27” Monitor for pro Photographer and Video Editing

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Tono-Balaguer

27” Monitor for pro Photographer and Video Editing

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 12:04 am

Hi I am long term photographer and not so expert at all with video editing. I’m about purchasing a Mac Studio M1 Max this week and I have to find a new monitor. My iMac 27” 5k did the job but I need a new one for my new Mac Studio. I have been looking hundreds of reviews asking here and there…
My main concern is that the right monitor for photography not necessarily match with the ideal for DaVinci with 4K video.

My main concern with Photoshop is about 27” monitor with 4K-5k when I see the images at 100% aren’t big enough to work with precision. I need to zoom up to 200/300%. A 2k monitor as BenQ SW270C would allow me working still images in a more logical size when zooming to 100%. It’s not a beautiful monitor that match with the mac aluminum minimalist aesthetic. I also like the Dell U2723QE but does not covers Adobe RGB color space as BenQ does

On another hand when I edit video with DR in my actual 5k iMac m

Y main concern is that 27” are not big enough (in height) to allow seeing the visor in an enough big size to notice the details when I am working with precision in masking or whatever. So maybe a 32” monitor would allow me to have a bigger size visor. Maybe enough to don’t needing a second monitor. I am contemplating the Dell U3223QE.

My question here is hearing the point of view of people working in photography and Video with the same monitor. How important is a 4K monitor for editing 4K video compared to doing in a 2k monitor. Also what about the sizes 27” vs 32” I don’t have a huge desk to work far away of my monitor so I wonder how comfortable is to work on a 32” at 2,5 to 3 feet from screen. I have mentioned 3 Monitors here so any advice about which one or any other up to $800-900 no more budget.
Thanks in advance
Mac Studio 10 CPU / 24 GPU Ram 32 1Tb disk & External 2 TB TB 4 M.2
2015 iMac Retina 5k 27" Ram 32 3 TB Fusion Drive

Tono-Balaguer

Re: 27” Monitor for pro Photographer and Video Editing

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 3:07 pm

Not any help with my decision?
BTW do you think that there is an ideal distance for the working monitor to my eyes depending on choosing 27” vs 32” just to be sure if 32” can fit in my desk o discard the 32” size.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 3:26 pm

If you cen afford extra $ get Eizo CS2740. This is better choice.
Don't trust much in manufactures' spec as for monitors they lie a lot :)

Kinetropico

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 10:41 pm

Hello Tono, I recently posted a question here in the forum about a similar scenario (photographer-videographer here, changing from iMac to new MacStudio). It's still ongoing and you may find some of it useful, it's BenQ vs. EIZO, and which BM I/O device?

IGH

Tono-Balaguer

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 10:52 pm

Kinetropico wrote:Hello Tono, I recently posted a question here in the forum about a similar scenario (photographer-videographer here, changing from iMac to new MacStudio). It's still ongoing and you may find some of it useful, it's BenQ vs. EIZO, and which BM I/O device?

IGH

Thanks so much Kinetropico! I actually did read it but in your post an aso here I received an advice about the EIZO Cs2740 which I also think that is stunning. But all of them are over $1.500 which is double of my actual budget. I’m not working so much lately and my budget is much more limited. If I don’t see an obvious alternative I will go with Dell U2723QE. I know it’s not the one to compete against Eizo and $1,7k Apple or BenQ. But today those are out of my budget range. Thanks

Kinetropico

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 1:27 am

Tono-Balaguer wrote:Thanks so much Kinetropico! I actually did read it but in your post an aso here I received an advice about the EIZO Cs2740 which I also think that is stunning. But all of them are over $1.500 which is double of my actual budget. I’m not working so much lately and my budget is much more limited. If I don’t see an obvious alternative I will go with Dell U2723QE. I know it’s not the one to compete against Eizo and $1,7k Apple or BenQ. But today those are out of my budget range. Thanks

Sure! I'm going to look into that Dell that's been recommended to you. I've been happy with my BenQ SW2700, which has been updated to the BenQ SW270C (which is about 100 USD more than the Dell). I use it mostly on the right as a second monitor in both Lightroom and Resolve, although it could work as a main monitor, even if it's "only" 2K.

Tono-Balaguer wrote:My main concern is that 27” are not big enough (in height) to allow seeing the visor in an enough big size to notice the details when I am working with precision in masking or whatever.

I don't know if this may be new information to you, but when I switched from Premiere to Resolve it took me a while to realize I needed to replace my Apple Magic Mouse with a mouse that has a center scroll-wheel which also acts as a button. Without that center button/wheel you cannot zoom into the Viewer in Resolve's color page and pan for more precise adjustment of masks. I chose a Logitec G600 and haven't missed the Magic Mouse at all.

Tono-Balaguer

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 11:49 am

Kinetropico wrote:I don't know if this may be new information to you, but when I switched from Premiere to Resolve it took me a while to realize I needed to replace my Apple Magic Mouse with a mouse that has a center scroll-wheel which also acts as a button. Without that center button/wheel you cannot zoom into the Viewer in Resolve's color page and pan for more precise adjustment of masks. I chose a Logitec G600 and haven't missed the Magic Mouse at all.

Hi I still use the Magic Mouse. I don’t love it at all but there are shortcuts with the keyboard that you can zoom, pan and scroll up/down with keys Alt and Shift. But maybe I also will update my mouse to a more comfortable and easy to Zoom.
Since you are in a more or less similar situation than me I would love to ask you some questions concerning the fact of sharing Photoshop and DaVinci on the same monitor. I noticed that in a 4k monitor in Photoshop I zoom to a 100% and I see so small the details when you have to edit small fine details as hairs or little dust micro spots or creating accurate masks. Then I have to Zoom at 300-400% and I have the good size to see the details but I am pixelating the images since I am doing bigger than 100%. That is why I contemplate a 2K monitor. But switching to work with DR 4k video 4k screen allows viewing the 4k video outputs at its real size. So with a 2k monitor I wouldn’t be able to see the 4k video real quality. That is why my heart is split to decide which one to choose. What is your point to manage this? Notice that Photoshop did allow to set to work in low resolution mode but in the last versions does not allow that so it wasn’t an issue until they canceled that feature. Let me know your point about these thoughts

Kinetropico

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 2:11 am

Tono-Balaguer wrote:Hi I still use the Magic Mouse. I don’t love it at all but there are shortcuts with the keyboard that you can zoom, pan and scroll up/down with keys Alt and Shift. But maybe I also will update my mouse to a more comfortable and easy to Zoom.

You're absolutely right. That's funny, I could swear sure this wasn't possible 2+ years ago, I even remember seeing some discussions in this forum about the need to get a different mouse because the MM didn't work with the normal modifier keys. Maybe it was updated in DVR? That's great.

As far as monitor resolution and using both photo editing software and Resolve, here's my two cents:

- I have the iMac in front of me (5K) and the 2K BenQ on the right, plus a smaller SEETEC 17" on the left.

- I use the iMac as main screen in Lightroom, Photoshop and Resolve. The Ben Q is used as second display for Lightroom (full screen image) and for the clean video feed from Resolve. The 17" is for the scopes when grading in Resolve (and to monitor 4 video signals with an ATEM Mini while streaming).

- I've never felt uncomfortable with the issues you mention regarding percentage of zoom when using Photoshop on the iMac, but perhaps we work in different ways. Nowadays I do most of my digital darkroom in Lightroom, although I do use Photoshop frequently and for some work I still do my fair share of paths, compositing, and retouching. But perhaps your work entails a lot more of that, at a finer level of detail, and those magnification issues are more relevant to you?

- For me the big plus about the 5K screen is the level of detail and the "real state" it offers (oh yeah, the pretty punchy colors too). But I don't think the new Apple Studio Display is the right choice for me, which is why I'm also looking for a substitute, ideally 5K but more likely 4K monitor. Since that will be my main screen I want something that's color accurate for photo and video workflows and as a reference when printing images. I do feel that after using the iMac's 5K screen for almost 10 years it would actually feel like a downgrade if I went to a 2K monitor for my main screen... so 4K at least for me, but for those reasons.

- I shoot video in 4K but still edit frequently in HD timelines. Being able to monitor my Resolve clean feed in a real 4K screen has not seemed like a crucial need so far. I can look at my 4K footage or renders on the main screen if I want to and I've thought about eventually adding a "client" 4K OLED TV to my room just for that purpose in the future, but as others have indicated in this forum, a 4K monitor is not strictly needed to grade 4K footage. I will however add to my new setup one of the Blackmagic boxes to get truly "clean" output from DaVinci into the BenQ.

- The BenQ, which in its current version is still around 700 US$, comes with internal hardware pre-calibrated for Adobe RGB, sRGB, Rec709, DCI-P3 and B&W, plus slots to save your own calibration profiles also in the monitor's hardware (bypassing the Mac's color management if you do it right). It's easy to switch between those profiles using the Puck-like device. So even if I'm tweaking color adjustments in Lightroom or Resolve while looking at screen 1, screen 2 is a second check and the two of them should closely match if properly calibrated. As a side note, the BenQ can also be rotated to portrait orientation, which always blows my mind when I'm working with vertical images, and the hood is also included. :D

I don't know if any of that is useful, but I hope some of it might be. I'm still trying to figure this out myself, so if I've said something that doesn't make sense I will welcome all wise corrections.

Best of luck with your decision!

Tono-Balaguer

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 12:28 pm

Kinetropico wrote:......Magic Mouse with a mouse that has a center scroll-wheel that also acts as a button. Without that center button/wheel you cannot zoom into the Viewer in Resolve's color page and pan for more precise adjustment of masks. I chose a Logitec G600 and haven't missed the Magic Mouse at all.

hi thanks for your points, it seems that we've different needs while using Photoshop, and I perfectly understand your point. BTW You told me that you are using the Logitec G600 mouse I check it and I saw a bunch of lateral buttons and also 2 more rear the center wheel is like a crazy amount of possibilities allowed for driving a spatial rocket with only one mouse!!! My question is about if you are using the customizable buttons in that mouse for any taskor shortcut in DR? I'm curious because I thought I would only need a central wheel chat I can also click on it, just I'm curious about how you custom those buttons for DR if you do.

I see you are in Mexico I did live there1 year and a Half in Quintana Roo, I have part of my family living there now from 15 years ago. Buena onda mi cuate Ivan!

P.S. I did research in google and found a solution for my Photoshop Issue, since Photoshop on Retina 5k screen show the half of the size than on any other app, they add a view shortcut to see image at a 200% size as a compensation for this, so I switched the keyboard shortcut to view 100% and sett a 200% and my 4k-5k monitor issue with photoshop now is gone! I just write this just in case future videographers have the same issue using Photoshop, hope this can help !

Tono-Balaguer

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 2:35 pm

One generic question about monitor size. I have measure now my working distance to my monitor and it's exactly 60cm, that I could increase up to a maximum 67cm due to my desktop. But I cannot change the distance to a bigger one anyway.
I'm about to purchase the monitor Today, or tomorrow.... this black Friday week it's now or now. I have a doubt about the size, I'm going to the Dell 4k Ultrasharp U2723QE / U3223QE finally. In my country, only the 32" has a special discount so the price tag between both is very little almost the same price. Not being a budget issue, I consider how would it be working at this 65cm (2,13 feet / 25") distance in a 27" monitor compared to a 32", since both have 4k resolution PPI are different: 27": 163 ppi and 32" 138 ppi.

not asking about brands or any other advice, just asking about the daily experience of working in the mentioned distance with both sizes (pros/cons) and which one would you choose. Now my 5k 27" iMac has a very logical size for that distance, but the DR visor is too small and would require a second monitor if I choose 27". meanwhile choosing the 32" maybe the visor would increase in size and will allow working on only one monitor.
BTW I did already purchase today my Mac Studio Max 32 Ram / 1 TB... that cannot be undone!

ricardo marty

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 3:01 pm

Check out the BenQ monitors at bh:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ci_p3.html

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Tono-Balaguer

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 3:04 pm

ricardo marty wrote:Check out the BenQ monitors at bh:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ci_p3.html

Ricardo Marty

Thanks Ricardo Sorry I cannot buy on B&H living in Spain customs and shipping charges as crazy high

mickspixels

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 4:20 pm

Tono-Balaguer wrote:One generic question about monitor size. I have measure now my working distance to my monitor and it's exactly 60cm, that I could increase up to a maximum 67cm due to my desktop. But I cannot change the distance to a bigger one anyway.
I'm about to purchase the monitor Today, or tomorrow.... this black Friday week it's now or now. I have a doubt about the size, I'm going to the Dell 4k Ultrasharp U2723QE / U3223QE finally. In my country, only the 32" has a special discount so the price tag between both is very little almost the same price. Not being a budget issue, I consider how would it be working at this 65cm (2,13 feet / 25") distance in a 27" monitor compared to a 32", since both have 4k resolution PPI are different: 27": 163 ppi and 32" 138 ppi.
!

I work at about 60cm from my monitors. I've even had my close-up glasses made for 60cm distance. I think it is a healthy distance and it won't matter much between those screen resolutions.

There is agood review of the 32" Dell on TFT Central in the UK https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell-ultrasharp-u3223qe. It is really a general purpose monitor and the review says that colour accuracy say it leaves a lot to be desired. You might find out it is false economy not to go for a BenQ or Eizo designed for video/photography. BenQ monitors are available in Spain (and Germany) although probably quite a bit more expensive than the Dell - but not if you have to buy another monitor down the line.

Tono-Balaguer

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 8:53 pm

mickspixels wrote:…..consider how would it be working at this 65cm (2,13 feet / 25") distance in a 27" monitor compared to a 32", since both have 4k resolution PPI are different: 27": 163 ppi and 32" 138 ppi.
………a BenQ or Eizo designed for video/photography. BenQ monitors are available in Spain (and Germany) although probably quite a bit more expensive than the Dell - but not if you have to buy another monitor down the line.

Thanks Mick. I read the article and understood that this Dell performance is good in sRGB and also in 709. But not in RGB same as Apple mid range displays.

This 32” Dell you can find these days about 750€ And Eizo CS2470 in 27” is about 1600€ and BenQ SW271C also 27” is about 1500€ and BenQ 32” SW321C in 1800€.

It’s double price the Adobe RGB 100% coverage monitor downgrading to a smaller 27” while in 32” are more than double.

I need to think again all this. I was about the Dell and you guys are making me think about which one. But I have had since Long ago 100% Eizo monitors and since my work is mostly never printed an 99% is for web usage I ended selecting the sRGB color space in my work and in my expensive previous Eizo. Adobe RGB was born to create a color space suitable to convert images to CMYK for traditional analog printers. Nowadays in my workflow Adobe RGB is a no sense color space. RGB 100% monitors are not necessary in a world where 99% of the images are shown on screens. It’s a marketing tool for defend the expensive monitors needs. But I want a good one for reasonable price and 99-100 of sEGB and 709

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 9:24 pm

If you don't do print forget about Adobe RGB.

Tono-Balaguer

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 9:29 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you don't do print forget about Adobe RGB.

Just because all the inputs and advices here are focused in to th BenQ and Eizos 100% RGB monitors by default. And mostly few advices were received agreeing with my chosen Dell U2723QE
Last edited by Tono-Balaguer on Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinetropico

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 12:14 am

Tono-Balaguer wrote:You told me that you are using the Logitec G600 mouse I check it and I saw a bunch of lateral buttons and also 2 more rear the center wheel is like a crazy amount of possibilities allowed for driving a spatial rocket with only one mouse!!! My question is about if you are using the customizable buttons in that mouse for any taskor shortcut in DR? I'm curious because I thought I would only need a central wheel chat I can also click on it, just I'm curious about how you custom those buttons for DR if you do.

Here, check this video for a full explanation of how you might use the Logitech mouse with DVR:

I must admit, I'm not using most of them yet, and since I also have a StreamDeck I have other tactile options I'm using more. But I do have one side button programmed for Save and another for Undo, and those are second nature by now. I'll program more in the future, and these are of course programmable in whatever app you're using. Also, and this I find really useful, the button behind the scroll-wheel allows you to change the pitch or "speed" of the mouse, with no need to go to mouse preferences in MacOS

Tono-Balaguer wrote:I see you are in Mexico I did live there1 year and a Half in Quintana Roo, I have part of my family living there now from 15 years ago. Buena onda mi cuate Ivan!

That's great, I lived in Quintana Roo for several years too, but now have my base in Merida, Yucatan. ¡Saludos!

Tono-Balaguer wrote:I did research in google and found a solution for my Photoshop Issue, since Photoshop on Retina 5k screen show the half of the size than on any other app, they add a view shortcut to see image at a 200% size as a compensation for this, so I switched the keyboard shortcut to view 100% and sett a 200% and my 4k-5k monitor issue with photoshop now is gone! I just write this just in case future videographers have the same issue using Photoshop, hope this can help !

That's great to know, thanks for the tip, good to know you found a workaround.

Tono-Balaguer

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 2:36 pm

A tip that many of you already know but I discovered yesterday. There is a feature in certain screens that increases the eyes fatigue. Is a kind of flickering that appears more when the monitor is set in lower bright settings. It’s called PWM and you should be aware of these screens. You should go for DC Dimming screens which are more eyes friendly. Most of us spend long time looking screens and is a good tip to know

In my particular situation I was about purchasing the Dell U3223QE and it has PWM. I am about going for the same with 27” U2723QE that lack PWM in spite of being the same series. I will try to see among the contemplated options which are DC instead PWM.

Tono-Balaguer

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 1:56 pm

Well, I have to add my final thoughts about my DELL monitor purchase. I ENDED up PACKING THE DELL U2723QE and sending it back to the seller. I've been 10 days testing the monitor and besides I have my older iMac 27" 5k. I set on the DELL the 4 options (no preset), sRGB, P3, and 709. In any of these presets I found accuracy in color. I found a washed black color compared to the iMac 27. My own photographs I did not recognize them as my own, lacking contrast and washed color. No matter how high you push the contrast level. iMac beside is the beast to beat. I'm not going to waste my bucks on any screen that shows my images worst than my previous monitor. I'm now at the same point as my starting point, more or less, I want your advice because my Mac Studio is now hidden in a box waiting to be paired with a new monitor, based on my previous experience I think I'm not going to pick Dells, Benq.... my options are these ones in order of preference:

1st - Apple studio display 27": Not configurable, but with good native colors and a very similar screen compared to my previous iMac 272 which has been my reference for 7 years, and never had an issue with color accuracy with any client. I know is not built for calibration, I'm not going to need Adobe RGB, and it has somehow a unique pairing with the Apple ecosystem. Cons: I FIND IT OVERPRICED

2nd - LG UltraFine 5K display. I did never contemplate this one before because I didn´t know it. I've read that has a 99% similarity in color with iMac 27" screens and also with Apple Studio Display with a difference in luminosity that I'm not going to need. I don't need anything beyond my iMac 27, but that could work with the new Mac Studio. CONS: it's kind of ugly, old-school design (that is something that I have to do business with myself because is $700 less than Apple's 27"). Also, I read that have had some issues in compatibility terms with some mac devices. Is that true?

3rd - Reaching the price point of Apple Studio Display we have the EIZO CS2740, I don't love the Eizo esthetics in spite that I had few of them in the past. But since I don't need Adobe RGB98 I don't see the advantage clearly. In the past before working with my iMac27 I owned an Eizo Coloredge of 24" and I may admit that when switching to Apple's glossy 27" 5k screen I never missed the Eizo accuracy and never looked back. It's at the same price level as Apple's Studio display 27" but my eyes are still in love with the iMac 27" 5k. Maybe because glossy gives a punch to blacks or don't know but I'm not sure if I have to put first love or mind.

BTW Ezo and Apple are out of my original budget but I need to start working with my Mac Studio and I cannot walk backward now.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:12 pm

This is very strange. This Dell uses new IPS black panel which gives 2000:1 contrast without any tricks.
Very possible there was some other problem.

Tono-Balaguer

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:31 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:This is very strange. This Dell uses new IPS black panel which gives 2000:1 contrast without any tricks.
Very possible there was some other problem.

I cannot wait more time to check it again since expires the return date

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:33 pm

First of all Dell is matt screen, so it will look quite different to very glossy Apple.
What you see on Mac doesn't necessarily is correct- it may just have more "wow" effect.

Tono-Balaguer

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 3:22 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:First of all Dell is matt screen, so it will look quite different to very glossy Apple.
What you see on Mac doesn't necessarily is correct- it may just have more "wow" effect.

Yes I don’t say it is not the Wow effect. But imagine 7 years looking at the same iMac display and suddenly turning into a matt screen…. There’s something about a memory of color and “wowness“ that my eyes are use to see. But…. does the LG will provide the same feeling than my IMac? LG is about $600-700 cheaper than Apple monitor

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 3:24 pm

You will have a "memory" in eyes for sure.
No idea about LG.
Are you talking about new Apple monitor?. I don't think they are that good at all.

Tono-Balaguer

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:00 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You will have a "memory" in eyes for sure.
No idea about LG.
Are you talking about new Apple monitor?. I don't think they are that good at all.

Yes about the new Apple Studio Display 5k 27”. I know it is not a stunning monitor based in its features on paper specs. But there is not many options today. I am more about the Apple since can integrate on the Apple ecosystem and it’s True Color. I am not pretending to get better experience than my 5k 27 iMac. But I want to be sure about don’t having a worse experience… as it happened with Dell

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:05 pm

TrueColor as auto adjustment to surroundings?
Hate it :)
You either accurate or WOW :)

Tono-Balaguer

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 8:21 pm

I don’t think that the Apple environment as a color reference is inaccurate. I think it is hermetic to their devices. Apple colors out of the box use to be enough accurate to start working. The custom made PC since their components may vary use to need an almost mandatory calibration of the system. This doesn’t minds that one or other system is better or worse for video editing tasks.
I also think that glossy screens in low light rooms provide an extra punch to blacks and dark colors and provide a more contrasting feeling in spite of the specs contrast numbers.

But LG is a glossy screen and I wonder if can perform the same as a 27” 5k iMac. I am not asking here about the master performance screen. Just the same as an iMac and if possible not so expensive as the Apple Studio Display. If I could use my iMac screen as a monitor I wouldn’t be looking for a monitor for my Mac Studio

timothynevious

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 7:44 am

Choosing the right monitor for photography and video editing is a crucial decision, especially for professionals like you. It seems like you have specific requirements, including size, resolution, color accuracy, and budget considerations. Let's break down your concerns and provide an elaborate answer:

Resolution for Photography: A 2K monitor like the BenQ SW270C can be more comfortable for detailed photo editing at 100% zoom, compared to a 4K or 5K monitor.

Color Accuracy: If color accuracy is crucial, the BenQ monitor is preferable due to its better coverage of the Adobe RGB color space.

Resolution for Video Editing: For 4K video editing in DaVinci Resolve, a 4K monitor is beneficial, but a 32" screen, like the Dell U3223QE, can provide better visibility for details.

Size and Comfort: Working on a 32" monitor from 2.5 to 3 feet can be comfortable, but personal comfort preferences and desk setup play a significant role.

In your budget range of $800-900, consider the Dell U3223QE for a balance between size and resolution, especially if video editing is a significant part of your work. However, prioritize color accuracy if precise photo editing is your primary focus.

Tono-Balaguer

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 3:42 pm

timothynevious wrote:Choosing the right monitor for photography and video editing is a crucial decision, especially for professionals like you. It seems like you have specific requirements, including size, resolution, color accuracy, and budget considerations. Let's break down your concerns and provide an elaborate answer:

Resolution for Photography: A 2K monitor like the BenQ SW270C can be more comfortable for detailed photo editing at 100% zoom, compared to a 4K or 5K monitor.

Color Accuracy: If color accuracy is crucial, the BenQ monitor is preferable due to its better coverage of the Adobe RGB color space.

Resolution for Video Editing: For 4K video editing in DaVinci Resolve, a 4K monitor is beneficial, but a 32" screen, like the Dell U3223QE, can provide better visibility for details.

Size and Comfort: Working on a 32" monitor from 2.5 to 3 feet can be comfortable, but personal comfort preferences and desk setup play a significant role.

In your budget range of $800-900, consider the Dell U3223QE for a balance between size and resolution, especially if video editing is a significant part of your work. However, prioritize color accuracy if precise photo editing is your primary focus.

At the end of the story I got the LG 5k. And I felt a seamless transition between iMac and MacStudio. Is not the most beautiful frame out there but I feel comfortable with my selection.

Nerijus

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 6:39 pm

Want to revive this thread a bit.
I'm a bit torn apart with these two monitors:
Dell U3223QE and Asus PA329CRV

From what I've read throughout different forums, YT and other sources, there's always some different info and I can't choose either of these monitors.
One thing though, 32" size would be good (at first I thought getting 27", but 4k is better on 32" minus decrease in PPI).
But regards the color accuracy it's hard to choose from. Both are great, but asus might be better on that? Some sites says that dell is better. Other people are saying that dell has bad light leakage, on the other hand 2000:1 contrast ratio is amazing on this monitor.

My budget is ~800€. Price difference between these monitors are only 50€ (dell is cheaper).
Did anybody had any experience with these monitors? Perhaps I should get something different?

Return to Post Production