HyperDeck Shuttle HD for music production

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

amyodov

HyperDeck Shuttle HD for music production

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 11:08 am

For many months already, I have been looking at HyperDeck Shuttle HD with a great envy.

I am not a video/cinema producer. As a hobby, I do music; so my main app is not DaVinci Resolve but various DAWs (digital audio workstation): Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, Reaper, you name it.
And, for more effective work in the DAWs, there are hardware controllers – just like you video guys have for your Resolve.
Some of them more advanced, some of them less advanced; with various knobs and pads, motorized faders and screens.

And, for many months already, I've been looking for a DAW controller whose only purpose would be the “transport control”. Launch play/record/stop. Basic rewind to the beginning/to the end. And, most importantly – a good, enjoyable, pleasant jog/scrub wheel.
There are some DAW controllers which include the transport control section. But typically, they either have too much of other stuff on them (which just takes place on the table). Or their jog/scrub wheel is sub-par.

Finally, I found the ideal transport controller for the DAWs. Just looking at it makes my fingers tickle, enjoying the tactile feel of it. Nothing unnecessary, only exactly what's needed.

The only problem is: this ideal DAW transport controller is the aforementioned HyperDeck Shuttle HD; it is a standalone video recorder; and it seems it completely not intended and unable to be used with DAWs (i.e. not supporting MCU/Eucon protocols which are typically used for those “DAW controllers”).

Oh god, personally, I would probably pay a cost of HD Shuttle HD and completely ignored all the video recording features, if this baby just was able to integrate to my Logic Pro X via MCU/Eucon/whatever-is-used-in-Logic. I know this would be hugely overpriced for many other people; but if it was stripped of all standalone capabilities, it could easily be brought down to like $200, and became a really ideal DAW transport controller. A missing gadget for many music producers and audio engineers.

(I am not dropping any names just to avoid unnecessary mentioning of different brands; but I could easily mention half a dozen to a dozen of DAW controllers,... none of which would feel as pleasant and as minimal just to cover the transport function, but cover it ideally).

Return to Post Production