Ultrastudio 4k Mini, Mac Pro 7,1, MacOS 12.7.1 with ProTools

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dave_NZ

Ultrastudio 4k Mini, Mac Pro 7,1, MacOS 12.7.1 with ProTools

PostSat Jan 20, 2024 11:36 am

Hey Folks,

I've been non stop on films for a couple of years and only upgraded from Catalina to Monterey in the last month when I had a break. Now, I am banging my head trying to get my Ultrastudio 4k Mini to appear in the Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup. I get the constant 'No Desktop Video Device Detected'. I have literally tried every version of the software from DVS 12.7.1 right down to 11.1.

There were two DVS versions where the device magically appeared in the control panel 11.3 and 11.4.1, but the Avid Video Engine would not play and would render ProTools unusable with unrecoverable video engine crashes.

FYI, the device does appear in the 'System Report' under Thunderbolt Devices. I only bought the unit a year ago and until now I thought it was awesome.

I urgently need to know the following:

Does the Ultrastudio 4k Mini actually work with Monterey on a MacPro7,1? If not, can you recommend a configuration that will work?

What version of the Desktop Video do I need to use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am actually almost ready to take out my hammer and turn the unit into modern art.

Cheers,

Dave Whitehead
--------------------
Mac Pro 7,1
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
ProTools 2023.12.1
BM Ultrastudio 4k Mini
Desktop Video Setup 12.6
--------------------

Marc Wielage

Re: Ultrastudio 4k Mini, Mac Pro 7,1, MacOS 12.7.1 with ProT

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 5:39 am

I am 99% sure this will work in Mac OS 13.3 (Ventura), but OS 12 (Monterey) is pretty old at this point. I'm hearing that the newer OS Sonoma (14) has a bunch of issues with securities and permissions.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dave_NZ

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 9:02 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I am 99% sure this will work in Mac OS 13.3 (Ventura), but OS 12 (Monterey) is pretty old at this point. I'm hearing that the newer OS Sonoma (14) has a bunch of issues with securities and permissions.

Hey Marc,

I do appreciate the response. I'll try upgrading to Ventura and see how I go. I wish Black Magic would come up with a compatibility chart or something to help their customers. Its not the first BM hardware I've been fumbling in the dark for answers, but hey, we can but hope.

Cheers,

Dave
--------------------
Mac Pro 7,1
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
ProTools 2023.12.1
BM Ultrastudio 4k Mini
Desktop Video Setup 12.6
--------------------

PiotrM

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 1:05 pm

Try this - got it from a Blackmagic support and it worked with my Mac:

Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Blackmagic Design > Blackmagic DeckLink, and manually run the "DesktopVideoHelper" executable.

Dave_NZ

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 10:11 pm

Hey Folks,

I tried all of the above and I've now updated to Ventura 13.6.4, but this very attractive, but non functional piece of gear will have to become a door stop. I'm afraid I'm giving up on Blackmagic, unless they can give me some true support.

I'm just very disappointed with Blackmagic. I've talked at trade shows and seen the amount of people they have there in their massive space, trying to sell their gear, but the moment you have a problem, there is only silence. Its not the first time either. I've had video cards over the years and when they work, they are fantastic, but as soon as you upgrade, expect a week of anguish and hair pulling.

Thanks to anyone who replied. The wider community is, Blackmagic's only support.

Blackmagic. May I suggest you employ one person to create and keep updating a compatibility chart across all platforms that use your hardware. I know the amount of permutations and combinations is massive, but the customers will love you for it.

Cheers,

Dave
--------------------
Mac Pro 7,1
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
ProTools 2023.12.1
BM Ultrastudio 4k Mini
Desktop Video Setup 12.6
--------------------

Return to Post Production