Help!

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Filmobsession

Help!

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 7:03 pm

Hi,

Please can somebody point me in the right direction…

1. I own 27” IMac 5K & 13” MacBook Pro (both 2019 models).
2. I do professional Photo and Video
3. I recently bought a 4K Benq 27” SW271c & Colour Checker Display Plus.
4. BM Ultrastudio 3G

Please ‘Simply’ Educate me…

1. Is BM Ultrastudio 3G compatible with SW271c monitor?
2. Can I Grade using a FHD timeline and export UHD with my current setup?
3. Or, would it better for me to return the 4K monitor and get Benq SW270c (2K Version)?
4. If I do return the 4K Monitor, would it be right for me to believe I can Edit and grade in HD timeline and export timeline in 4K without much issues?

Thanks in advance

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Help!

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 11:22 pm

1. It should.
2. Yes, you can edit/grade etc. at HD and change resolution to UHD before final master check (eg. overlay size etc.) and delivery.
3. Not really- if anything is better than UHD. HD to UHD is "perfect scale" where going to 2.5K is not. You would rather need a monitor with HD panel for 1:1 pixel mapping.
4. If you want to create UHD masters you should have ability to see them at native resolution. In theory you could work just on HD monitor, but it's not ideal.

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 11:56 pm

Which one is your GPU?
You might be better off selling the whole shebang and get some Apple silicon.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Filmobsession

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 12:24 am

Thanks guys.

You’re both living legends on this site!

1. Andrew, your points are noted.
2. Uli, I’ve sent Info to the other post. Damn, sell the whole setup! I feel dizzy before bed.

New question

1. You guys are far more advanced and knowledgeable than me in this field, so I’d like to know how would you utilise my listed equipment.

Again, I appreciate your time and help.

John Waldmann

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 10:22 am

Does the BenQ have the ability to load a calibration Lut?
If not you will need to add an output calibration LUT in Resolve preferences, so that the ultrastudio 3G is fed a signal that results in a correctly calibrat4d image.

You will need to use DisplayCal (free), or Calman, Light Illusions calibration software to generate a calibration LUT, or if BenQ has native calibration software to tune any internal hardware calibration your monitor might have use that.

The Colour checker software is only good for calibrating the operating system graphics pipeline, not the direct clean feed to the ultrastudio 3g from Resolve. Your colourchecker plus hardware can be used with the software i mentionedmusing the inbuilt Resolve patch generator (Workspace menu).

A BMD bi-directional converter 12G can also hold a calibration LUT (as a lut lut box) but some folks have reported weird uncalibratible artifacts in yellows and greens. Mine spikes yellows badly, which is why I apply the calibration lut to my reference monitor pipeline within Resolve. This drove me crazy until i discovered others reporting similar behaviour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Post Production