Cloud Store - my opinion March 2023

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Bob Zelin

Cloud Store - my opinion March 2023

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 6:31 pm

Hi -
I had an opportunity to check out a full Blackmagic Cloud Store today, at a facility, where we have a QNAP NAS and a OWC Jellyfish. The Cloud Store simply plugged into the Netgear 10G switch, and using the Blackmagic Software Utility, we were able to find the unit quickly. We set a static IP address for the Cloud Store, mounted it, and did some speed tests with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, and speeds were close to 1100 MB/sec.

The installation is easy - a little bit too easy. I was told in April 2022, when I first saw this at NAB in Las Vegas, that this was a preliminary software release, but it appears that little has changed. There is no way to have a security log in, the ability to create shared folders or individual users. It just mounts onto your desktop. I cannot help but think that once a product like this is connected to the internet, to allow for syncing to Dropbox or Google Drive, so that a Cloud Pod can download it's proxy files, that this leaves this product wide open for Ransomware attackers, since there is no security. There is no log system, so if someone accidentally deletes something, you can't tell who did it. Over the ethernet network, there is no email notifications, nor is there the ability to see if one of the NVMe drives has failed. It appears that as of March 2023, we still must have a HDMI monitor on the Cloud Store, to see any errors. Perhaps this will change at NAB 2023. I fully understand that Blackmagic wants users to use Blackmagic Cloud (Beta) for remote PostgreSQL databases, but I am a little surprised that the full Cloud Store can't host Project Server, and for a local facility, the best way is still to have a dedicated Mac (like a Mac Mini) to run Project Server for Collaboration (unless you are using Blackmagic Cloud (Beta).

There is no question, that the installation process is easy - I think it might be a little too easy, if you expose it to the internet, or if you have users that are not fully qualified, and you risk losing your data.

Bob
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Return to Post Production