Ultrastudion 4K Mini stopped working

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jodv123

Ultrastudion 4K Mini stopped working

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 12:51 pm

**UPDATE**
I connected my old Ultrastudio Monitor 3G using the same cables and that works as expected, so most likely the power supply to 4K Mini is the problem.
It's not ideal using the 3G (since it's only HD and I upgraded for a reason) but at least it's working and I can have a clean signal so I can keep on working for now.

Support ticket have been sent to the support team about the 4K Mini, so I guess I just have to wait and see what they say.
---------

Hi guys,
I'm having problems with my Ultrastudio 4K Mini not working on my Intel Mac Pro OS Monterey 12.6.3.

It was working just fine on Friday, but today it's just black (not turning on) and neither Resolve or Desktop Video Setup recognize it.

Usually I just open Resolve and it turns on (or is it always on?) but now nothing. I have removed all cables (power, Thunderbolt, HDMI) from both the Ultrastudion and the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop Video Setup and given all permissions needed to Desktop Video Setup and rebooted everything multiple times.

When that didn't work I followed a video that guided me trough "Recovery mode" and then deleting a file called BlackmagicIO.kext before reinstalling Desktop Video Setup (v12.4.2) and give permissions again.

Still nothing :(

"No Desktop Video Device Detected. Please check that your product is connected via Thunderbolt, USB3 or PCIe and is powered on."

Any tips?
Last edited by Jodv123 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Evans

Re: Ultrastudion 4K Mini stopped working

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 10:57 pm

It must have Thunderbolt cable plugged in (it only works when connected to software capable of controlling it, otherwise the panel has no point).
Try a different HDMI and/or SDI cable. Try different Thunderbolt (must be Thunderbolt with lightning bolt or TB3 or TB4 on it).
Have you considered the power supply may have died?

Jodv123

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:13 am

Jonathan Evans wrote:It must have Thunderbolt cable plugged in (it only works when connected to software capable of controlling it, otherwise the panel has no point).
Try a different HDMI and/or SDI cable. Try different Thunderbolt (must be Thunderbolt with lightning bolt or TB3 or TB4 on it).
Have you considered the power supply may have died?

It's a pretty new piece of hardware, I've had it for maybe three weeks, and all new cables that came with the device (and/or where ordered at the same time) and everything have been working flawless up until now. So it feels strange that the cables should have died. But the power supply might be the problem.

Username

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 12:37 am

Hej där David.

Do macOS detect and display it in the System Information view under Thunderbolt devices?
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Jodv123

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 4:13 pm

Username wrote:Hej där David.

Do macOS detect and display it in the System Information view under Thunderbolt devices?

Tjena Petter!

No, I don't see it there.
I don't see the UltraStudio 3G either, but that one does work (and show up in Desktop Video Setup).

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 1:49 am

I would be very surprised if it doesn't show up in the system report, but is seen by DR.
Did you check here?
Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-23 um 08.50.56.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-23 um 08.50.56.png (145.57 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jodv123

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 7:17 am

Yesterday I just unplugged the cables from the 4K Mini and switched to the 3G, and when I checked the System report the 3G didn't show. But today it shows, so it probably just took a few minutes to update the list.

Return to Post Production