Resolve wont output slow motion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Smith

Resolve wont output slow motion

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 4:04 pm

I've been hearing great things about this Optical Flow that's in resolve 10, and decided to try it out on my latest project.

I followed all the advice I could find on this forum about how to do it properly. I only slowed the clip down by 50%, and I managed to get it to look really nice when I played it back in resolve.

But then when it came to render and export, the file it generated was playing back at a normal speed. I've tried fiddling with every setting I can find, but nothing is making the outputted file any different.

Does anybody know what I might be doing wrong?

Nick Michael

Re: Resolve wont output slow motion

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 6:02 pm

What were your export settings? I believe that if the settings are such that Resolve thinks you are doing a round-trip back to an NLE, there are certain things, including speed changes, that don't get "baked in." Clips that come into Resolve with a speed change from the NLE, for example, get rendered at normal speed and then have the NLE's speed change re-applied when the new media and XML is opened in the NLE. It sounds like it's a variation of that taking place. I'd try making sure to select "Single Clip" in the export settings, because that indicates you're exporting your final copy and therefore tells Resolve to bake in things such as speed changes. Hope this helps.

bhdfield

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 5:37 pm

I am having exactly the same problem. I imported an AAF from Avid, all speed changes show up in the timeline on the clips information. Then, no matter what I do, what settings I change or select, they refuse to render at the speeds indicated in the clip settings. They simply render out at the speed of the timeline, 23.976.

On previous versions, I had no issue with this. And why on earth would Resolve not allow a a speed change to be rendered for a round trip? I don't want to do two renders on a piece of media (the second being in the NLE). Isn't that the point of Resolve being able to do a speed effect in the first place?

Is this a bug? Yes, i have read the manual. Thanks.

Frank Glencairn

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 1:04 am

Works just fine with Premiere (XML) - Avid seems to be a problem again.

Actually it is beyond me, why somebody outside of a broadcaster still wants to use Avid.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

bhdfield

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 1:10 am

Since the AAF imports without issue from Avid, with effects and also speed changes import without issue (meaning they show up on the timeline and are represented), I don't think this has anything to do with the NLE. I would suspect user error or some obscure Resolve setting or qualification upon project setup a higher probability. And as I said before, it has worked in older versions of resolve when imported speed effects showed up, and properly rendered. Since another user posted the same issue, there may be an in common user error or other issue. No idea what that is at the moment.

Frank Glencairn

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 1:17 am

Using AMA will limit your options when exporting. If you want to export an AAF you will need to transcode to DNxHD
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

bhdfield

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:Using AMA will limit your options when exporting. If you want to export an AAF you will need to transcode to DNxHD

What limits? Previous versions of Resolve gave no issues with AMA raw Red clips with speed changes. As I said in two previous posts, I have in the past had no issues with renders of AAF referenced Avid timelines and Red media. I render with 16-bit computation and achieve very high quality results grading raw Red referenced via AAF of AMA media.

Indeed, this is the only issue. And it's new.

And I really have no idea what's causing it, either. As mentioned, speed changes are visible and imported cleanly into Resolve. It's just not rendering them.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 1:42 am

bhdfield wrote:I am having exactly the same problem. I imported an AAF from Avid, all speed changes show up in the timeline on the clips information. Then, no matter what I do, what settings I change or select, they refuse to render at the speeds indicated in the clip settings. They simply render out at the speed of the timeline, 23.976.

On previous versions, I had no issue with this. And why on earth would Resolve not allow a a speed change to be rendered for a round trip? I don't want to do two renders on a piece of media (the second being in the NLE). Isn't that the point of Resolve being able to do a speed effect in the first place?

Is this a bug? Yes, i have read the manual. Thanks.

When you are doing a source mode render (Render Individual Clip), the files are rendered 1:1 at the original frame-rate with no edit effects applied including any transitions and speed changes. Your NLE where you are round-tripping this to will render the speed change.

If you want to bake in the speed change, you will need to render in target mode, and you will get a finished clip from Resolve.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

bhdfield

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 am

[/quote]

When you are doing a source mode render (Render Individual Clip), the files are rendered 1:1 at the original frame-rate with no edit effects applied including any transitions and speed changes. Your NLE where you are round-tripping this to will render the speed change.

If you want to bake in the speed change, you will need to render in target mode, and you will get a finished clip from Resolve.[/quote]

Thanks for you reply. Do I understand you to mean that in order to have the speed changes rendered in Resolve, and not my NLE, I will be required to render the 22:30 timeline as one enormous clip? Is it not possible to render individual clips and still have speed changes apply?

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 2:03 am

bhdfield wrote:Thanks for you reply. Do I understand you to mean that in order to have the speed changes rendered in Resolve, and not my NLE, I will be required to render the 22:30 timeline as one enormous clip? Is it not possible to render individual clips and still have speed changes apply?

You course you can render a single clip, choose to render in target mode/single clip mode, right click on the clip on the timeline to choose render this clip, and render.

The clip will render with timeline timecode, so you will need to edit it back into your timeline in the NLE.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

bhdfield

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 2:11 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
bhdfield wrote:Thanks for you reply. Do I understand you to mean that in order to have the speed changes rendered in Resolve, and not my NLE, I will be required to render the 22:30 timeline as one enormous clip? Is it not possible to render individual clips and still have speed changes apply?

You course you can render a single clip, choose to render in target mode/single clip mode, right click on the clip on the timeline to choose render this clip, and render.

The clip will render with timeline timecode, so you will need to edit it back into your timeline in the NLE.

Thank you Rohit. Forgive me if I seem a bit dense, but yes, I know I can select individual clips and render them one at a time. But I have a 22-minute timeline with probably 20 or 30 speed-changed clips. I also have numerous rescaled (from Avid) clips which most certainly DO get rendered with the round-trip. Once back in Avid, I quickly remove all scaling effects from the Resolve graded clips, thus requiring no additional renders, and a reference export for maximum speed and quality in output. Why does Resolve now prohibit speed changes from a mass render of individual clips, yet still render the imported resizing? I simply want to render individual clips, en mass, with the speed changes present on the timeline.

Radman

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 11:55 am

Please,

Avid have done more for the history of film making than most here.
Be kind.

Radman.

Philipp

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 8:30 am

I also would lobby for an option to bake in speed effects with round tripping. Let me make my case:

If you apply an extreme speed effect (i.e. 1000%) to a 1 minute portion of a 10 minute source clip in Premiere then bring this timeline into Resolve the speed effect will carry over perfectly. Its frame accurate since the speed effect is applied to the same 1 minute portion which is still part of the 10 minute source clip.

However, if you now round trip this clip back out of resolve, Premiere will now apply the 1000% speed effect to only the 1 minute exported portion (the part that's actually used) which will not be frame accurate with 1000% applied to the 1 minute portion of a 10 minute clip. So once the clip arrives back in premiere it is no longer frame accurate with the offline edit.

I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself very well here but the bottom line is that when you apply an extreme speed effect to a shorter clip it doesn't result in the same effect than applying that speed effect to a longer clip.

That's why I would like to see an option for Resolve to bake in speed effects to clips even when round tripping. This has been a nightmare for me on many projects so far.

If this doesn't make sense please let me know and I'll try to demonstrate with an example.

Thanks,

Philipp

Oscar Romero

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Using AMA will limit your options when exporting. If you want to export an AAF you will need to transcode to DNxHD

This is not true...

Peter Barrett

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 am

I've had a similar, disappointing experience with Resolve 10's Optical Flow. Despite carefully ensuring that OF was the default, and checking individual clips to make sure the Project Settings apply, and even explicitly setting OF on a clip by clip basis, the results were poor. A simple 50% interpolation was juddery and I went back to Motion which did a fine job, and replaced the clips in the Edit. Likewise Motion Blur seems less than fully formed.

I hope this gets better, because I solemnly thought I'd left Motion behind. It's embarrassing when a client's FCP 7 project looks better with 37.2% Fit-To-Fill slomos than the grade does...
Peter Barrett

JCFP 3000

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 9:06 pm

April 2020... the issue returns! My experience goes like this: I edited a video with footage shot in 24fps, 29.97, and 59.98fps, and slowed various clips down. Exported the video, and later a stringout, with no problems other than color matching - which I resolved by applying Color Space and Gamma Tags. Went to export the clips out again - just clips this time, and all my speed changes wouldn't carry over to the exported files.

Surfed the forums! Looked through all the settings, tried a number of options, all no-gos. Found this 2014 thread, and then tried exporting a single clip rendered as Single Clip instead of Individual Clips, and voila, my new file shows the correct timing.

I'm left with the unsettling feeling, though, that this CAN'T be the solution - exporting my 60 clips one by one can't be the way Resolve is supposed to work in 2020, so I'm wondering, is there a setting somewhere that I can check to make the Individual Clips render like the Single Clip option? That is the ONLY thing I changed between my two tests.

Would love to hear insight from any/all, thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 am

The single clip export mode is designed for dailies and export of graded source files for an external editing/ finishing process.
If you want Resolves speed processing, why not finish there?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

amynfarooqui

PostTue May 19, 2020 3:57 pm

hi

I was looking for a solution to all the conversion, watermarking clips and finally I have come with this solution. Adobe Media Encoder.

Edit, sort, grade, stabilize all in resolve and finally watermark in Media Encoder. Works for me.

gumpcpy

PostMon May 25, 2020 1:44 pm

You can use python script to solve this problem.
The idea is to render 'single clip' (which will take retime into effect) and then choose every single clips in timeline and put them into render queue.

Some script for example,
Code: Select all
"""
renderTimeline = "Timeline1"  #Timeline name you want to render
renderPresetName = "RenderIndividualClipInTimeline"   #Set your own preset name
renderPath = "/Users/gump/Desktop/RenderClips"   #Set your own render path

'''
project.SetCurrentTimeline(timeline)
   project.LoadRenderPreset(presetName)
   timeline = project.GetCurrentTimeline()

timelineVideoTrackCount = timeline.GetTrackCount("video")

for i in range(int(timelineVideoTrackCount)):
      clips = timeline.GetItemsInTrack("video", i + 1)
      for clipIdx in clips:
         print(clips[clipIdx].GetName() + " In:" + str(clips[clipIdx].GetStart()) + " Out:" + str(clips[clipIdx].GetEnd()) )                  
         project.SetRenderSettings({"MarkIn" : int(clips[clipIdx].GetStart()), "MarkOut" : int(clips[clipIdx].GetEnd()), "TargetDir" : targetDirectory, "CustomName" : clips[clipIdx].GetName()})
         project.AddRenderJob()               
   print("Render Queue Added, Start Rendering...")
   if not project.SetCurrentRenderFormatAndCodec(renderFormat, renderCodec):
      return False
   return project.StartRendering()

That's my solution for now, hope it helps.

Alex Potemkin

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 10:28 pm

The simplest option to preserve retiming is to make a compound clips for retained clips, now, they will be rendered as intended via individual clips.

But here is another question.

Which correction scans effects will be lost when the "individual clips" option is selected?
- Retiming for sure.
But what else?

Lense corrections? Noise reduction? Some OFX effects (which ones? Internals? Externals?)

Is anybody knows?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
Alex Potemkin
http://yourphoto.nyc
http://yourphoto.biz
http://getty.yourphoto.biz
http://istock.yourphoto.biz
http://alexpotemkin.com

Glenn Sakatch

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 7:53 pm

gumpcpy wrote:You can use python script to solve this problem.
The idea is to render 'single clip' (which will take retime into effect) and then choose every single clips in timeline and put them into render queue.

Some script for example,
Code: Select all
"""
renderTimeline = "Timeline1"  #Timeline name you want to render
renderPresetName = "RenderIndividualClipInTimeline"   #Set your own preset name
renderPath = "/Users/gump/Desktop/RenderClips"   #Set your own render path

'''
project.SetCurrentTimeline(timeline)
   project.LoadRenderPreset(presetName)
   timeline = project.GetCurrentTimeline()

timelineVideoTrackCount = timeline.GetTrackCount("video")

for i in range(int(timelineVideoTrackCount)):
      clips = timeline.GetItemsInTrack("video", i + 1)
      for clipIdx in clips:
         print(clips[clipIdx].GetName() + " In:" + str(clips[clipIdx].GetStart()) + " Out:" + str(clips[clipIdx].GetEnd()) )                  
         project.SetRenderSettings({"MarkIn" : int(clips[clipIdx].GetStart()), "MarkOut" : int(clips[clipIdx].GetEnd()), "TargetDir" : targetDirectory, "CustomName" : clips[clipIdx].GetName()})
         project.AddRenderJob()               
   print("Render Queue Added, Start Rendering...")
   if not project.SetCurrentRenderFormatAndCodec(renderFormat, renderCodec):
      return False
   return project.StartRendering()

That's my solution for now, hope it helps.

Just to clarify Gumpy, are saying this script will take a timeline set to single file mode, and automatically add say 200 individual renders to the queue, based on source name?

bmasar

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 10:17 pm

Alex Potemkin wrote:The simplest option to preserve retiming is to make a compound clips for retained clips, now, they will be rendered as intended via individual clips.

That's the one

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

JCFP 3000

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 4:27 pm

Still amazed at the narrowminded solutions available here. Does no one else shoot a variety of framerates, then, for client review (before editing and finishing), need to post slowed-down versions of many clips? I understand how the workflow developed, for editors, colorists and such working on large-scale projects, but for operators like me, who shoot directly for clients, the export-one-slowed-down-clip-at-a-time is really aggravating.

BTW - to an earlier response, I'm finishing in DVR. I just want an option to batch create a stringout of clips that shows slo mo as slo mo.

Return to DaVinci Resolve