Decklink mini monitor 4K bricked?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Cary Knoop

Decklink mini monitor 4K bricked?

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 5:13 pm

Installed a working decklink card into a new Windows 11 machine.
Card was recognized by the device manager
Installed Blackmagic Desktop Video, restarted the computer
Started the program and was asked: Do you want to update the software (firmware)?
Answer: Yes. After a few seconds, the computer froze and could not interrupt
After restart the decklink card appears to be bricked as it is no longer recognized by the device manager

Any suggestions?

Tom Roper

Re: Decklink mini monitor 4K bricked?

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 6:27 pm

Holy Smokes!

If it happened to me, I would remove the decklink card, run system restore, then start over.

Or run system restore with the decklink card installed. Restore to an earlier point in time.

Tom Roper

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 6:34 pm

There have been times that an update takes a prolonged time without giving some sort of indication of progress. That can be frustrating. Best to try and wait it out. But I understand your concern is with the decklink card getting interrupted during an update. I'd still go with Windows system restore to see if it will recognize the card, it should.

Cary Knoop

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 9:43 pm

I got a pointer from a colorist at the LLG forum there is a procedure to update the firmware through USB (see page 74 of the desktop video install manual).

That fixed the problem.

Tom Roper

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 5:17 am

Right on. When I updated it looked like the computer froze because it gave no indication of progress but I waited it out, it eventually completed the update so apparently mine was never bricked, but glad to know of the USB procedure on page 74, had not seen it nor aware.

Cary Knoop

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 6:05 am

Thanks for the help Tom.

Robb Harriss

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 pm

Mine bricked as well going from 12.9 to 12.9 this afternoon. Left it alone (never interrupt a firmware update!!!). Got an error message that the update failed. Desktop video still wanted a reboot. Let it reboot and when it came up the request for the firmware update came up again. I let it proceed. Again it failed. Now the Desktop Video cannot see the mini monitor. All power and USB C connections checked and verified. Uninstalled and rebooted and installed 12.8. Reboot. No errors but mini monitor still not seen. Back to v 12.9. This time no request to update firmware. Mini monitor not see, has power (the buttons are lit and can see the backlight behind the display, which remains black.
Looks like everyone should be holding off. This mini monitor is only three months old BTW.

Robb Harriss

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 pm

nope. The USB suggestions didn't work. Same results

Cary Knoop

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 10:30 pm

Robb Harriss wrote:nope. The USB suggestions didn't work. Same results

What exactly did you do using the USB suggestion?

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 am

This USB port also exists inside the Ultrastudios; and in device terms is known as a 'service port'. I confess when I was scrambling to resurrect my bricked US 4K Mini, I didn't look at the manual either, since it only mentioned Decklinks, but seeing the only thing alive in Windows was, 'Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K Mini Service Port'; and discovering a USB port once I'd disassembled it; and that this port was alive if you either connected with TB3 or USB cable, I figured it was for that.

I never tried it though (the USB port - it worked from TB3) but the instructions I outlined in the thread 'How to unbrick an Ultrastudio' should work for all devices, including Decklinks. So you can also recover a failed firmware update, by forcing it through the command line tool. Have a look there and give that a go - there are steps for both Windows and Mac.

There's definitely an issue, I believe, with DV 12.9, across many devices (though not all). BMD have been made aware of it. It would have been nice if one of the BMD folk could have responded here to the many similar posts, since it was released; since they seem able to respond to issues with a free camera app. No doubt it will get sorted when they all get back from NAB. Until then I recommend holding off on this version; at least that's what I'm doing.

Return to Post Production