Connecting 2 Displays to DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Gianis Kalaitzidis

Connecting 2 Displays to DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k

PostWed May 03, 2023 11:04 am

Hello!

I have a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and a Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 12G (i only bought it as a LUT box since my monitor doesn't support 3D LUTs)

From the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, i would like to feed 2 displays, my grading monitor and LG C2 OLED.

An inexpensive solution it might be an HDMI SPLITTER like those OREI, but i wasn't able to find them (or any similar) at Europe.

OREI BK-22
[url]https://www.orei.com/products/2x2-hdmi-splitter-2-in-2-out-ultrahd-4k-edid-bk-22
[/url]
OREI BK-102A
[url]https://www.orei.com/products/1x2-hdmi-splitter-w-audio-out-1-in-2-out-ultrahd-8k-edid-bk-102a
[/url]OREI BK-202A Matrix
[url]https://www.orei.com/products/2x2-hdmi-matrix-w-audio-out-2-in-2-out-ultrahd-8k-edid-bk-202a
[/url]
What other inexpensive options are available?

[url]https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/microconverters/techspecs/W-CONU-18
[/url]
Is the Micro Converter SDI to HDMI 12G a good idea to connect it to the SDI OUT of the DeckLink and feed the signal from there to my LG OLED?

DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K SDI > Micro Converter SDI to HDMI 12G > HDMI of LG C2 OLED

DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K HDMI > Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 12G (as a LUT BOX) > HDMI of Grading Monitor

Gianis Kalaitzidis

Re: Connecting 2 Displays to DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k

PostSat May 06, 2023 2:30 am

1) Since that i read that the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k will output the signal to both SDI and HDMI simultaneously, will the below connection work without introducing any problems to the signal or cause the DeckLink to overheat?

SDI connection
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k SDI out >>> SDI in BiDirectional SDI/HDMI out 12G >>> HDMI in GRADING MONITOR

HDMI connection
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k HDMI out >>> HDMI in CLIENT TV

2) Another option is an HDMI splitter after the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k and split the HDMI signal to the Grading Monitor and the Client TV. Is inexpensive splitters reliable enough, to not change the signal and cause problems?

3) Do i need to take into account, to not exceed the 5m with the HDMI 2.1 or the BiDirectional SDI/HDMI or any HDMI spitter, will act as extenders/repeaters?

patchsmith

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 3:56 am

HI, how far to you get with this?
I have a kind of similar setup and learned a few things whilst putting it together, the main help and advice coming from Ted at display calibrations who has been a diamond in getting us ship-shape. First off, BM decklink mini monitor 4K outputs 12G HDMI but only 6G SDI meaning that the SDI out of decklink is 1080p 60 RGB 10-bit and not 2160p30 10-bit RGB - if you want that signal or resolution. I use 2 bidirectional converters, much cheaper than a high spec hdmi splitter and on the whole more useful down the line.
Let's call the converters Converter 1 and Converter 2 and the monitors Monitor 1 and Monitor 2: If you connect the HDMI from decklink to Converter 1, use that converter's HDMI out for Monitor 1, then take the SDI output (use a 12g cable) from Converter 1 into the SDI in of Converter 2 (SDI to SDI) then take that HMDI out of Converter 2 for Monitor 2. Works a charm and you get 2160p30 10-bit RGB into both monitors, makes sure to use ultra high speed HDMI cables. It's actually a compact setup, sounds more complicated that it is.
Good luck.

Gianis Kalaitzidis

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 12:31 am

patchsmith wrote:HI, how far to you get with this?
I have a kind of similar setup and learned a few things whilst putting it together, the main help and advice coming from Ted at display calibrations who has been a diamond in getting us ship-shape. First off, BM decklink mini monitor 4K outputs 12G HDMI but only 6G SDI meaning that the SDI out of decklink is 1080p 60 RGB 10-bit and not 2160p30 10-bit RGB - if you want that signal or resolution. I use 2 bidirectional converters, much cheaper than a high spec hdmi splitter and on the whole more useful down the line.
Let's call the converters Converter 1 and Converter 2 and the monitors Monitor 1 and Monitor 2: If you connect the HDMI from decklink to Converter 1, use that converter's HDMI out for Monitor 1, then take the SDI output (use a 12g cable) from Converter 1 into the SDI in of Converter 2 (SDI to SDI) then take that HMDI out of Converter 2 for Monitor 2. Works a charm and you get 2160p30 10-bit RGB into both monitors, makes sure to use ultra high speed HDMI cables. It's actually a compact setup, sounds more complicated that it is.
Good luck.

thanks for the info.

I think the solution with one HDMI splitter (1 in 3 out) is the most convenient since that from the one HDMI output of Deckling mini monitor 4K we can connect a grading monitor, a client monitor and also monitoring the scopes.

I know about the awesome products from HD fury but i think we can get away with cheaper hdmi splitter.
maybe something like this https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B0B45GT965/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A2AWY2T8U4K6PV&psc=1

i didnt try it yet, but i tried the following (1 in 2 out) and works fine, on my LG i get RGB 12b TM (VRR info) with "Use 4:4:4 SDI" under Video monitoring at Davinci>Settings>Master Settings

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07XCZC6SP/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ImageImage

Return to Post Production