Cloud Pod-9 Drives attached-But cant connect RAIDs?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bdawson

Cloud Pod-9 Drives attached-But cant connect RAIDs?

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:02 am

OK BLACKMAGIC TECHS!!!! RIDDLE ME THIS!!!!

So as most know, RAIDs are not able to connect to the pod, but any single disk can via the 2-usb-c ports, multiple daisy-chained drives (I am up to 9) using multiple hubs to do it, but cannot even mount a simple 2 drive raid? THE CLOUD POD!!!!

OK Blackmagic, this is absolute nonsense!!!!! So it can spin up 2-3.5", 4-2.5" platters, and 3 SSD drives, but not a single 2-drive RAID! As seen in the pic below, that's now a whopping 26TB across 9 Drives! This is coo coo for coco puffs! Why is this and Blackmagic can you PLEASE address this? I get you want people to cough up money for your larger arrays, but why then release this if we can't take advantage of our existing architecture? I would like an actual official Blackmagic reply on this.

***Disclaimer***-I am not an ultra geek, and while I do understand there are differences in the formatting of a raid vs a simple exfat or MAC OS Journaled drive, beyond that I don't know much of the under-the-hood stuff. I do know that this IS possible and I am guessing it wouldn't be that difficult, if I'm wrong please forgive my ignorance and don't sacrifice me to the tech gods for it, lol.

Check this out...

Insane Cloud Pod Possie.jpg
Insane Cloud Pod Possie.jpg (913.97 KiB) Viewed 516 times

bdawson

Re: Cloud Pod-9 Drives attached-But cant connect RAIDs?

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 4:50 am

So here is a fun little update if any of you are interested.

As long as it's ExFAT, at least a 2-drive RAID will work! I have a Western Digital My Book Duo, and its software allows an ExFAT 0 or 1-level RAID. Both levels work. I am unsure about the larger array as I only have access to this at the moment, but I will soon be making an upgrade to a larger NAS, not for this use, but it will free up a 6-bay NAS that I hope to test next. I will keep you all updated, but provided I can format ExFat, it in theory should work.

Cheers~

Return to Post Production