Color shift when rountripping

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

mattbatt

Color shift when rountripping

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:22 am

My first time grading with Resolve and John Brawley's DNG's. I opened in Resolve 9 Lite on Windows 7, 12 GB RAM, GTX Nvidia 470. The first image shows the grade. Then I rendered out to QuickTime uncompressed RGB 10 bits, took a screenshot in QuickTime player, looks brighter, harsher. Maybe that is to be expected going down to 10bits?

The problem came when I imported the QT 10bit RGB into Premiere Pro CS 5.5 to work on. As you can see in the third image, the color has shifted quite a bit now. My sequence setting is: Blackmagic uncompressed using codec uncompressed 10-bit RGB.

The fourth image is how it looks on Vimeo, rendered out to h.264. (Ignore the graded / ungraded titles, that was for my video). This mimics Premiere, so at least no further shifts are occurring.

So, as you can see, the color shift really occurred when importing the rendered QuickTime to Premiere, even though the file outside of Premiere looks correct. Thank you for your help!

Look at the image in http://wserver.flc.losrios.edu/~batterm/screenshots/problem.jpg:

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Color shift when rountripping

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:52 am

Sounds/looks like quicktime gamma shift. Google it and you will find a lot of info out there.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

mattbatt

Re: Color shift when rountripping

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 5:02 am

I know about GT gamma shift, but I thought that mainly shifted in GT player.

When I set my deliver render settings under "Set to video or data level" as "Normally scaled legal video" it renders more washed out. When I import into Premiere, it darkens it, but not as much. Still darker than the original footage.

Also, tried custom sequence settings.

Return to Post Production