Daily use monitor thoughts - Eizo

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jimjones

Daily use monitor thoughts - Eizo

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 4:49 pm

Hello friends,

I'm getting more into video with Resolve and I have a general desktop workflow question to see what other people are doing. I have an Eizo CG319x that I picked up about 5 months ago. Because it is such a great monitor it basically took the place of the 2 monitor setup I had running before (I have a little reference monitor I keep on the side).

I believe Eizo warranties these for 10,000 hours of no color shift and then 30,000 hours of general hardware. But, since I'm using it as my everyday monitor I find that I am using a lot of hours every month.

Are people using these (which are pricy for a daily monitor) as an everyday computer monitor or are more people putting it to the side for just color and editing use and using something a bit less expensive for daily non-color sensitive tasks?

I'm a small shop and a monitor of this calibre is expensive. Burning through the hours on non-color sensitive tasks feels a bit wasteful.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Uli Plank

Re: Daily use monitor thoughts - Eizo

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 1:59 am

Well, we calibrate every 3 months and found every monitor to shift over time.
But if you are concerned, why not get another cheap monitor for your GUI? Sometimes it can be very helpful to have two, like for long timelines or heaps of bins to be organised.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jack Fairley

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 4:13 am

I agree with Uli's suggestion to add a second monitor (or two) for general use, and reserve your nice display for your color work.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

jimjones

PostTue Feb 14, 2023 3:00 am

I dragged out a trusty old SRGB monitor and I'm working on it now. Future me thanks you for not needlessly needing to buy another Eizo too soon.

Return to Post Production