iMac ->SDI -> Projector

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

kclements

iMac ->SDI -> Projector

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 12:54 pm

Hello -
I did a search here and see the latest is from 2014 and it doesn't seemed to be resolved. I am trying to get my iMac (M1) from my production room to display to a projector in our social hall. I have signal coming from our Sanctuary via BM Hyperdeck SDI line going into a switcher (3 SDI in, 1 SDI out). That works perfectly.

I hook up my iMac to a OWC dock (TB) ->display port to HDMI cable out, into BM Mini HDMI converter to SDI into the same switcher. The iMac see's the BM box and extends the screen (so I can move my windows and mouse off the main screen.) I can arranges the displays in settings and mirror the iMac. So clearly, the iMac knows there is another "monitor"

But, I can not get the image to go to the projector. I have tried removing the switcher and going directly into the SDi feed to the room - no luck. I tried setting the iMac to the same resolution as the BM converter. nope.

Is it a resolution problem? My mini converter is 3G - do I need 12G converter? I know the SDI feed into the projector is good because it is the same line we use from the Sanctuary.

Any help/suggestions?
Thanks
Kayle

mpetech

Re: iMac ->SDI -> Projector

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 4:53 pm

First, make sure the output resolution is set to 1080p. Your project may not support anything higher than that resolution.

kclements

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 10:34 pm

Thanks - I am almost positive on my last test, I did set the resolution to 1080 - but I will double check this week and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers
kc

Howard Roll

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 5:15 am

I had a similar issue with a TB Glyph dock. It was solved using an “active” DP to HDMI adapter.

Good Luck

kclements

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 5:51 pm

Howard Roll wrote:I had a similar issue with a TB Glyph dock. It was solved using an “active” DP to HDMI adapter.

Good Luck

Interesting. Any suggestions/recommendations for which active adapter to purchase?
Thanks
Kayle

Return to Post Production