Travelling with a Mac Mini?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Kye Leslie

Travelling with a Mac Mini?

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 4:52 am

I am currently running Resolve Studio from my 2020 i7 MacBook Pro laptop, which is also my personal computer, and it works ok but can't do complex grades in realtime so I'm contemplating getting an M2 Mac Mini. Long-term it would be cheaper for me not to upgrade the MBP every few years just because of Resolve (and a few other heavy non-video applications)

I shoot personal projects and travel overseas multiple times per year, usually from 2-6 weeks at a time, which is why I have persisted with a MBP setup rather than a desktop computer. I can stay in hotels, cruise ships, air-bnbs, etc, so it's a variety of situations.

Does anyone travel with a Mac Mini or Mac Studio for editing/colour grading? What advice do you have for me?

Things that come to mind are:
  • How do you transport the Mac itself?
  • What monitor/display do you use and how do you transport it?
  • Do you have any issues with power? Apple says it's 110-240V and 50/60Hz so I'm guessing that's fine.
  • What other equipment do you also travel with? I have the BM Speed Editor, Micro Panel, and Ultrastudio Monitor 3G, but I probably wouldn't take those as they'd be too bulky, and I'm OK editing and grading without them.
  • I'd probably also bring my MBP as I use it for other things - is there some way to use the MBP display from the Mac Mini?
Thanks in advance!

Scott Heysen

Re: Travelling with a Mac Mini?

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 pm

Personally, unless you are keeping your i7 MBP to run Windows, sell it for whatever you can. Buy a 16" M2 MBP (or even an M1 if money is really tight). You get a screen that is unbelievably good, and computing power that will make your i7 look like a toy. Or if you need the big screen experience, get the Mac Studio with the Apple Studio Display, and get the "Case Club Case fits Mac Studio Display" rolling hard case from Amazon. Just my 2 cents.
iMacPro 10core, 32GB, 2TB, Vega64 - 12.6.5
16" MacBookPro, 10core M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB - 13.4
14" MacBookPro, M2, 10core, 16GB, 512GB - 13.4
Various Pegasus RAIDs

Ron Eggleton

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 11:51 pm

I recently acquired a 16" MBP M2 Max, so that is what I travel with- I have to agree with Scott- it's awesome. HOWEVER, prior to this, I travelled with my mini. Amazon had a little zippered/padded case for the mini which has worked great. I took a 19" monitor because my LG ultrawide 24" did not fit in my pelican case. The pelican also fit my tripod, camera case, extra audio stuff etc. The TV in hotel rooms worked pretty well where I've stayed, but don't rely on that. The last place I went with my MBP had an old 720p tv.
Cloud Store 20TB
ATEM Mini Pro
BMPCC
ATEM Camera Converters
ATEM Studio Converter v1

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 10:41 am

How do you transport the Mac itself?
They are pretty robust, you don't need anything particular, just some padding.

What monitor/display do you use and how do you transport it?
If you want to carry a 24" display, I'd have a custom case made like many companies are offering to musicians.

Do you have any issues with power? Apple says it's 110-240V and 50/60Hz so I'm guessing that's fine.
Absolutely no problem. With a laptop you'd even have an UPS. But rather have a spike protector, in particular in tropical countries with lots of thunderstorms.

What other equipment do you also travel with? I have the BM Speed Editor, Micro Panel, and Ultrastudio Monitor 3G, but I probably wouldn't take those as they'd be too bulky, and I'm OK editing and grading without them.
In that case I'd suggest a MacBook Pro, the recent models have pretty good screens. And a good mouse.

I'd probably also bring my MBP as I use it for other things - is there some way to use the MBP display from the Mac Mini?
Unfortunately not. But why a mini at all then?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

guichoflo

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 4:25 pm

I just bought an M2 macbook pro and my mini monitor 3g doesn't work with it. Something to keep in mind.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 12:29 am

Have a look at this thread, Dwaine is giving advice there: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144265

It works for me, even under Ventura.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 7:24 am

I wouldn’t buy a Mac Mini Pro at all. The Top of the line Mac mini pro price as the same for a base Mac Studio Max M1. The studio max M1 has the advantage of having more thunderbolts than the min. And now that the M2 Mac Studio Max and Ultra are out and price pretty much the same as the M1, you no longer can by the M1 Studio from Apple since it has been discontinued. If you’re budget was for a mini pro or a m1 studio Max, you can get the M1 Studio with 512gb SSD, 32gb memory, 10 core cpu/24 core gpu at substantial discount, even some place less than the mini pro because they are selling discontinued model inventory. For example, Costco in California has it for $400 less so you can get the M1 for about 1599$. Sam Club and Micro City has it for $600 less when I was there last Sunday and Wednesday respectively. So you can get it for 1399$. It might be open box. At these prices, it’s definitely cheaper than the Mac Mini, has more thunderbolt ports, faster bus too.

Or, if you’re looking for a great workstation, then go for the Mac Studio M2 Ultra with 48 cpu cores, 78 gpu cores, more neural cores, and more thunderbolts, and up to 192gb memory.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production