BenQ vs. EIZO, and which BM I/O device?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Kinetropico

BenQ vs. EIZO, and which BM I/O device?

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 1:32 am

Hello again everyone.

I’m upgrading my current workstation, an iMac 27” 5K with a Ben-Q SW2700 monitor. I use an X-Rite Calibrator and also have the SpeedEditor, a Tangent Ripple, an audio I/O device, several RAID storage solutions and active speakers.

My new setup will be a MacStudio M1 Max with 64GB RAM (possibly with the 32-core GPU… or is the 24-core sufficient for Resolve?).

I was considering the Mac Studio Display to replace the iMac’s screen, but for that money I can get a monitor that offers hardware calibration and other options such as HDMI ports. So I’m considering the Ben-Q SW271C or the EIZO ColorEdge CS2740-4K 27”.

I have been happy with my current 2K BenQ and was almost set on the 4K Ben-Q SW271C, but for a little more money the EIZO can also be an option within my current budget. People seem to rave about EIZO monitors, claiming better color accuracy and more consistent build quality than BenQ. Also, some BenQ users report receiving “lemmons” which needed to be replaced.

Currently my iMac sits in front of me with my BenQ SW2700 on the right receiving the video feed from Resolve. I also have a 17” SEETEC monitor on the left, mostly to monitor 4 HDMI signals while using my ATEM Mini, and as a third monitor for general tasks or to place scopes and other Resolve tools. It’s a relatively inexpensive monitor, not sure if it could be properly calibrated to be used as a clean-feed monitor if needed.

For my new setup, I figure the new 4k Ben-Q or the EIZO would sit in front of me to replace the iMac’s 5K real-state as my main interface screen, the other two would stay left and right as described above.

I also want to add one of BlackMagic’s I/O solutions to bypass the Mac’s GPU for my Resolve video feed. I was set on the UltraStudio Monitor 3G for a clean feed going to the BenQ SW2700 on my right. However if I invest in a new 4K BenQ or EIZO that’ll be the better monitor in my setup, and the Color Page UI will live there. So maybe I should feed the Blackmagic clean signal to that one? That means I would need a 4K capable device like the UltraStudio 4K Mini, with a significant price increase and features I don’t currently foresee needing, such as SDI and audio inputs.

All of this has also made me consider a third possible option: Blackmagic’s PCI Intensity Pro 4K card in some kind of external PCI enclosure via Thunderboldt.

Presently, my main interest is monitoring a clean signal, not capturing video. However, I do have a documentary project in the backburner that would entail digitizing about 100 hrs. of Hi-8 video tapes. No set date for that project, however, so it's not a pressing need at this time.

For context: I’m a professional photographer and videographer. Video work is presently being done mostly with 4K footage from mirrorless cameras and Atomos Ninja V recorders in ProRes HQ. As far as video goes, my small company is doing mostly corporate work but also self-produced documentary projects. I provide service to local clients and strive for quality, which also means continuing to learn Resolve and color grading , as well as improving my workstation and camera gear gradually. My space is painted in neutral grey, no windows, with low intensity D65 lighting including FSI Medialight bias lighting behind the monitors. I love my current work space but I’m well aware of the difference between my kind of setup and a properly equipped high-level color grading suite with all the bells and whistles, where I have also been as a client in higher end projects. :-)

I will sincerely appreciate all useful thoughts and experiences you may want to share. Thanks in advance! :-)

mickspixels

Re: BenQ vs. EIZO, and which BM I/O device?

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 11:50 am

I don't know about those two specific monitors but I can definitely vouch for Eizo. I've had a couple of Eizo monitors over the years for photography as well as a couple of BenQs and the Eizos just have that extra class. It's not a myth. It's not that there is anything particularly wrong with the BenQs but the Eizos are in a class of their own. Given that there is only a small difference in price between the two I know which I would go for assuming the specs are similar.

Kinetropico

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 6:49 pm

mickspixels wrote:I don't know about those two specific monitors but I can definitely vouch for Eizo. I've had a couple of Eizo monitors over the years for photography as well as a couple of BenQs and the Eizos just have that extra class. It's not a myth. It's not that there is anything particularly wrong with the BenQs but the Eizos are in a class of their own. Given that there is only a small difference in price between the two I know which I would go for assuming the specs are similar.

Thanks for your input mickspixels, I appreciate it. The specs are generally similar. The BenQ includes the shade, which is optional for the EIZO, and the 2nd generation 2 HotPuck thingy, which I kind of like but would not determine my choice if the EIZO is better in terms of color accuracy and general build quality. The price difference where I am (Mexico) is about USD 250.

The BenQ claims HDR support, while EIZO's website page for the CS2740 states: "EIZO offers optional HLG and PQ curves for the ColorEdge CS2740 as an upgrade. The optimized gamma curves render images to appear more true to how the human eye perceives the real world compared to SDR." Apparently this is some sort of software update one can get by writing to EIZO support, but this isn't totally clear to me yet. HDR is not currently part of my workflow so it's not crucial at the time, but may be a future consideration.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 6:30 pm

I still say Eizo is different league than BenQ, even if BenQ may be actually very good monitor. Eizo been doing reference monitors for ages, where BenQ and many others just in last years started making models with calibration etc. Eizo simply has more experience.

In the same time read carefully about HDR support as Eizo does only very expensive HDR monitor. All others have HDR "gamma" support (PQ, HLG), but these are typical SDR monitors with peak brightness at around 400nits, so don't expect real HDR experience. You have to understand this. You can reliably preview image according to PQ/HLG, but only up to certain brightness.

Forget about HDR in BenQ as well as model which you mentioned is rated at 300nits, so this exactly same story as with Eizo.
On prad.de you have review for both and if price is ok for both for me choice is clear - Eizo. Both monitors cover "just" 90% of P3 as they are more print monitors than video. It's typical story- Eizo has real 10bit panel (BenQ 8bit+FRC), better uniformity, contrast, panel coating, less bleeding, etc. You also get 5 years warranty (not on all parts though).
"HDR support" as far as I understand is just a firmware update.
If you can stretch go for Eizo CG model, but this is more expensive :D

Kinetropico

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 8:52 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I still say Eizo is different league than BenQ, even if BenQ may be actually very good monitor. Eizo been doing reference monitors for ages, where BenQ and many others just in last years started making models with calibration etc. Eizo simply has more experience.

In the same time read carefully about HDR support as Eizo does only very expensive HDR monitor. All others have HDR "gamma" support (PQ, HLG), but these are typical SDR monitors with peak brightness at around 400nits, so don't expect real HDR experience. You have to understand this. You can reliably preview image according to PQ/HLG, but only up to certain brightness.

Forget about HDR in BenQ as well as model which you mentioned is rated at 300nits, so this exactly same story as with Eizo.
On prad.de you have review for both and if price is ok for both for me choice is clear - Eizo. Both monitors cover "just" 90% of P3 as they are more print monitors than video. It's typical story- Eizo has real 10bit panel (BenQ 8bit+FRC), better uniformity, contrast, panel coating, less bleeding, etc. You also get 5 years warranty (not on all parts though).
"HDR support" as far as I understand is just a firmware update.
If you can stretch go for Eizo CG model, but this is more expensive :D

Great points Andrew, thanks. I am leaning towards the Eizo, and the points you make about neither of these being a true HDR monitor are clear. As I said before, HDR is not really a deciding factor for me at this point. The 5 year warranty sounds good too, it means they have trust in their quality standards. I'm presently waiting for an answer from the vendor about warranty here in Mexico. Thanks for your feedback!

jallen0

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 9:22 pm

You might look at the ASUS ProArt Display PA32DC 32" 16:9 4K OLED Monitor ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... dc_32.html ) I have had it for the last few weeks and it is a fantastic monitor for grading. Also its HDR capabilities is at 500 nits, which gives you more latitude than either other monitor you are looking at.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 9:25 pm

This is way more expensive than other 2.

Kinetropico

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 11:01 pm

jallen0 wrote:You might look at the ASUS ProArt Display PA32DC 32" 16:9 4K OLED Monitor ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... dc_32.html ) I have had it for the last few weeks and it is a fantastic monitor for grading. Also its HDR capabilities is at 500 nits, which gives you more latitude than either other monitor you are looking at.

Hello, thanks for the suggestion. However, as Andrew pointed out, this is way more expensive and out of my budget range for now. :-)

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 1:28 am

Kinetropico wrote:All of this has also made me consider a third possible option: Blackmagic’s PCI Intensity Pro 4K card in some kind of external PCI enclosure via Thunderboldt.

I doubt that'll work.
Apple silicon is definitely not supporting eGPUs and you would have to make sure that any external card is supported.

What's wrong with monitoring in 2K/UHD? You can judge colors without having the full resolution. Only drawback: you'll have to keep your timeline in HD while working and switch back to UHD before rendering.

If your clients want UHD, make them pay for the 4K Mini.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Kinetropico

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 1:44 am

Uli Plank wrote:
Kinetropico wrote:All of this has also made me consider a third possible option: Blackmagic’s PCI Intensity Pro 4K card in some kind of external PCI enclosure via Thunderboldt.

I doubt that'll work.
Apple silicon is definitely not supporting eGPUs and you would have to make sure that any external card is supported.

What's wrong with monitoring in 2K/UHD? You can judge colors without having the full resolution.

Thank you Uli for the heads up on that. I was aware of the lack of support for eGPU on Macs, although I'm not sure the same would apply to this type of card, which is not strictly a GPU? Perhaps someone in this forum has more precise info about that?

Nothing wrong with monitoring in 2K, you make a good point. The new 4K monitor will be my main screen for all tasks and since I've been spoiled for years by the "screen real state" the 5K iMac provides I don't want to go down to 2K for my main screen. But to your point, I could get the $125 UltraStudio Monitor 3G to feed a clean signal to my current 2K BenQ, so I'd be looking at the Color Page interface on the calibrated screen of the 4K Eizo, AND checking the clean Blackmagic feed on the 2L BenQ. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your input!

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 2:28 am

Well, I'm not sure, I have no I/O card to test it. I can see my eGFX breakout box in the system overview, but my GPU is not getting used (of course). I hope someone can chime in on this.

If you are short on money, I'd use any decent UHD monitor for the GUI. I have an LG here and it's OK (the panels for the iMac were also made by LG and I was used to a 5K iMac too). And then use your old calibrated BenQ for monitoring color.

You'd need to switch the timeline to HD/2K while grading, since unfortunately the signal doesn't get scaled by DR (I was wrong recently about this in another thread). Otherwise, you'd be looking at a center crop.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 9:12 am

If you use Mac your GUI preview on calibrated Eizo should be accurate as well.
It would be actually a good test- compare clean feed on BenQ with Eizo (assume they match quite well after calibration).

Kinetropico

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 7:20 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Well, I'm not sure, I have no I/O card to test it. I can see my eGFX breakout box in the system overview, but my GPU is not getting used (of course). I hope someone can chime in on this.

I second that. Anyone out there with more knowledge of this?

Uli Plank wrote:If you are short on money, I'd use any decent UHD monitor for the GUI. I have an LG here and it's OK (the panels for the iMac were also made by LG and I was used to a 5K iMac too). And then use your old calibrated BenQ for monitoring color.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there's the issue of PPI, my experience looking at TVs up-close has not been great. How is it working for you in that regard?
I also make fine art prints and provide photography services for clients, so I want my main monitor to be as color accurate as possible. :-)

Uli Plank wrote:You'd need to switch the timeline to HD/2K while grading, since unfortunately the signal doesn't get scaled by DR (I was wrong recently about this in another thread). Otherwise, you'd be looking at a center crop.

Great tip, thanks!

Kinetropico

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 7:21 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you use Mac your GUI preview on calibrated Eizo should be accurate as well.
It would be actually a good test- compare clean feed on BenQ with Eizo (assume they match quite well after calibration).

Yes Andrew, that's what I thought, it'll be a good comparison test! :-)

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 2:09 am

Kinetropico wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:If you are short on money, I'd use any decent UHD monitor for the GUI. I have an LG here and it's OK (the panels for the iMac were also made by LG and I was used to a 5K iMac too). And then use your old calibrated BenQ for monitoring color.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there's the issue of PPI, my experience looking at TVs up-close has not been great. How is it working for you in that regard?

I was not thinking of a TV, but a 27" monitor by LG. Mine is getting calibrated regularly and it's not too far off, even if it's not reference quality. And then, the Mac has no scaling problems for the GUI.

We have this, but they have different names in different markets. Should be 300 something in US $:
https://www.tokopedia.com/lg-monitor/lg ... c%3Dsearch

Kinetropico

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 3:18 am

Uli Plank wrote:I was not thinking of a TV, but a 27" monitor by LG. Mine is getting calibrated regularly and it's not too far off, even if it's not reference quality. And then, the Mac has no scaling problems for the GUI.

We have this, but they have different names in different markets. Should be 300 something in US $:

Oh, I see. Thanks for making that clear Uli. I had looked at one of the LG Ultrafine monitors, the 5K version, which many people see as a true alternative to the Apple Studio Display... (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs).

The one you're using would save me tons of money compared to the EIZO, that's for sure. Definitely an apples-and-oranges comparison though. Still, something to consider, thanks!

I wonder, anyone else out there also using that LG 27ul500, or the 5K Ultrafine? Thoughts?

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 3:59 am

Well, the Ultrafine has the same panel as the iMac 5K. But IMHO it's a waste of money compared to the UHD model. It doesn't calibrate better than the UHD model. I have both of them sitting right next to each other, and from a normal viewing distance it's hard to spot a difference.

P.S. If you have more money to spend, I'd consider an Ultrawide. Great for long timelines.

Kinetropico

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 5:28 am

Uli Plank wrote:Well, the Ultrafine has the same panel as the iMac 5K. But IMHO it's a waste of money compared to the UHD model. It doesn't calibrate better than the UHD model. I have both of them sitting right next to each other, and from a normal viewing distance it's hard to spot a difference.

P.S. If you have more money to spend, I'd consider an Ultrawide. Great for long timelines.

If I understand correctly you have both LGs, the 5K and the UHD, and you perceive no real reason for the price difference other than the extra pixels? That's interesting, thanks for that info Uli.

I've been very tempted by the idea of a flat ultrawide monitor, but looking at specs I've found most models sacrifice vertical resolution, which I would not like. Among the few that don't an interesting option seems to be the LG 34BK95U (5120 x 2160 pixels). It gets mixed reviews, though, and as far as I can see its literature doesn't give much detail about color spaces (it only states "Accurate Color with 98% DCI-P3"). Oddly enough, price in the US is USD 1,125, attractively below the almost 2000 dollars for the EIZO. But here in Mexico prices vary between 2500 and 3500 US dollars, so even more expensive than the EIZO. (!!!). I could order it from B&H, which should put it at approx. USD 1,600 including import taxes and shipping, but I'd be stuck with a US warranty in Mexico should anything go wrong.

Anyone out there using ultrawide monitors for Resolve? I'd love to hear more about those experiences.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 5:53 am

Uli Plank wrote:
Kinetropico wrote:

I was not thinking of a TV, but a 27" monitor by LG. Mine is getting calibrated regularly and it's not too far off, even if it's not reference quality. And then, the Mac has no scaling problems for the GUI.

I’m using the same (or equal) model to Uli’s LG which I also calibrate it regularly. I use a dual setup for editing and grading but use a LG CX OLED as reference via a decklink mini monitor 4K. This is the LG I’m using for editing and grading.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs

I am contemplating on getting 3 of this one for workflow and reference. I saw a friend who has it and was blown away by it and at the amazing price, I can get 3 of them for the price of one LG CX. This is a VA monitor and if position correctly, the blacks are blacks and hard to differentiate from an LG CX OLED and they are not TVs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... x2160.html

It has a 3000:1 contrast ratio and supports 95% P3 and 100% REC709.
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 6:03 am

Kinetropico wrote:If I understand correctly you have both LGs, the 5K and the UHD, and you perceive no real reason for the price difference other than the extra pixels?

No, I have the iMac 2017 and the LG UHD next to each other. Please note that the panel technology (by LG) in the iMac is about 6 years old. I don't think LG has developed the Ultrafine further.

Kinetropico

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 8:46 pm

Uli Plank wrote:No, I have the iMac 2017 and the LG UHD next to each other. Please note that the panel technology (by LG) in the iMac is about 6 years old. I don't think LG has developed the Ultrafine further.

Got it, thanks!

Kinetropico

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 9:26 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I’m using the same (or equal) model to Uli’s LG which I also calibrate it regularly. I use a dual setup for editing and grading but use a LG CX OLED as reference via a decklink mini monitor 4K. This is the LG I’m using for editing and grading.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs

I am contemplating on getting 3 of this one for workflow and reference. I saw a friend who has it and was blown away by it and at the amazing price, I can get 3 of them for the price of one LG CX. This is a VA monitor and if position correctly, the blacks are blacks and hard to differentiate from an LG CX OLED and they are not TVs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... x2160.html

It has a 3000:1 contrast ratio and supports 95% P3 and 100% REC709.

Thanks Ellory and everyone in this thread. This forum is such a great place to have useful "conversations" amongst us "geeks". :-) If I had come here only to get validation about lusting for an EIZO monitor I should just go and spend my money on the damn thing, right? :lol:

Now, you've all made me wonder whether I should reevaluate this whole decision. I just made a side by side comparison of specs (as listed by B&H), which of course is arbitrary right off the bat because the EIZO is 5 times as expensive as the other two and aimed at a different user type.

Be that as it may, at least on paper many of the specs look similar. Which again poses the question: Should I spend that much money on a monitor? I'm willing to go for the EIZO if it really makes a significant difference in terms of a professional workflow. But even if I can afford it I could also direct some of those resources to other equipment needs (and those never end as we all know). If durability/warranty were the main advantages of the EIZO, it could be argued that if something goes wrong with the less expensive monitors one could just replace it with a newer/better model and still stay below the cost of the EIZO.

Just to refresh my usage scenario:
- Color Grading in Resolve and Image Processing in Lightroom are equally important to me.
- At this point my thinking is I'll use the UltraStudio Monitor 3G to feed a clean signal from Resolve to my current BenQ, which would be my reference monitor on the right side of my desk. That BenQ is "only" 2K but does offer hardware calibration and comes factory-equipped with REC-709, AdobeRGB, sRGB, and even a B&W mode to preview images in monochrome. I keep it calibrated and really like it so far.
- The screen in front of me should be 4K at least (to have enough real-state) and accurate enough for Resolve's Color Page and for color RAW image processing in Lightroom.
- Both screens will be calibrated with a Color Munki Photo.

As for having an OLED TV for reference, it's definitely an interesting option but I don't think my current space makes it so desirable, specially since they all seem to start at rather large sizes. But I'll think more about that as well.

I'm attaching here the specs sheet I made. The BenQ is a VA panel, so it provides more contrast (but less color accuracy, maybe?). It also has a lower ppi than the other two, which are practically identical in that regard.

As you can see, the "Color Gamut" specs mention different color spaces... not sure how to compare that.

The EIZO is the only "true" 10-bit display of the bunch, and the only one that lists "16-Bit Look Up Table".

Thoughts? Again, thank you all for your time and input! I hope this discussion is also useful to others facing similar choices. :D
Attachments
EIZOCS2740_LG27UK500_BENQEW327OU.png
EIZOCS2740_LG27UK500_BENQEW327OU.png (743.15 KiB) Viewed 4367 times

Ellory Yu

PostWed Nov 16, 2022 4:00 am

My thoughts on your selections…
If you got the money and need only one monitor, hands down go with the EIZO.
Between the LG IPS and the Benq VA, the ppi is not much relevant unless you’re doing print. The IPS allows you to see the screen at different angles which the VA does not. But from what I have seen, since I have the LG and my friend has the BenQ VA, the latter has more contrast and the colors looks better, not necessarily accurate but more than enough to pass mustard and both are pretty the same. For me working on narrative films, the gamma - having a 100% rec709 and 95% P3 is important as I calibrate for that. The LG is 98% SRGB and is fine for editing and for web videos. So if money is limited, I would go with the BenQ. In fact, I have been thinking of replacing my 2 LGs and the 1 LG CX Reference TV to 3 BenQ VA giving me the same gamma to calibrate for. It’s my plan but since the LG’s have been holding up and I have been doing work with them, I still just don’t have a high enough justification to buy new monitors. :D. Since my clients are 100% indie film producers, I think my setup is good enough. If my clients were commercial agencies, then I will get EIZOs and of course pass the cost to the clients.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostWed Nov 16, 2022 4:28 am

Second that.
One more thing to consider: for monitoring color in 4K, you’d also need a considerably more expensive interface. OTOH you won’t have to switch your timeline back and forth (if not needed for performance).

Kinetropico

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 10:37 pm

Hello Ellory and Uli.
I'm running around like crazy today but I wanted to check in and acknowledge your comments. Thanks. More later.
Cheers.

IGH

Kinetropico

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 2:15 am

Ellory Yu wrote:My thoughts on your selections…
If you got the money and need only one monitor, hands down go with the EIZO.
Between the LG IPS and the Benq VA, the ppi is not much relevant unless you’re doing print. The IPS allows you to see the screen at different angles which the VA does not. But from what I have seen, since I have the LG and my friend has the BenQ VA, the latter has more contrast and the colors looks better, not necessarily accurate but more than enough to pass mustard and both are pretty the same. For me working on narrative films, the gamma - having a 100% rec709 and 95% P3 is important as I calibrate for that. The LG is 98% SRGB and is fine for editing and for web videos. So if money is limited, I would go with the BenQ. In fact, I have been thinking of replacing my 2 LGs and the 1 LG CX Reference TV to 3 BenQ VA giving me the same gamma to calibrate for. It’s my plan but since the LG’s have been holding up and I have been doing work with them, I still just don’t have a high enough justification to buy new monitors. :D. Since my clients are 100% indie film producers, I think my setup is good enough. If my clients were commercial agencies, then I will get EIZOs and of course pass the cost to the clients.

Good, sensible points. More to think about. Thanks!

Kinetropico

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 2:15 am

Uli Plank wrote:Second that.
One more thing to consider: for monitoring color in 4K, you’d also need a considerably more expensive interface. OTOH you won’t have to switch your timeline back and forth (if not needed for performance).

Got it, thanks for that tip!

Uli Plank

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 3:01 am

Well, it depends.
If an external enclosure with the Intensity Pro 4K can work with Apple silicon, it might be cheaper.

Kinetropico

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 3:44 am

Uli Plank wrote:Well, it depends.
If an external enclosure with the Intensity Pro 4K can work with Apple silicon, it might be cheaper.

Now that you mention it, here's a message I received today from a trusted friend with 30+ years of industry experience in high-end cinema gear rentals:

"Talked to the CTO of the company who’s doing a lot of work with Apple these days and he confirmed that the BMD IO boxes work just fine with the Mac Studio, including the card in a thunderbolt enclosure. But he says he prefers the Ultrastudio mini 4k."

So yeah, that seems to be confirmed! :-)

Uli Plank

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 4:36 am

Great!

Filmobsession

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi,

Please can somebody point me in the right direction…

1. I own 27” IMac 5K & 13” MacBook Pro (both 2019 models).
2. I do professional Photo and Video
3. I recently bought a 4K Benq 27” SW271c & Colour Checker Display Plus.
4. BM Ultrastudio 3G

Please ‘Simply’ Educate me…

1. Is BM Ultrastudio 3G compatible with SW271c monitor?
2. Can I Grade using a FHD timeline and export UHD with my current setup?
3. Or, would it better for me to return the 4K monitor and get Benq SW270c (2K Version)?
4. If I do return the 4K Monitor, would it be right for me to believe I can Edit and grade in HD timeline and export timeline in 4K without much issues?

Thanks in advance

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 11:37 pm

Which GPU is in that iMac?

Filmobsession

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 12:03 am

Hi,

Appreciate the response.

iMac: Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB.
MacBook Pro: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

Based on the limited information I’ve mentioned, I’d love to know how you would would setup go about for Photo (Capture One/Lightroom/Photoshop) & Video (Premiere Pro & Davinci Resolve).

If you care to List the pros and cons to ideas that would be most helpful, Uli.

I’m new to this side of the coin so I’d like to have the basics in order and move forward and learn.

Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 2:16 am

Well, the 580 will make some limited work possible in UHD, but be careful with temporal effects.
Pro for staying HD/2K is lower cost. Con: you can't judge your quality in UHD and you can't do so for photography. Since the iMac can work with external Thunderbolt enclosures it should be possible to use it with a 4K I/O interface. If you find a good second-hand offer, that might be a cheaper solution than the 4K Mini.

Filmobsession

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 8:02 am

Thanks mate

DoncaBrown

PostSun Dec 25, 2022 10:25 pm

Learning a lot from this thread.

I´m also a profesional photographer for many years, and a beginner on video an cine.

Don' think I can give much advise here, but one modest suggest: add the cheapest monitor you find, probably a small one, just to have permanently the scopes on it.

My equipment is very humild, good enough for photography but not still for video. But is cheap and very comfortable to work:

I also use a BenQ for reference, an old Dell 27 " down for the controls (the position is really good ofor my neck), a vertical not good monitor at my right for libraries, to watch portrait photos and for reading documents, and a very old and cheap Acer at my left. In video i use it for scopes, when workign on photo to focus on very small details.
Attachments
Worksapce_DON9550.jpg
Worksapce_DON9550.jpg (151.88 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Davinci Resolve studio 18.6 on Windows 11
Gigabyte Z370P D3 + Intel i5-8400
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 12GB
SSD M.2 NVMe on Board + Several SSD SATA

Kinetropico

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 7:25 pm

DoncaBrown wrote:Learning a lot from this thread.

Don' think I can give much advise here, but one modest suggest: add the cheapest monitor you find, probably a small one, just to have permanently the scopes on it.

I agree, that's how I have my setup too. In my case I keep a 17" SEETEC monitor on my left, I bought it for Streaming (it has 4 HDMI inputs so it can show a quad-split screen of 4 sources), but when I work in Resolve I keep my scopes on it and also use it to expand the Color Warper tool for more precision.

Thanks for your feedback! :-)

Return to Post Production