Cloud Pod disconnects and freezes...

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dodgee

Cloud Pod disconnects and freezes...

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 9:28 pm

Our Cloud Pod setup (2 Mac Studios, 1 10gb ethernet switch, Cloud Pod, and G-Raid Shuttle SSD HFS+) has been crashing on us all day. Whether on load or idle, we're getting random disconnects and the cloud pod freezes. The only thing to bring the cloud pod back is power cycling it. It won't even show up on the Cloud Store Setup app.

The incredibly slow USB 3.0 speed was something we could look beyond but the disconnects have been absolutely maddening. It's not ready for serious use as is.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I get a bad unit?

jumpingwill

Re: Cloud Pod disconnects and freezes...

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 5:40 am

We have been experiencing the same thing this past week. And it's getting worse.

zhangyong

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 8:45 am

We too !We too !We too !

ekelokorpi

PostMon May 08, 2023 12:40 pm

Same here. Have been using Cloud Pod with two Mac Pro's for two days and crashed on both days. Suddenly just lose connection to Cloud Pod and only thing that helps is to reboot it (unplug and plug power).

Any solutions Blackmagic?

Ben Hilton

PostFri May 19, 2023 10:29 pm

same here! the cloud pod was initially incredible but has become unusable for us now... such a shame

klausvz

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 9:39 pm

I'm using the Cloud Store Mini and I'm having the same issues. Random disconnects.

Have any of you run network diagnostics? I come up with zero error codes.

mpetersen

PostThu Jul 06, 2023 3:47 pm

Same issue here with my Cloud Pod. I lose access in File Explorer even though Cloud Store Setup stays connected and I can see my Dropbox syncs working. Power cycling always fixes it temporarily.

Roen Davis

PostTue Jul 11, 2023 11:44 am

I have the same experience. Frustrating.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

b0ernie

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 12:25 pm

Hi Guys, similar behavior. It worked flawless for a month and now it started to vanish. I kindly ask for diagnosis tools to get this solid!
Thanks and kind regards

atimk47

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 8:45 pm

just posting as me too. unplugging seems to work. it is anoying to do so

Mathieu Marano

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 2:08 pm

Let me add my voice to yours. I just got a new Cloud Pod. Connected it to my 10G network. I attached a Sandisk G-RAID MIRROR 44tb to it for data wrangling. I mainly access it through my Mac Studio. It randomly disconnects.
I have 5 servers on this network (JelyFish, QNAP and Synology). All are mounted on the Mac Studio and they behave very well.

Any news on the BMD front on this matter?
Mathieu Marano
www.cineground.com

#1: MacPro 3,5GHz 8-core, 32GB RAM, 2x D700 6GB, Ultrastudio 4K
#2: P900, 2x 3.1GHz 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2 x GTX 1080Ti, Decklink 4K 12G
#3: P500, 2x 2.6GHz 6-core, 64GB RAM, 2x Quadro 5200, W10, Decklink HD Extreme 3

adubbs79

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 2:30 am

New user of Cloud Pod and I've been experiencing the same issue. I have three systems all Macs connected and it seems like every three hours it disconnects or only allows access to one of the two drives. The fix was to recycle power but when we're in the middle of an edit or moving files that's unacceptable. Does Blackmagic have a solution or recommendation on how to avoid this issue.

Does anyone think it has to do with overheating? I ask because the unit does get very warm and almost hot.

Thanks for the help.

tylerbianco

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 8:11 pm

Same here. I have multiple servers on our network, but the Cloud Store Mini keeps crashing with no indication as to why. Reboot temporarily fixes the symptom, but I still have no clue why I need to go hard reboot every couple of days it seems. Cloud Store Setup also cannot find the drive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adding to hopefully get a response from BMD.
Tyler John Bianco :: Studio Manager :: Sandals Church | Riverside, CA, USA

Roen Davis

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 9:27 pm

Are you using static IP address?
I think that helped.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

rogersuski

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 pm

I just migrated from in iMac Pro that was connecting to a Cloud Store Mini via a TB/10Gb adaptor. I edited an entire series in FCPX using this method. I migrated to a MacStudio M1 and am getting slow performance in FCPX and random errors saying the drive isn't found. Connecting the MacStudio to the adaptor seems to happen less frequently, but still there. Also, my flawless setup was under OS 13.x

SO, same boat here, but too many variables to nail down root cause. Just want it to work

AriGolan

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 10:10 pm

Same problem here. 80TB Cloud Store, and 120TB G-Tech G-Rack NAS connected to (2) Mac Studio Ultras, (2) high end PCs and a Trash Can, all home runs back to a Netgear 10GbE switch with static IPs.

We have switched cables, even replaced the Netgear switch. It happens on All the Macs (not) on the PCs. Wondering if its the AFP...

Sometimes the Cloud Store unmounts by itself, sometimes it takes the NAS down too. But generally doesn't require and power cycling, "just" re-mounting the drives...
Ari Golan
Atomic Imaging, Inc./Golan Studios
1501 N. Magnolia Avenue
Chicago, IL 60642 USA
(312) 649-1800 x5701
ari@atomicimaging.com

MacPro Tower 5,1 High Sierra
64GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X

MacPro Trash Can 6,1 High Sierra
32GB RAM
Dual D700s

alexdarko

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 10:00 am

I purchased the cloud over a year ago to use it with two RAID systems (with Mac Studio). Right from the start, it had these issues, and from one update onwards, I can't recall which, it would constantly disconnect... completely unusable. I put it up for sale, but no one bought it. Then came the 1.8 update, and out of curiosity, I decided to give it another go, and magically, now it works quite well... but not perfectly: every now and then, randomly, it freezes and disconnects the raids. The only way to restore the connection is to turn it off and on again. Nonetheless, it's like a different world compared to before, and indeed, I removed the listing from eBay and started using it again, hoping for a future update that will permanently fix everything, and also hoping that they will make it compatible with APFS systems. It's unbelievable that it isn't already! PS: I'm glad I'm not the only one on Earth experiencing this problem :P

Return to Post Production