Black magic outputting 2k signal as HD

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dcpaustralia

Black magic outputting 2k signal as HD

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 2:05 am

I regularly play back 2k DCP’s in the studio and have noticed that BM hardware is only outputting the signal as HD.

If i set my resolve timeline and output to match the DCP 1998x1080 (which my monitor supports) i get a cropped image on my monitor.

I’ve noticed in BM desktop software there is an option which is greyed out that says “output 2k as HD”

If all these resolutions are supported in resolve and the BM hardware specs state they are, and my monitor supports it… why is BM limiting 2k signals to HD?

Anyone else noticed this?

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Black magic outputting 2k signal as HD

PostSun Dec 24, 2023 5:09 pm

You have an HD monitor 1920 x 1080, and you are trying to view 1998 x1080 content on it, and resolve is cropping the picture on playout. I assume you mean it is keeping the 1080 sides intact, but losing the top and bottom portion of the picture?

Have you checked your image scaling settings in Resolve. Do you want to see black bars at the sides instead? (Force entire image to fit on screen)

dcpaustralia

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 3:02 am

my monitor and projector are both 4K DCI so that's not the issue.

The images are presenting full screen however the left and right sides of the screen are clipped. Timeline and monitoring settings are correct.

Blackmagic hardware is outputting every 2K signal as HD. I can switch to HD or 4K and the full image is displayed again. Seems that BMD cannot display 2K even though they say it's a supported format.

Would love some input from BMD support teams here?

Peter Cave

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 10:17 pm

Try different Output Scaling options.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Howard Roll

PostWed Dec 27, 2023 7:13 pm

Isn't the "Full Container" 2048X1080? Flat (1998X1080) and Scope (2048X858) are by definition cropped.

Good Luck

earthling

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 10:26 am

dcpaustralia wrote:...

Blackmagic hardware is outputting every 2K signal as HD. I can switch to HD or 4K and the full image is displayed again. Seems that BMD cannot display 2K even though they say it's a supported format.

Hi,
This has been my experience also, either it's an intentional limitation from BM or it's an HDMI limitation. 2K is supported however, over DCI !
I discovered this recently as I finally jumped the gun and got a 4K monitor but it only has HDMI input and I still work with many 2K (or HD) projects. Since I have a 4K monitor, I've found a workaround but that implied getting a Ultra Studio 4K Mini as the UltraStudio 3G monitor I had doesn't support 4K. With the Ultra Studio 4K Mini I can output to 4K DCI and even if my timeline is 2K I can just scale the output.
Now as I shoot mostly in 4K DCI I set my timeline to that and then when I've finished postproduction I output to 2K.
Cheers,
Damien
Damien Molineaux
www.face-c.net

Return to Post Production