Lag sound/image

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

hulahup

Lag sound/image

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 5:34 pm

Hello,

I have a Decklink mini monitor 4K card, connected to a Mac studio via a SONNET pcie extension box.
The card is recognized, no problem. But i keep having a lag between the image and the sound of the video file. Sound is coming almost 1/2 second bbefore the image.
I don't have that delay when playing the video in my app (protools or Premiere pro).
Would you have a solution for this issue ?

Thanks a lot,

Manu

John Paines

Re: Lag sound/image

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 8:29 pm

There's a preference for adding an audio ms delay to decklink output, I can't remember where exactly, user or system preferences (but not project preferences). So try to determine the exact frame delay with a test pattern, and set accordingly.

EDIT: Okay, I see now you're not using Resolve. Barring an audio delay feature in those other apps, there's are VST plugins for audio delays, at least one of them free. I used it successfully until Resolve added the delay feature, but unfortunately can't recall the name. Just be sure to remove it when you export material.

The other low-rent solution is a receiver with HDMI input (if that's what you're using out of Decklink), which allows for adjustable audio delay for output. Most consumer receivers have this feature.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 6:03 am

hulahup wrote:I have a Decklink mini monitor 4K card, connected to a Mac studio via a SONNET pcie extension box. The card is recognized, no problem. But i keep having a lag between the image and the sound of the video file. Sound is coming almost 1/2 second before the image.

Assuming you're playing back in Resolve, go into Project Settings -> Capture & Playback, and check Playout -> Offset Audio by:

This used to be in milliseconds, but now it's in video frames. Figure out how many video frames the audio is being delayed -- half a second would be a lot, at least 10-12 frames -- and tweak it until the sync looks correct.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

chrismrash

PostTue Oct 03, 2023 6:11 pm

Hi Marc, I tried that offset in the Playout section, but it didn't appear to have any effect. I set it to 24 frames and the delay is unchanged. Is it possible that only has an effect when going out to tape?

Return to DaVinci Resolve