Ultra Studio Gamma Output Issue in Color Managed Project

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Tamas Harangi

Ultra Studio Gamma Output Issue in Color Managed Project

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 9:08 pm

I can’t wrap my head around a weird issue I’m encountering. Hoping someone might have some insight:

I’m monitoring with the Ultra Studio Mini Monitor HDMI output to an LG-C series Oled in a Color Managed, DWG project and a gamma shift occurs on the Oled if I switch the project output gamma tag between Rec709 Gamma 2.4 and Rec709-A.

It is my understanding that the Ultra Studio Mini Monitor and the HDMI output of it should be agnostic about 2.4 vs 709A -- and in fact in a standard YRGB project, switching between the two will not effect the Mini Monitor output at all, it only effects the look of the GUI video image and QT exports.

But for some weird reason, in a Color Managed DWG Project the exact opposite happens, the GUI video image stays the same if I switch between 2.4 and 709A, but the Mini Monitor output switches gamma between the two settings, and on top of that, the 2.4 setting has lifted blacks compared the 709A settings -- again the exact opposite of what would usually happen on the GUI monitor between the two tags in a standard YRGB project.

I have recreated this issue on two different systems and I can’t figure out what would cause this or what the fix is. The Ultra Studio should be outputting a standard 709 signal with both tags, and the 709A tag should really be just to get a proper lookin gamma on the computer monitor and QT files -- same as it does with a non DWG project.

I don’t have an SDI monitor to test the SDI out of the Ultra Studio, which may be different, I only tested the HDMI on both systems.

I have the latest versions of Resolve, Desktop Video and Mini Monitor firmware on Ventura OS.

My Project Settings:

Color Science: DaVinci YRGB Color Managed
Color Processing: HDR DaVinci Wide Gamut Intermediate
Output Color Space: Rec709A or Rec709 2.4 (causing gamma shift on HDMI out)
System Setting: Use Mac display color profile for viewers -- Checked

Why would this monitoring behavior be different in outputting a 709 signal between a YRGB and a DWG project?
Tamas Harangi
DOP
DIT - IATSE Local 600

ClarkSeverson

Re: Ultra Studio Gamma Output Issue in Color Managed Project

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 4:22 pm

This is a great question. I have the exact same problem.
Studio 18.5.1, MacOS 13.5.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 Ultra
60 Core/128 GB RAM

Return to Post Production