Media Express playback HDR and other questions

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

alexgrig

Media Express playback HDR and other questions

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 7:07 pm

Hi there everyone.
I have minimonitor 4K but no HDR devices- both Windows monitors is Dell U2413, third monitor which connected to Minimonitor4K with HDMI is regular old Panasonic tv, no HDR. My working software is Premiere, but Resolve in learning stage.
So , questions:
1 how must look prores 422HQ with HDR in Media Express? I made test footage from Arri log C originals, taken from Arri web , renders as UHD PQ 422HQ . Media express shows flat picture. Inside Premiere the same footage looks much more contrasted with overhighlights. Monitoring from Premiere also show contrasted picture, but when I playback footage in Media Express- flat looking. Properties inside MediaExpress say correct datas-422hq PQ 1000 nits. In other words, MediaExpress can playback HDR footage with full range?

2 is it possible to make color grading and correction without HDR monitoring? I mean, use only approximate looks in rec709 and vectroscope/waveform for rec2100?

Uli Plank

Re: Media Express playback HDR and other questions

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 3:06 am

You can't do any serious grading for HDR without proper monitoring. The cheapest option will be an LG OLED.
If you only want to dabble around with HDR, get a Mac with a HDR capable screen or an iPad.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

alexgrig

Re: Media Express playback HDR and other questions

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 10:28 am

Thanks for answer!
What about to use as third monitor Asus proart 729 ? It,s 27 inch 4k monitor with wide gamut?
And one more question. How minimonitor 4k work with ACES setups in AE? I try, but very strange output I got...

Return to Post Production