Video Assist 7" 3G monitoring ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

JimboG

Video Assist 7" 3G monitoring ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 10:00 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for a couple of monitors to plug into my ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, previously I had used a single 1080P Benq monitor (1920x1080) which worked great.

However, I'm looking to evolve this set-up to two smaller monitors from the ATEM for a 19" rack drawer configuration.

So far I've found these two monitors which would do the job nicely:

Black Magic Design Video Assist 7" 3G
Beetronics 9 Inch Monitor

The Black Magic Video Assist 7" 3G is a bit overkill for just monitoring, but I've not written it off yet. The Beetronics 9" are a favourite at the moment.

Both the Video Assist and the Beetronics have native resolutions of 1920x1200 which is "Full HD" - not 1080P (Standard HD) as I was expecting.

Because I had previously used a PC monitor that was native 1080P I got a true "full screen" when either in PGM or Multiview mode.

Here's my question: Given the larger resolution on both devices, will I expect to see black bars at the top and bottom on my monitors when connected to the ATEM, which only outputs to 1080P?

If so, (two-part question) why does the Video Assist even have a 1920x1200 display? I note from the website graphics that there seems to Codec, Format and Source information in a bar at the top of the screen - but not overlaying the video feed itself. Is it possible the Video Assist is somehow clever and "reserves" the extra 120 vertical lines to display that status bar? And if THAT is the case, would the same be true of the Beetronics monitor, or would that simply display the PGM/Multiview from the ATEM and show black bars to compensate for the 16:10 monitor with a 16:9 feed?

I hope I've explained myself correctly, if anyone has any hands-on experience with the Video Assist with a 1080P feed, ideally an ATEM Mini I would be very interested to hear your feedback.

It may well sway my buying decision either way!

Thanks very much.

Kind regards,

James

Return to Post Production