Using an LG OLED as my main monitor for video editing Mac?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Daylincooper

PostWed Nov 02, 2022 2:57 pm

I'm currently in the market for a new main monitor to be used primarily for video editing on a Mac Studio using DaVinci Resolve but also for general browsing and YouTube. I asked a DaVinci Resolve Facebook group and for my budget and needs a lot of suggestions were to purchase a C2 OLED and get it calibrated paired with a Blackmagic Ultrastudio for video editing in Resolve. My budget is about $2400 Canadian and all the other monitor options of a Asus ProArt, Dell UltraSharp, BenQ, Apple Studio Display all have pros and cons but the more I look at something like a 42 inch Oled as my main the more I'm warming up to it. I would like to hear some of your opinions on this and what all I would need to make this work. Also if I do go this route, would i have the Blackmagic Ultrastudio plugged in only for editing use and then unplug it when I'm watching YouTube/browsing the web or do I just keep it plugged in 24/7? I don't think the Ultrastudio 4k is in my budget at the moment but color grading in 1080p shouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance.

Ellory Yu

Re: Using an LG OLED as my main monitor for video editing Ma

PostWed Nov 02, 2022 11:56 pm

IME, the LG OLED are great as client monitors, and you can say enough to be a cheap reference monitor. It is by no means a monitor I will use or recommend for DaVinci Resolve editing, fusion, grading, and equivalent tasks. If you want to go the route of having the LG OLED, here’s my basic suggested setup.
Connect the calibrated LG OLED to a UltraStudio and set it up as your reference monitor. Buy another 27” monitor like the ones you’ve mentioned (Asus ProArt, Dell, BenQ, etc.) and set that up as your DVR working display. I understand you have a budget. But just keep in mind of the expression - penny wise pound foolish. I’d save up to get the right stuff, or at least good working stuff.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 1:48 am

Second the LG OLED for client and grading, if you don't have very critical clients (who would have to pay you adequately). I'd say as a working display you can go for any cheap UHD 27", I use a simple LG there too.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 6:28 am

Here’s an option. Let me preface that this is a VA monitor. As long as you set it up so in is front and center to you, you will get amazing results with really deep blacks, 100% rec709 and 95% DCI-P3 color space. Get two of them, one for your workspace and another to reference your grade and it will be way within your budget. I kid you not.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Patrick Strenk

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:43 am

Anyone looked at the new Samsung 55" Class S95B OLED 4K QD Smart TV as a client monitor? seems to outperform the LG OLEDs.
Patrick Strenk
Editor | Colorist | VFX

WIN 10 PRO X64 | DaVinci Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio 18.6.2 | Desktop Vid 12.5.1 | Mini and SE Panel | Intensity Pro 4K | 7980XE 18 core | 128GB RAM | RTX3090 | SSD OS drive | 2GB NVMe cache drive | 4x6TB RAID

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 am

I echo what Ellory is saying. The LG Oleds are not really ideal as reference monitors despite their popularity: They are too big for most desks; unsuitable for any HDR and there are better more professional solutions for SDR Rec. 709. They can be great client monitors since they can accept 3D calibration Luts. I think I would feel short changed were I a client in a big facility and that was their only reference grade monitor, though. There really is a difference between around 1 thousand and 3-5 thousand pounds sterling for me, in what you get for your money.

My client monitor, because of space is a 40" Panasonic and it's VA too. At a pinch I could use it as a cheap reference monitor, since at 3000:1 contrast, it calibrates rather well, with a downstream lut and conceivably given it's smaller size I could use it on a desk, where it's narrow angle of view, would not be a concern. Again because of space, as a client monitor, this narrow axis is not a problem for me. But VA panels could be an issue in a larger suite with a few clients viewing, at the same time.

Mark Foster

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 12:25 pm

Patrick Strenk wrote:Anyone looked at the new Samsung 55" Class S95B OLED 4K QD Smart TV as a client monitor? seems to outperform the LG OLEDs.

i have not seen a samsung that outperformed any other ;- )

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 9:18 pm

S95B is actually very decent and looks like in some countries it's massively discounted. There is just issue with PQ tracking.
Vincent Teoh has a video about it.

update: looks like fixed with latest firmware and now PQ is track well. Apparently first Samsung TV which tracks PQ properly :D It may be good choice for prosumer work, but not so sure if overall it's better than LG.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 8:50 am

Unfortunately they don’t have the S95B in a 42” or 48” size.

rick.lang

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 5:52 am

Just reading about the new Samsung QD-OLED television that combines red and green quantum dots with the blue light powering OLED. I am not aware if this has been discussed in any detail yet.

Is it time to start think about rendering deliverables for the hybrid of these technologies in terms of colour grading?

“Developed by Samsung Display and implemented in the award-winning Samsung S95B and Sony A95K QD- TVs, QD-OLED panel technology stands out as the most innovative move in TV tech for 2022… QD-OLED tech increases color gamut and color brightness to a degree not possible with QLED or OLED technology. Thanks to QD-OLED, we can see colors that we’ve never seen on TVs before. The deep black levels of OLED are mixed with the brightness levels only seen on QLED TVs, giving us the best of both worlds. No wonder QD-OLED TVs like the S95B and A95K are universally hailed as the best you can buy.
-Caleb Denison, Dec 2, 2022
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 5:28 pm

Looks like the more expensive Sony A95K QD-OLED has the best Colour fidelity:

“Sony has designed the A95K to be as accurate as possible, perfect for movie buffs wanting to see exactly what the director intended. It fully covers the DCI-P3 HDR color gamut (at 98% coverage, the Samsung gets close) and colors out of the box in Custom picture mode are the best we’ve ever seen.

The Samsung, on the other hand, is tuned to have slightly brighter highlights, offering a little more punch for brighter rooms. While its average ANSI brightness is a tad lower than the A95K, particularly in SDR, its HDR peak brightness is the highest we’ve seen from any OLED screen. So explosions, star fields, and other specular highlights will jump off the screen more on the Samsung than the Sony.

There’s no right or wrong answer here, and it really comes down to your use case.”

Written by Geoffrey Morrison, Michael Desjardin, and John Higgins

This site has a lot of details but I’m thinking even this site is not 100% accurate as things can change with firmware updates or may simply have some inaccuracies. For example one review said the A95K covered 100% of P3 Colour while the S95B covered 98% as mentioned previously; however this site says they both cover 100%.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10
Rick Lang

Return to Post Production