How to Unbrick an Ultrastudio

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Steve Fishwick

How to Unbrick an Ultrastudio

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:17 pm

Whilst updating to DV 12.9, the firmware update on my US 4K Mini failed. There was no power outs or disconnected cables - just an issue with 12.9. I searched everywhere for a solution; I could find nothing and I really thought it was dead for good. Which would be a disaster right now. No amount of rolling back and forward helped. I even disassembled the unit to try the usb service port. So if you find yourself, in the same boat, this may help, without having to resort to returns or new:

Only Windows, unfortunately but the same command line should work on Mac. Should work for all Decklinks and Ultrastudios.

Make sure the you have at least lights on the panel, and a feint glow to the screen (in some states it will be completely dead but there should be at least the internal blue power led on). First I rolled back to 12.3 (1st Win11 version)

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video and open an administrator command prompt. Then type:

Code: Select all
.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe --help

This will show you a list of commands. You can type then:

.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe --list

To make sure your card or unit is being identified. Then you need to type:

.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe -a -u

Firmware update will then proceed and the unit will come to life. Then you can update as normal. I updated to 12.8.1.

**Warning** I would not update to 12.9 on at least the Ultrastudio 4K Mini, at this stage or you'll more than likely end up doing this again. There appears to be an issue with the firmware update. Obviously all ths at your own risk - but it saved me a few quid and a lot of hasle, I know that.

Jean-Denis Rouette

Re: How to Unbrick an Ultrastudio

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 4:30 pm

Thank you so much, Steve!

This method worked for me and brought my U4K back from the dead and saved my work week.

I emailed BM support requesting that they pull the 12.9 update until it can be fixed.

dsinder

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 4:35 pm

Worked for me. Thanks!

Username

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 1:29 pm

Thanks for the instructions!

Unfortunetly the macOS do not have these binaries or and launching the Desktop Video Setup binary do not offer these arguments.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 1:52 pm

Username wrote:Thanks for the instructions!

Unfortunetly the macOS do not have these binaries or and launching the Desktop Video Setup binary do not offer these arguments.

Unfortunately, I'm totally unfamiliar with Mac. But this app should be present there and I imagine it is a terminal/linux syntax argument based program? Where there should be the same help menu to clarify the orders. Unfortunately too, I think it unlikely BMD, will be much help in this department. I had to dig and dig and it only became possible when in a lightning (or Doh?) moment, I concluded that app must be a command line tool, after it briefly flashed and disappeared. I was almost certain the US 4K Mini, could be simply force re-flashed, it was just working out how.

Alternatively, can you get hold of a PC? With Thunderbolt (If Ultrastudio)? If you are talking about a Decklink card, I understand that is probably impractical anyway. But I have reason to believe - though this might be completely wrong - that the USB service port (present on most devices) will serve the same function. It was the only thing alive on my Windows PC, and could be seen from both Thunderbolt and USB, but not at the same time; either or, in other words. Which suggests, it's there for where it may be necessary to flash in the absence of a Thunderbolt connection (in my case with the US - the service port is internal). You won't see the unit come alive, if this USB service port works like I think, but at least you'll see whether the firmware update successfully completes 100%; and then you can reasonably suppose it's working.

Username

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 2:20 pm

Did some more digging and found it :)

/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Blackmagic DeckLink/Desktop Video Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/DesktopVideoUpdateTool

./DesktopVideoUpdateTool -h
Options:
  -l [ --list ]               List devices
  -u [ --update ]             Update firmware on the specified device
  -d [ --device ] ID          The identifier of the device to update
  -a [ --all ]                Update all connected devices
  -q [ --quiet ] [=LEVEL(=2)] Reduce the verbosity of the output
  -h [ --help ]               Display this help message

./DesktopVideoUpdateTool -l
Available Devices:
 * UltraStudio Recorder 3G (P3196ea80)
     Firmware is up to date
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 pm

Username wrote:Did some more digging and found it

Well done! And thanks for posting back, hopefully this is useful for all of us now :)

ulrichthomsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm

I got this exact problem.. with an Ultra studio 4K mini . a window suddenly came up telling me I need an update . I said ok. it downloaded but only installed halfway and then went black..

This terminal info what am I doing with that? I can find it alright. but I'd love to also roll back the software or firmware.
Can you fill me in as to how to use it ?

best Ulrich
Last edited by ulrichthomsen on Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 built 7

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:00 pm

ulrichthomsen wrote:I got this exact problem.. with an Ultra studio 4K mini . a window suddenly came up telling I need and update . I said ok. it downloaded but only installed walkway and then went bald..

Did this happen whilst installing DV 12.9?

ulrichthomsen wrote:This terminal info what am I doing with that? I can find it alright. but I'd love to also roll back the software or firmware.

You'll have to ask somebody who knows Mac, I'm afraid; but it should be a simple matter of navigating to the folder and invoking the command line, outlined in Petter's post above. In order to roll back, you have to install a previous DV version to the failed one first.

ulrichthomsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:12 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
ulrichthomsen wrote:I got this exact problem.. with an Ultra studio 4K mini . a window suddenly came up telling I need and update . I said ok. it downloaded but only installed walkway and then went bald..

Did this happen whilst installing DV 2.9?

ulrichthomsen wrote:This terminal info what am I doing with that? I can find it alright. but I'd love to also roll back the software or firmware.

You'll have to ask somebody who knows Mac, I'm afraid; but it should be a simple matter of navigating to the folder and invoking the command line, outlined in Username's post above.

I updated DR to 19 Beta 1. then installed Desktop Video 12.9 that's when this window came up telling me about the software update . and it went black. I have a windows 11 Machine too, but it doesn't quite behave as you describe it. I have zero light in the display nothing. usually you can see it has some backlight even though it's still black

I\m geting this

C:\Windows\System32>.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe --help
'.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:20 pm

ulrichthomsen wrote:I updated DR to 19 Beta 1. then installed Desktop Video 12.9 that's when this window came up telling me about the software update . and it went black. I have a windows 11 Machine too, but it doesn't quite behave as you describe it. I have zero light in the display nothing. usually you can see it has some backlight even though it's still black

Did you attempt the install of 12.9 on Windows or Mac? It's important because I believe there is an issue with this version.

It behaved exactly like that on mine; I was referring to the internal blue led that you can only see from the side through the grill - if you don't have that then your unit could be completely dead. Otherwise, as long as the firmware update failure was not as a result of power out or cable out; then your unit is recoverable with the method I outlined.

If you connect a thunderbolt cable and cycle the power several times; the buttons will light up and the screen a feint glow. At other times it will appear completely dead.

Username

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:20 pm

Be cautious.
I've not done this myself so I have no idea if it will help you or cause any other problems.

Open Terminal.app and copy paste this and hit enter, to get you to the correct path:
cd /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Desktop\ Video\ Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/

Copy paste this and hit enter, to run the UpdateTool and list the help:
Options:

Copy paste this and hit enter, it will list all your connected devices:
Available Devices:
     Firmware is up to date

Copy paste this and hit enter, it will update all your connected devices:
./DesktopVideoUpdateTool -u -a

All updates complete
Last edited by Username on Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:28 pm

ulrichthomsen wrote:C:\Windows\System32>.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe --help
'.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

On Windows: that's the wrong folder; you've got to navigate to the folder I indicated in the first post:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video

Then start command prompt from there; you must use administrator command prompt too.

ulrichthomsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:51 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
ulrichthomsen wrote:C:\Windows\System32>.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe --help

On Windows: that's the wrong folder; you've got to navigate to the folder I indicated in the first post:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video

Then start command prompt from there; you must use administrator command prompt too.

not sure I undertand. (more of a Mac guy :) ) I can navigate to that folder in the file explorer. I have this though

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Desktop Video

then a bunch of stuff is in that last folder. but how do you start a command prompt there... ? I can run a command prompt by hitting CMD in search window then I can open prompt as administrator but that gives me the windows System 32
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 pm

ulrichthomsen wrote:not sure I undertand. (more of a Mac guy ) I can navigate to that folder in the file explorer. I have this though

OK, do this type, in command prompt, cd.. until you are at top level, that is C:\. Then:

cd Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video

You will then be in the correct folder. Now you can type:

Firmware update should then proceed. Make sure it successfully completes to 100% and you should then see it come to life.

If you can only find C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Desktop Video as opposed to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video; then you have an older version on that Windows machine. Uninstall that first and install DV 12.8.1, before you attempt the update.

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:39 pm

Jean-Denis Rouette wrote:This method worked for me and brought my U4K back from the dead and saved my work week.

I emailed BM support requesting that they pull the 12.9 update until it can be fixed.

Sorry Jean, I didn't see your post. That's 3 of us on U4Ks, and the only firmware update is for this unit, so definitely an issue with DV 12.9. Thanks for contacting them.

ulrichthomsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:47 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
ulrichthomsen wrote:not sure I undertand. (more of a Mac guy ) I can navigate to that folder in the file explorer. I have this though

OK, do this type, in command prompt, cd.. until you are at top level, that is C:\. Then:

cd Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video

You will then be in the correct folder. Now you can type:

Firmware update should then proceed. Make sure it successfully completes to 100% and you should then see it come to life.

If you can only find C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Desktop Video as opposed to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Desktop Video; then you have an older version on that Windows machine. Uninstall that first and install DV 12.8.1, before you attempt the update.

did all that. says - no device found -
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:55 pm

Your Windows machine definitely has Thunderbolt 3?

Does:

.\DesktopVideoUpdateTool.exe -l

Identify any device? If not check the side of the unit, looking through the grill to verify if you see a blue light? Re-boot Windows and cycle the power (pull the power cord out for 20 seconds and then connect it back); navigate through command prompt to the same location and try again:

If still nothing, I'm afraid your unit may have died physically. But if it is recognised, type then:

Don't panic, keep trying by rebooting and power cycling.

ulrichthomsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 8:13 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:Your Windows machine definitely has Thunderbolt 3?

Does:

Identify any device? If not check the side of the unit, looking through the grill to verify if you see a blue light? Re-boot Windows and cycle the power (pull the power cord out for 20 seconds and then connect it back); navigate through command prompt to the same location and try again:

If still nothing, I'm afraid your unit may have died physically. But if it is recognised, type then:

Don't panic, keep trying by rebooting and power cycling.

I have blue light from inside. if I plug it in, it reads the unit in the device manger under the USB devices. but how do I check if it has thunderbolt 3. it doesnt really say... I\m using a USB-C to USB wire.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

Username

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 8:20 pm

ulrichthomsen wrote:I have blue light from inside. if I plug it in, it reads the unit in the device manger under the USB devices. but how do I check if it has thunderbolt 3. it doesnt really say... I\m using a USB-C to USB wire.

You need a Thunderbolt 3/USB4 cable.
No other type of "USB-C" cable will work.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 8:22 pm

ulrichthomsen wrote:I have blue light from inside. if I plug it in, it reads the unit in the device manger under the USB devices. but how do I check if it has thunderbolt 3. it doesnt really say... I\m using a USB-C to USB wire.

If the PC has Thunderbolt, there will be a Thunderbolt Control Center, in your apps. Opening that will tell you what's connected. You need a Thunderbolt 3 cable too, not a USB-C one. A USB-C to USB will definitely not work at all - you need a TB3 cable, from the Thunderbolt port on the US4K Mini to TB3 port on the PC (it will have a lightning flash symbol)

Alternatively, you can look in Device Manager>Device by Container and look under Ultrastudio 4K Mini>Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K Mini Service Port, should be present and active (not greyed).

If you use it normally under Mac, I would urge you to try there, by following Petter's instructions. I suspect your PC doesn't have Thunderbolt.

ulrichthomsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 8:49 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:

If the PC has Thunderbolt, there will be a Thunderbolt Control Center, in your apps. Opening that will tell you what's connected. You need a Thunderbolt 3 cable too, not a USB-C one. A USB-C to USB will definitely not work at all - you need a TB3 cable, from the Thunderbolt port on the US4K Mini to TB3 port on the PC (it will have a lightning flash symbol)

Alternatively, you can look in Device Manager>Device by Container and look under Ultrastudio 4K Mini>Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K Mini Service Port, should be present and active (not greyed).

If you use it normally under Mac, I would urge you to try there, by following Petter's instructions. I suspect your PC doesn't have Thunderbolt.

yeah I have none of that. don't see service port either. USB3 I have . so that's probably the thing ... but thanks a milllion for your help. I'll try it on Mac. though I did little and it doesn't seem to work. not sure if I'm doing it right either.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

ulrichthomsen

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 pm

Username wrote:Did some more digging and found it :)

/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Blackmagic DeckLink/Desktop Video Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/DesktopVideoUpdateTool

Options:

Available Devices:
     Firmware is up to date

hey Peter can you walk be through this? I have this problem with the UltraStudio. i can find this path that you describe, but when I click on this desktopvideotool I get what is in your message with this added

Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

and then I can type anything more.

Best ulrich
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

ChristofferA

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

Ulrich, you need to run the command in the Terminal.
Opening the app in Finder will give you the result you described.

I'm working myself on this but my UltraStudio Recorder 3G is still wasted. It's found by the system and the Updater in the terminal, but still no function in Desktop Video Setup of the other program (OBS i my case) that I want the UltraStudio Recorder video in. :(

If anybody else knows, is there any way to force an update?
On my terminal, it just saw after not even half a second that everything is updated, even though I rolled back from 12.9 to 12.3. I get a feeling that it's actually not updating or re-installing any firmware through my commands...

ulrichthomsen

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 am

ChristofferA wrote:Ulrich, you need to run the command in the Terminal.

Opening the app in Finder will give you the result you described.

I know, but how...? copying and paste these commands does not do it

I'm working myself on this but my UltraStudio Recorder 3G is still wasted. It's found by the system and the Updater in the terminal, but still no function in Desktop Video Setup of the other program (OBS i my case) that I want the UltraStudio Recorder video in. :(

If anybody else knows, is there any way to force an update?
On my terminal, it just saw after not even half a second that everything is updated, even though I rolled back from 12.9 to 12.3. I get a feeling that it's actually not updating or re-installing any firmware through my commands...
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

ulrichthomsen

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:27 am

ulrichthomsen wrote:
Username wrote:Did some more digging and found it :)

Options:

Available Devices:
     Firmware is up to date

hey Peter can you walk be through this? I have this problem with the UltraStudio. i can find this path that you describe, but when I click on this desktopvideotool I get what is in your message with this added

Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

and then I can type anything more.

Best ulrich

I worked it out. Got it alive again.. thanks a lot.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

Username

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 am

Nice to hear you woke it up again. :)
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Steve Fishwick

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

ulrichthomsen wrote:I worked it out. Got it alive again.. thanks a lot.

Well done mate!

ulrichthomsen

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:28 pm

talked to Black Magic.. a bit surprised that they didn't know about this firmware update flaw and also the fix - which was within their own software.

anyway ...
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
64 GB
Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3

Mootfilm

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:29 am

Thank you so much i have done this and now my Ultra Studio Mini is Back on Life :D

Win11pro

Return to Post Production