No Desktop video device detected on M2

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

guichoflo

No Desktop video device detected on M2

PostTue May 30, 2023 1:25 am

Every time I change machines it's the same... Desktop video setup doesn't detect my ultrastudio mini monitor 3g and I have to spend hours finding a solve in forums.

But this time is different. I just bought an M2 macbook pro running on Ventura 13.3 and nothing seems to work. I've really tried all the fixes involving the kernel extensions and so on and nothing that used to work before works now.

It's making me wonder if the software is able to run on M2 macs. Has anyone had good luck with their BM monitor devices working on M2 macs?

Shame on the BM engineers who don't seem to want to fix this issue after years and years.

storiestold

Re: No Desktop video device detected on M2

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 6:20 pm

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the exact same issue on the new Mac M2 Ultra Studio...It would be nice to figure this out.

Howard Roll

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 5:46 am

Under System Settings>General>Login Items do you have Blackmagic Design Desktop Video enabled?

Good Luck

Login Items.jpeg
Login Items.jpeg (64.02 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

kjlongtine

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 7:23 pm

Same boat. Tried all the voodoo tricks, tips... I was tempted to upgrade to Ventura 13.4 I feel like that would just open a new can of worms of incompatibility and not really solve anything with Desktop Video devices.
On the plus side i am becoming quite the Mac power user in the terminal!

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 20, 2023 2:41 am

Just an observation: it didn't work on a Ventura system that was updated automatically from Monterey (where it worked).
I'm working with Ventura only 'sandboxed' and decided to do a fresh install of Ventura 13.4 and then right away BM's Desktop Video. After giving it the rights as indicated by the installer, it works fine here. No Terminal voodoo needed.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jun 30, 2023 5:25 am

We just updated to Ventura last week and are sticking with 13.3.1. I've been seeing a lot of trouble report about 13.4 lately.

We called Apple and they were zero help in getting us a legit copy of 13.3 (or 13.3.1), despite me telling them there were issues with 13.4. Note that Mac OSX has been free for years now, and only recently have they not making available the older OS's.

I was able to get a local source to give us a thumb drive with the last 5 years of Mac OS installers on it, but it drives me crazy that Apple was unreasonable on this issue. (Note that Blackmagic provides the last 11-12 years' worth of Resolve versions on their Support website.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production