Video is Saying "Media Offline" despite running in VLC

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

norogoth

Video is Saying "Media Offline" despite running in VLC

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 8:59 pm

This is my very first project and the very first thing I have attempted to do. I moved clips from my Videos folder into the Media Pool. The video will not show up. It plays on my computer in VLC.

My editor is showing media offline in the media pool. I have tried deleting and adding again.

FYI the video on the bottom here adds fine and previews fine in the editor. So it's not about the access to the main directory. I also tried to copy the file to my desktop and add from there. Same issue.

I have tried clearing the render cache.

Charles Bennett

Re: Video is Saying "Media Offline" despite running in VLC

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:18 pm

Is the drive that the video files are on still connected? NLEs like Resolve don't import files by making copies, they reference the original media. Remove access to the media and you will get it shown as being offline.
Is this the Free or Studio version of Resolve?
Just because a video file runs in VLC it does not mean that it is compatible with Resolve. What was the source of the video clips?
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Joe Shapiro

Re: Video is Saying "Media Offline" despite running in VLC

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 9:53 pm

When Resolve says Offline it really means “I can’t render this.” The file being offline is the most common reason but there are many others and the error message doesn’t distinguish them.

My guess is it’s a codec the free version doesn’t handle (I’m assuming you’re using the free version) or your graphics card and/or driver aren’t compatible with Resolve. Resolve does all its rendering on the GPU which makes it much more sensitive to driver issues.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to Post Production