 9:59 am

10 years old - BLACKMAGIC BDLKULASDI ULTRASTUDIO SDI VIDEO INTERFACE SD/HD-SDI 10 bit, USB 3.0

I hope this info can help some of you guys, I have some really good news here !

How many times you got product that got redundant you wish it was still supported ?

This particular BMD product was introduced at the time in 2011 I think to allow SDI input from BMD camera and output via USB 3.0 for PC laptops.

While it was crafted beautifully and also was great product , it suffered from various bugs and was not recognised by many motherboards except for only some Nvidia chips in ASUS ROG and HP series , can not remember which one exactly. I got it to work back then on ASUS G74 ROG series and I was able to get clean feed in Resolve via BMCC 2.5K at the time.

GOOD NEWS IS THAT I JUST HAVE MANAGED TO SUCCESSFULLY INSTALL IT AND CONNECT IT TO THE LATEST VERSION OF RESOLVE 18 AS WELL AS DESKTOP VIDEO 12.4 with one of the latest gaming pretty powerful but affordable laptops running WIN 11 Pro - ASUS A15 TUFF RYZEN 7 5800H RTX3070 !!!

When I plugged it to ASUS A15 TUFF laptop it recognised it and asked for the software to be updated instantly, update was very quick and worked right away. I am not sure what update it was, probably some from the Ultrastudio products ?

This Ultrastudio unit is great, handy, self powered , capable product, when is able to pair but it was discontinued shortly after it was released due to many complaints of not being recognised on different machines.

It supports genlock as well as 1080p/60 resolution ! I managed to send BMCC 2.5 K CLEAN FEED video to Resolve as well as to monitor from Resolve to external display via this product !

I was about to throw this thing away recently, lucky I tested it.

Hope any of you have this lying around you can make use of it.

Also, side note, further I tried to connect it on iMac 5k 2017 running OS Monterey without any success.

Cheers.

ImageUltrastudio SDI - USB 3.0 by Darko Djeric, on Flickr
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Return to Post Production