BM Micro Panel Repair - How long will it take?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ellory Yu

BM Micro Panel Repair - How long will it take?

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:22 am

My Micro Panel Shadow control knob just became unresponsive without rhyme or reason. So I got an RMA and send it to BlackMagic in the USA to be diagnosed and repair. It’s been over a week since they received it but I have not heard a peep from them. I called today and all they can tell me is that they have received the panel and it will be another 10-15 days before they will let me know. Is that typically how long it will take to check in and do diagnostic so they can get me a status. Since the hardware just failed itself, would it be even more cost effective for them to just replace the panel?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Marc Wielage

Re: BM Micro Panel Repair - How long will it take?

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 6:01 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Since the hardware just failed itself, would it be even more cost effective for them to just replace the panel?

Hard to say. I'm sure a lot depends on how many other BMD products are sitting on the shelf waiting to be evaluated.

I can tell you that because our business (and our livelihood) depends on being able to continue to crank out work no matter what, we have two backup panels and a backup system, "just in case" anything fails. We have an Advanced Panel, a Mini Panel, and a Tangent Wave2. I've never had to use the latter 2, but... it's always possible something could fail.

You might ask around in your area and see if anybody has a panel sitting around that they'd be willing to rent you for a week or two, and that would at least keep you running while your Micro is being repaired. I've had a couple of different LA colorists (thank you again @Walter Volpatto and also @Jason Bowdach) who helped me out when I was in that situation, just to get by for a couple of weeks when a panel broke or when we had a situation with two jobs happening in two different places.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ellory Yu

Re: BM Micro Panel Repair - How long will it take?

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:56 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:Since the hardware just failed itself, would it be even more cost effective for them to just replace the panel?

Hard to say. I'm sure a lot depends on how many other BMD products are sitting on the shelf waiting to be evaluated.

I can tell you that because our business (and our livelihood) depends on being able to continue to crank out work no matter what, we have two backup panels and a backup system, "just in case" anything fails. We have an Advanced Panel, a Mini Panel, and a Tangent Wave2. I've never had to use the latter 2, but... it's always possible something could fail.

You might ask around in your area and see if anybody has a panel sitting around that they'd be willing to rent you for a week or two, and that would at least keep you running while your Micro is being repaired. I've had a couple of different LA colorists (thank you again @Walter Volpatto and also @Jason Bowdach) who helped me out when I was in that situation, just to get by for a couple of weeks when a panel broke or when we had a situation with two jobs happening in two different places.

Thank you Marc. I will check around with a couple of folks I know locally. I hope I will hear from them soon too.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production