Avid Media Composer crashing

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Matt Mueller

Avid Media Composer crashing

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 8:54 pm

I know this has been an ongoing issue with BM video cards and Media Composer running on a Mac studio computers. I have updated to the latest Desktop Video 12.7 and nothing is fixed. It might actually be worse now. If I disable the BM card in Avid I don't crash. Mac Studio iOs 13.4 and MC 2023.8.

I know I'm not alone out here on this one.

BramVandam

Re: Avid Media Composer crashing

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 6:33 pm

I like to add myself to this post. I experience the same problems and have been in contact with Avid on the issue.

According to this post https://community.avid.com/forums/p/208946/933469.aspx#933469 Avid and BMD are both aware of the problem. Avid seems to point their finger towards BMD, but I'm not sure if that is fair or not. It would be nice to get some response from BMD on if and how they are looking into fixing the issue, because I now own a Ultrastudio 4K Mini that is practically useless.

Thanks in advance!

Kenneth Kordisch

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 3:40 pm

This is a huge problem especially on apple silicon. I have been emailing Avid every week since Aug for updates and Avid keeps telling me that BMD has done their part to fix the issue and they are waiting for BMD to do their part. I have been specifically told for 2 months now by Avid, that there is a fix in place.... then desktop video 12.6 came out.... then 12.7 came out with nothing fixed. I should also say that AJA boxes do have issues as well. But in emails, I am specifically told that this is a Blackmagic issue by Avid, which I am not sure I really believe.

Here is the avid thread among many: https://community.avid.com/forums/t/208857.aspx
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 10.45.42 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 10.45.42 AM.png (155.78 KiB) Viewed 10230 times

Kenneth Kordisch

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 4:24 pm

Also another UPDATE post from Avid.

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/209555.aspx

Matt Mueller

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 3:58 pm

Kenneth,

I did the suggested upgrades of my iOS and Media Composer and Desktop Video with very little change. I still crash a ton. Any better for you?

Blackmagic is VERY quiet on this problem...

Kenneth Kordisch

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 8:45 pm

It is not any better and also avid hasn't qualified the updates according to their version matrix.

I would take the box out of the loop and plug your client monitor in directly into the cpu and use Full screen mode. I think a big part of this has to do with avid's code not being full apple silicon and still relying on rosetta.

stevengrossmith@gmail.com

PostWed Nov 15, 2023 2:29 pm

Has there been any update on this issue?

Kenneth Kordisch

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 6:16 pm

Avid is saying they have done their part and that they are waiting on BMD to update. Can we get an update from BMD when driver will be available?

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/208 ... ageIndex=5
Attachments
BMD.png
BMD.png (208.75 KiB) Viewed 5176 times

Mikemaan

PostWed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 pm

Just really annoyed with this as well using BMD Mini Monitor on MBP M1 Max.
MBP M1 MAX w/ Mini Panel
Resolve 19b Studio

jpmitcham

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 6:02 pm

Looks like the update addressing this issue was made available this past Friday. I've been using it for the last few hours and haven't had a crash. Fingers crossed it keeps working.

jpmitcham

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 3:35 pm

New driver out specifically addressing this issue. I've tried it and I can say that it kind of fixes it? I still get hangs, audio will completely cut out and trimming on the the timeline is sluggish. In fact avid in general is sluggish with hardware i/o turned on. I think the last issue I mentioned is an avid related one, Marianna seems to suggest that on the avid forums.

Philip Kapadia

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 11:53 am

Kenneth Kordisch wrote:This is a huge problem especially on apple silicon. I have been emailing Avid every week since Aug for updates and Avid keeps telling me that BMD has done their part to fix the issue and they are waiting for BMD to do their part. I have been specifically told for 2 months now by Avid, that there is a fix in place.... then desktop video 12.6 came out.... then 12.7 came out with nothing fixed. I should also say that AJA boxes do have issues as well. But in emails, I am specifically told that this is a Blackmagic issue by Avid, which I am not sure I really believe.

Here is the avid thread among many: https://community.avid.com/forums/t/208857.aspx

Kenneth,

Blackmagic wrote the code which connects Media Composer to I/O devices. This component is called Open IO.

In the days of Nitris, the DX driver handled sending uncompressed frames to the I/O device. Still, as that's been discontinued, Blackmagic has been writing the code for both the Media Composer to I/O (open IO) and the Open I/O to driver (Blackmagic desktop video setup).

12.8.1 should have resolved most of the issues. However, I could still reproduce the sluggishness when moving in and out of trim/slip mode and will log it shortly. I have no idea if it's some buffer issue within Media Composer or if it's a combination of Open I/O and Rosetta.
Editing Movie Magic.
Freelance Film Editor // Technical Expert
Avid Media Composer // DaVinci Resolve Studio 18
philipkapadia.com

Kenneth Kordisch

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:58 pm

I am fully aware of how Avid and openIO works and yes it is working better in 2024.2 and the 12.8.1 driver but it is absolutely ridiculous that it took this long to fix. Both sides can point fingers all they want, it was just absolutely ridiculous.

Philip Kapadia

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:03 pm

Kenneth Kordisch wrote:I am fully aware of how Avid and openIO works and yes it is working better in 2024.2 and the 12.8.1 driver but it is absolutely ridiculous that it took this long to fix. Both sides can point fingers all they want, it was just absolutely ridiculous.

If you knew how it works why are you pointing the finger at Avid?
Editing Movie Magic.
philipkapadia.com

Kenneth Kordisch

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:35 pm

It is avid's fault. IO's didn't work on AJA as well for any 2023 version until there was a "magic patch" for 2023.12.1 and updated drivers. You know how I know? Because I actually tested every single variation of IO and drivers for months with my buddy Justin. The fact that it took almost a year to fix this is embarrassing after handing over all this information. Avid has zero IO partnership with BMD anymore. It is Avid's responsibility to test these things before sending them out and recommending them to their customers.

Also, was it you that talked the avid engineers or the blackmagic engineers at 1am in Australia to try to get this fixed? No it wasn't. It me and my buddy Justin doing this since August. Getting special builds so this would get fixed.

BTW, you are welcome.

Philip Kapadia

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 pm

Kenneth Kordisch wrote:It is avid's fault. IO's didn't work on AJA as well for any 2023 version until there was a "magic patch" for 2023.12.1

Respectfully, that issue had a very different root cause.
Editing Movie Magic.
philipkapadia.com

Kenneth Kordisch

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm

Blackmagic didn't have the issue with Resolve. Same IO and OS.

Anyway, when people complain about an issue on the avid forums, dozens of dozens of people, a novel idea would be to actually investigate it and fix it within a year. Ball park 1 year sounds pretty good. Maybe 5 years if we are doing Titler +.

Philip Kapadia

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:38 pm

Kenneth Kordisch wrote:Blackmagic didn't have the issue with Resolve. Same IO and OS.

Anyway, when people complain about an issue on the avid forums, dozens of dozens of people, a novel idea would be to actually investigate it and fix it within a year. Ball park 1 year sounds pretty good. Maybe 5 years if we are doing Titler +.

Actually, they did, with the Media Express application.
Resolve and MC have different I/O architecture but both are developed by BM.

Also, Titler ++ is in Alpha right now.
Editing Movie Magic.
philipkapadia.com

Kenneth Kordisch

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:04 pm

Media express? Good to know. That is my go to when I need to monitor a professional video signal. It must have been awful for you when it didn't work. I am sorry that happened to you.

And yes I know. Titler + came out at the end of 2018. It’s now 2024.

You will never win this argument. I am mildly autistic and never take no for an answer but I am down to keep replying.

Philip Kapadia

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:49 pm

[quote="Kenneth Kordisch"]
Titler + came out at the end of 2018. It’s now 2024.

/quote]
Timecode Tool... Subcap Effect... - Both viable alternatives for the time being
Editing Movie Magic.
philipkapadia.com

Return to Post Production