Lost work after crash (even while saved multiple times)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

RRRRegis

Lost work after crash (even while saved multiple times)

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 4:55 am

I spent the whole day working on a Resolve (18.5) Project. After I tried to render the last piece (5 renders total) it crashed. When that happens (not very usual, fortunately) Resolve saves most of the advances on my project, and on top of that I got the good habit of always CMD+S every amount of minutes. But this time that wasn't the case, Resolve re-opened a 6-hour earlier version of the project. How is this possible? I can understand it didn't save the last couple of minutes (I got the live save feature "on" btw) but losing ALL 6 hours of work because of a crash when I saved multiple times throughout the day? Doesn't make sense at all.

Hope someone could help! :(

Uli Plank

Re: Lost work after crash (even while saved multiple times)

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 1:47 am

I feel your pain, but if DR opens the library at all and doesn't see your last save, you may be out of luck.

Could have been a power glitch or anything else going wrong in your machine. I have experienced this only once in all our years with DR.
But from that moment on, I always exported a .drp (project export from the library) to a separate storage at least once or twice a day. According to Murphy's law, I never lost a save from the library again ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

RRRRegis

PostSun Mar 17, 2024 3:39 am

Uli Plank wrote:Uli Plank

Thank you very much! I came to the same conclusion. Lesson learned, cheers!

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 8:11 am

RRRRegis wrote:I spent the whole day working on a Resolve (18.5) Project. After I tried to render the last piece (5 renders total) it crashed. When that happens (not very usual, fortunately) Resolve saves most of the advances on my project, and on top of that I got the good habit of always CMD+S every amount of minutes. But this time that wasn't the case, Resolve re-opened a 6-hour earlier version of the project. How is this possible? I can understand it didn't save the last couple of minutes (I got the live save feature "on" btw) but losing ALL 6 hours of work because of a crash when I saved multiple times throughout the day? Doesn't make sense at all.

I've been using Resolve for more than 13 years, and it's rare that it happens... but I've seen it happen twice (out of thousands and thousands of sessions).

Some possible fixes:

1) on the Edit page, copy the entire timeline (all clips) to the clipboard.

2) with Dynamic Project Switching turned on in the Project Manager, start a new project

3) create an empty timeline and paste all the clips over from the bad project. You now should be able to continue working. (You will of course have to recreate your bins and setup and so on.)

Method #2:

just create a new empty timeline in the bad project. Sometimes, this gives Resolve's save mechanism a kick, and it suddenly starts saving again. (But no guarantees.)

Method #3:

Highlight the timeline name in the bin on the Edit page, then right-click and try to export a DRT of just the timeline. In a different project, import that DRT in a new project and that should work (if it lets you do the export).

I know these problems are frustrating, but they are incredibly rare. In general, Resolve is fairly rock-solid and rarely crashes -- at least for me.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production