4K monitor recommendations / Colour Grading / $1500 budget!

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

orbitrob

4K monitor recommendations / Colour Grading / $1500 budget!

PostThu May 04, 2023 12:22 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for recommendations for a 4K monitor for colour grading. I'm on a PC, with a budget of up to $1500. Feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options from BenQ, Viewsonic, LG etc!

I'm also wondering if i need an external calibration tool? Part of the marketing from BenQ, is that some of their monitors are guaranteed accurate because of colour-calibration done at the factory!...but i find that hard to believe.

Any thoughts, or recommendations of monitors you own (and really like) in my price range are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert
DR Studio 16.1.2.026, Win10Home 64bit - i9-9900K@3.6GHz, 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 16GB, "Studio" driver 26.21.14.4219
OS, Library: 1TB SSD - Project: 1TB SSD - Cache: 1TB NVMe

mpetech

Re: 4K monitor recommendations / Colour Grading / $1500 budg

PostThu May 04, 2023 2:00 pm

orbitrob wrote:Hi there,

I'm looking for recommendations for a 4K monitor for colour grading. I'm on a PC, with a budget of up to $1500. Feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options from BenQ, Viewsonic, LG etc!

I'm also wondering if i need an external calibration tool? Part of the marketing from BenQ, is that some of their monitors are guaranteed accurate because of colour-calibration done at the factory!...but i find that hard to believe.

Any thoughts, or recommendations of monitors you own (and really like) in my price range are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert

Are you looking for a computer monitor you want to use to display the video and grade from it or a monitor that will be fed an HDMI or SDI signal from a Decklink/UltraStudio?

If it is the former, don't. Or at least try not to, especially if you are on Windows OS.
If it is the latter, I recommend an LG OLED HDTV.

orbitrob

PostSat May 06, 2023 2:24 am

Hi mpetech,

Thanks for your suggestions. Going down a bit of a rabbit hole learning about Decklinks etc...but a good rabbit-hole. I've also heard great things about OLED TV's for monitoring and grading. A shame there's just not that many monitor sized options (27"-30") on the market.

Best,
Robert
DR Studio 16.1.2.026, Win10Home 64bit - i9-9900K@3.6GHz, 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 16GB, "Studio" driver 26.21.14.4219
OS, Library: 1TB SSD - Project: 1TB SSD - Cache: 1TB NVMe

Gianis Kalaitzidis

PostSat May 06, 2023 6:10 pm

https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video ... onitors-2/

some very good info

I grab the Asus PA329C brand new at half the retail price, for that money i like it but it has ips glow and 1000 contrast ratio, but it has good coverage of P3/Adobe RGB and 100% rec.709.

For the full price i wouldn't suggest it, better go with an IPS black like the DELL U3223QE or the LG 32UQ85R-W if you are at USA, i suspect that due to the high power consumption it didn't pass the standards for the EU market..

Robert Niessner

PostSat May 06, 2023 10:20 pm

I can highly recommend the EIZO ColorEdge CS2740
It’s a fantastic true 10bit UHD 27“ monitor with internal 16bit lookup table and direct support for hardware calibration. You can turn Windows color management off for it and use it hardware calibrated with Davinci Resolve.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

HendrikvdV

PostThu May 18, 2023 8:59 am

There are a lot of fake (read: paid) reviews online, so its difficult to get reliable information.

I find myself in a similar predicament, on the hunt for a new monitor. Although my budget is slightly more flexible, it's been challenging to find an option that fully satisfies my needs.

The EIZO ColorEdge CS2740 caught my attention, however, its poor contrast ratio of 790:1 raises concerns. Additionally, its relatively high price tag seems unjustified, given the limited feature set it offers.

I also considered the Dell UP2720Q, which has received favorable reviews. However, I experienced issues with low gamma, and to my dismay, I discovered I had received a previously returned unit. As a result, I had to return it yesterday. (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=181408)

Another contender was the BenQ SW271C, which initially appeared promising. However, upon deeper research, I found numerous reports of subpar display quality and a disappointing contrast ratio of just 700:1.

I had a previous unpleasant experience with Asus, which has since deterred me from their brand.

My search for the ideal monitor continues. The Eizo CG2700X is a potential candidate, but its considerably higher price point makes me pause. Plus, I'm uncertain about its suitability for both office tasks and gaming. The constraint of limited desk space means that multiple displays are not a viable solution for me.

Robert Niessner

PostThu May 18, 2023 12:19 pm

HendrikvdV wrote:The EIZO ColorEdge CS2740 caught my attention, however, its poor contrast ratio of 790:1 raises concerns. Additionally, its relatively high price tag seems unjustified, given the limited feature set it offers.

I have nothing to complain about my EIZOs contrast ratio.
Which features are you looking for which you'd miss with this particular model?
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

HendrikvdV

PostThu May 18, 2023 1:05 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
HendrikvdV wrote:The EIZO ColorEdge CS2740 caught my attention, however, its poor contrast ratio of 790:1 raises concerns. Additionally, its relatively high price tag seems unjustified, given the limited feature set it offers.

I have nothing to complain about my EIZOs contrast ratio.
Which features are you looking for which you'd miss with this particular model?

The monitor does not have an integrated or included colorimeter, and you also have to pay extra for a light hood. The screen has fewer image inputs with worse specifications (DP 1.2). The color range is also somewhat smaller compared to competition, with 90% P3 coverage. Nothing that important, but compared to the competition is Eizo relatively expensive.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 18, 2023 2:06 pm

HendrikvdV wrote:I had a previous unpleasant experience with Asus, which has since deterred me from their brand.

May I ask what you experienced?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

HendrikvdV

PostThu May 18, 2023 3:24 pm

Uli Plank wrote:
HendrikvdV wrote:I had a previous unpleasant experience with Asus, which has since deterred me from their brand.

May I ask what you experienced?

I bought a Asus laptop in the past. After reading several high praising reviews, particularly regarding the high-quality display, I decided to invest in a $1200 laptop. Upon receiving the product, however, I was disappointed to find that the display and battery did not live up to my expectations. Despite my attempts to reach out to Asus, they consistently denied any alterations in the device's construction. Although I reiterated my concerns on multiple occasions, the company continued to dismiss my inquiries. Over time, it became undeniable that the display was indeed subpar and changed from the initial release, and the battery performance was equally unsatisfactory.

I don’t like to be lied to, and I find the practice of launching a top-tier model, only to replace its high-quality components with cheaper, underperforming substitutes after the initial review phase, highly objectionable.

Robert Niessner

PostThu May 18, 2023 11:35 pm

HendrikvdV wrote:The monitor does not have an integrated or included colorimeter, and you also have to pay extra for a light hood.

I am not a big fan of integrated colorimeters as they just measure a single part of the monitor in the upper middle. You can directly use an external colorimeter with the monitor, which made it much more useful for me as I use that also for calibrating other monitors and my Atomos monitors.

The hood you can buy extra from EIZO is crap (according to the reviews I've read). You can make one yourself by buying a black cardboard with foam core and cut it with a blade as you need. Velcro it to the monitor. Placement of your room lights will have a much bigger influence anyway than a hood.

HendrikvdV wrote:The screen has fewer image inputs with worse specifications (DP 1.2). The color range is also somewhat smaller compared to competition, with 90% P3 coverage. Nothing that important, but compared to the competition is Eizo relatively expensive.

Yes, it has fewer inputs, but how many PCs are you gonna connect to it? More than 3?
DP 1.2 is enough for maxing out what the monitor can do 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz. I don't get why you are doing a spec mark ride for this? I mean it would be completely useless to have a better Displayport spec in this case.

90% P3 - will you see the difference between 90% and 95%?

I may sound a bit defensive for the EIZO here - but I'm just trying to get your points and at least to me those are none-issues. I have no regrets getting this monitor.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

HendrikvdV

PostFri May 19, 2023 6:57 am

Robert Niessner wrote:I may sound a bit defensive for the EIZO here - but I'm just trying to get your points and at least to me those are none-issues. I have no regrets getting this monitor.

Then you bought the perfect monitor for your needs.

Everyone harbors specific preferences when it comes to choosing the right video editing monitor. Acknowledging that the elusive "perfect" monitor doesn't exist simplifies the process, but that doesn't necessarily make the decision easy. The internet, also presents a challenge with its multitude of paid reviews, which often blur the lines between genuine recommendations and manufactured promotions.

Searching for the "best monitor for video editing" can yield confusing results, with some reviewers even recommending a $400 gaming display as the perfect tool for color rading. The goal of this discussion, however, is to compile a list of reliable, industry-tested monitors, widely used and recommended by authentic professionals in the video editing field.

Moreover, suggesting solutions like the Sony BVM-HX310 or a (just get a) Decklink isn't helpful either. They may be excellent devices, but they might not always suit the budget or specific needs of every individual. The aim here is to discuss and recommend monitors that strike a balance between professional-grade quality and affordable pricing.

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 19, 2023 7:29 am

HendrikvdV wrote:Everyone harbors specific preferences when it comes to choosing the right video editing monitor. Acknowledging that the elusive "perfect" monitor doesn't exist simplifies the process, but that doesn't necessarily make the decision easy. The internet, also presents a challenge with its multitude of paid reviews, which often blur the lines between genuine recommendations and manufactured promotions.

Searching for the "best monitor for video editing" can yield confusing results, with some reviewers even recommending a $400 gaming display as the perfect tool for color rading. The goal of this discussion, however, is to compile a list of reliable, industry-tested monitors, widely used and recommended by authentic professionals in the video editing field.

Moreover, suggesting solutions like the Sony BVM-HX310 or a (just get a) Decklink isn't helpful either. They may be excellent devices, but they might not always suit the budget or specific needs of every individual. The aim here is to discuss and recommend monitors that strike a balance between professional-grade quality and affordable pricing.

All valid points. Hope you find the perfect one for your needs. Maybe you are lucky and a new release in the near future will be exactly that one.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Uli Plank

PostFri May 19, 2023 9:18 am

BenQ is coming out with two new models, one of them true 4K. Might be worth waiting for:
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

mickspixels

PostFri May 19, 2023 12:31 pm

Eizo monitors are more expensive than other equivalent monitors because they are extremely well made with top class quality control in my experience. I don't have the CS2740 that Robert is talking about but I've had a couple of Eizo monitors over the years for photography and they are simply superb. I've also had a couple of BenQ monitors and they are very good as well, but the Eizos are better (uniformity across the screen for one thing).

orbitrob wrote:I'm also wondering if i need an external calibration tool? Part of the marketing from BenQ, is that some of their monitors are guaranteed accurate because of colour-calibration done at the factory!...but i find that hard to believe.

Definitely do not believe the blurb that you don't need to calibrate BenQ monitors. You absolutely do and you will need an external calibrator either way unless you opt to invest in the CG2700X which I think has an in-built calibrator. On Robert's point, the older Eizo monitors with in-built calibrator were not as accurate as using an external calibrator but the more recent models are much better and give very similar results to the iOne Display Pro - maybe due to better uniformity across the screen.

Gianis Kalaitzidis

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 11:44 am

orbitrob wrote:

All monitors should be calibrated if we care about color accuracy. The factory Calibration is mostly a marketing thing, since that with a colorimeter, like the calibrite display pro, we can achieve a much better color accuracy.

And most important, all monitors drift through time, some are more stable than others, depends from the panel technology, but the point is if we care about color accuracy, we need to calibrite it often like once a month, or whatever period is convenient to us.

HendrikvdV

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 5:49 am

Gianis Kalaitzidis wrote:
orbitrob wrote:

All monitors should be calibrated if we care about color accuracy. The factory Calibration is mostly a marketing thing, since that with a colorimeter, like the calibrite display pro, we can achieve a much better color accuracy.

And most important, all monitors drift through time, some are more stable than others, depends from the panel technology, but the point is if we care about color accuracy, we need to calibrite it often like once a month, or whatever period is convenient to us.

No, that's not entirely accurate. Factory calibration can yield higher quality results compared to calibration with a consumer-grade colorimeter, such as the Display Pro. If you calibrate it yourself, the results could potentially be (measurably) worse. Most of the time, you might not observe any significant or relevant changes. Despite the stability of LCD technology and the slow rate of color drift, changes will occur over time. When that happens, calibrating with a Display Pro might yield better results.

Gianis Kalaitzidis

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 4:49 pm

HendrikvdV wrote:
Gianis Kalaitzidis wrote:
orbitrob wrote:

No, that's not entirely accurate. Factory calibration can yield higher quality results compared to calibration with a consumer-grade colorimeter, such as the Display Pro. If you calibrate it yourself, the results could potentially be (measurably) worse. Most of the time, you might not observe any significant or relevant changes. Despite the stability of LCD technology and the slow rate of color drift, changes will occur over time. When that happens, calibrating with a Display Pro might yield better results.

I'm not an expert but from what I read it's always better to calibrate your display even if it is factory calibrated or at least verify it.

You can achieve even better accuracy with a consumer-grade colorimeter like calibrite display pro or the new ones, with probe matching and a rented spectroradiometer.

https://www.lightillusion.com/probe_matching.html

https://www.portrait.com/resource-cente ... in-calman/

ColorSpace and Calman support probe matching, don't know for displayCal.

I wouldn't trust calibrite profiler.
Last edited by Gianis Kalaitzidis on Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpetech

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 6:15 pm

Gianis Kalaitzidis wrote:I'm not an expert but from what I read it's always better to calibrite your display even if it is factory calibrated.

You can achieve even better accuracy with a consumer-grade colorimeter like calibrite display pro or the new ones, with probe matching and a rented spectroradiometer.

https://www.lightillusion.com/probe_matching.html

https://www.portrait.com/resource-cente ... in-calman/

ColorSpace and Calman support probe matching, don't know for displayCal.

I wouldn't trust calibrite profiler.

Good calibration requires 3 things...

A good meter. A really good one will cost you $7K+. i1Display Pro is good. Real good for the price. But it's not on the same level as a good spectro.

Basic knowledge of color science.

Experience.

You can do better than factory calibration if you have all 3. All factory calibrations I have seen come with a calibration report. Almost all of them should report <2 delta. Even with an i1Display you should be able to achieve lower than that except for the low end where below 10% the meter is notoriously slow or/and inaccurate. Consumer product w/ factory calibration tends to be.... mediocre at best.

rNeil H

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 10:41 pm

When I got my BenQ pd2720u it had a pretty certificate of its calibration.

However, it didn't even look at ALL close to my other monitors. Running an i1 probe with either the factory Xrite calibration or Lightspace got the same reading. Brightness of Rec.709 setting was around 170 nits, white point about 5300. Sort of.

After running Lightspace for calibration run with Resolve doing the patches, then running a full profile check, got it to a very nice dE, with only thing above 1.8 being a narrow spike at something like around 18 nits. Still even the spike was within "acceptable" numbers.

So I'm not sure I'd accept factory calibration without question. Perhaps ... trust but verify?

Sending materials created with that monitor to several others with Kleins and Flanders rigs, they confirmed my post-calibration color was good.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Return to Post Production