Avid Media Composer with DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

johndesay

Avid Media Composer with DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 10:15 am

Hi guys,

Wondering has anyone had success in outputting a signal from Media Composer to the Mini Monitor?

I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers and even deleted and reinstalled the latest version of the
Desktop Video app AFTER MC was installed as some suggested with no luck.

I have the Mini Monitor card installed in a Sonnet Echo Express I/O box running a HDMI to an OLED client monitor.

Resolve and Premiere can see the signal no problem but MC just not seeing it.

The HW/SW Button doesn't even appear in my toolbar and when I go to Hardware tab in the about MC menu it is not listed.

Specs below:

Mac Pro 2013
OS Catalina 10.15.7
Avid Media Composer 22.10.0

Thanks in advance,

John

Steve Fishwick

Re: Avid Media Composer with DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 10:15 am

johndesay wrote:The HW/SW Button doesn't even appear in my toolbar and when I go to Hardware tab in the about MC menu it is not listed.

It should appear even if you don't have any hardware attached, since other 'hardware' options are available from it, such as NDI Tools.

I would try re-installing Avid MC itself. I'm on 2022.10, with DV 12.4.1, US 4K Mini without issues. I have just seen this though on the Avid forums:

On install, it removed the io plugin file from the avx2 folder, and didnt put one back.
It does put one in C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video\Avid Support
called - OpenIO_Blackmagic.acf
copying this file to C:\Program Files\Avid\AVX2_Plug-ins and restart avid and viola it appears.

Mine was missing too but it was still working. However it may help.

johndesay

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve.

On further inspection, the button is actually there, as I added it from the command palette but it is greyed out and says Toggle Client Monitor (Disabled).

I uninstalled BMD Video Desktop 12.4.1 as I seen some users on here saying that they removed application support and they had to roll back to 12.4. Tried this but still no luck.

I will do a reinstall of MC but my guess is that wont work either.

I will also contact Avid to see if they have a solution if the reinstall doesn't work.

Thanks again for the reply.

John

johndesay

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 2:55 pm

Finally solved it.
Uninstalled 22.10 and reverted back to 21.12.5 and can now toggle client monitor.

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 8:48 am

Thanks for reporting back, John. I'm going to do the same since 2022.10 is full of bugs in the interface too. But to be fair, I think in this instance the error is with BMD. 2.4.1., for some reason creates a new folder called Blackmagic Desktop Video, but the support files are in a folder that co-exists called simply, Desktop Video (as before). Avid can't find either the hook or hardware control panel. Rolling back to 2.4.0, solves the issue.

Return to Post Production