VIRTUAL PRODUCTION - Ultimatte 4k - Unreal Engine

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

VirtualProduction2024

VIRTUAL PRODUCTION - Ultimatte 4k - Unreal Engine

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 2:20 am

I have questions to anyone that can suggest the optimal sdi pathway for using Virtual production with Unreal and Ultimatte 4k

Im using 3 hyperdecks and Vive Mars Cam Track

At the end of the day i need the options of having the final live comp but also need to record the Foreground / Background / Matte & Final comp, all separately for possible post work.

Everything will be genlocked with Aja Gen10 and have tentacle timecode

Following the path of going from the sdi of a red cam.. i assume into the FG (foreground) of the ultimatte first.. and then what paths to connect it all from there? We also have a decklink 8k in the pc

Still not sure if we need to use composure in Unreal or not in this workflow or whatever will be the least taxing on the system to run live keys of 3D environments

also what would be the correct path to get the final comp back to a second camera monitor?
So that one camera monitor is the green/talent the second monitor is the final comp?

Do you run an sdi back out of the decklink to the second monitor? Or from one of the ouputs on the Ultimatte to the second on-camera monitor?

Any thoughts to the best way to set it all up would be extremely helpful!

jallen0

Re: VIRTUAL PRODUCTION - Ultimatte 4k - Unreal Engine

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 2:04 am

Wayne,

I have this exact system and you need to add a router to your set-up. With two Ultimatte 12 4K systems you need a 40 x 40. The 80 x 80 would be better but that's a bigger jump.

Looking at this picture right now I only have enough Hyperdecks for 1 Ultimatte system. I need to order 3 more for the second camera. I have two Decklink Pro 8K cards in my system, one for in's and one for outs.

You really want to run everything into the router and then out from there. You'll find that your camera feed will be used in multiple places as you move through the process.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
2 - 1 (4).jpeg
2 - 1 (4).jpeg (336.6 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Filmguyy

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 2:14 am

Fantastic set up!!!!!

Part of my question would also be once it’s in your sdi router. The path to take to get into the computer?

For example. From what I’m gathering .. I go from the camera .. into FG of the Ultimatte first.
Do the keying. Then go out of the matte into the decklink of the computer

Although I’m getting different suggestions that either you go from cam into ultimate. Key it. Go into computer/unreal for background/tracking .. then BACK to Ultimatte and record onto the hyperdecks. So that the Ultimatte is doing some of the heavy lifting

But someone else suggested going cam to Ultimatte .. into computer/unreal and do the comping in “composure” of unreal and record the hyperdecks from unreal.

Which I would assume means the computer is working much harder to render/tracks the environments while having composure also do it’s thing

Of course if you (or anyone) can suggest the best practice would be awesome!

jallen0

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 5:13 pm

This thread just popped up today here ( 3 days after last post happening ) and we have been having the discussion off-line. I could duplicate all of that discussion if anyone else is interested...otherwise I'll just let it be for now.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 4:54 pm

I would love to hear how this all comes together.

Jack Fairley

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 8:13 pm

Glenn Sakatch wrote:I would love to hear how this all comes together.

I did this with HD gear and Ultimatte 11 years ago, and was thrilled with the quality. Once you have it set up, it's very plug and play.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Donald Plachno

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 2:51 am

Hi everyone, I work for a small state University Television station that is run by students and one other instructor. We are getting three Ultimatte 12 4k's installed in our control room at the end of the semester. These will primarily be used for virtual sets for news, sports, interviews, and so on. Recently, we discovered the Vive Mars Camtrack system and felt that this would be a great addition that can be used on more creative productions. I have been watching lots of videos on the installation of the tracker, however, I am having difficulty finding information about how to bring it all into the Ultimatte. I read the thread here and I wondering if any of you made progress and could possibly give me some direction. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Best,

Don

Return to Post Production